Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Favourite Mac OS X bug

Favourite Mac OS X bug
eno
Banned
May 4, 2002, 11:51 AM

My favourite Mac OS X bug (ie. the one I love to hate the most) is the system's window moving behaviour when under heavy load.

This bug is particularly noticeable under heavy load, so if you're a Power User then you're more likely to notice it.

The bug:

switch to an app;

click somewhere in the window that is not the title bar;

wait for the OS to respond to your click;

notice that the OS moves the window to a new location underneath the mouse pointer -- in other words, it interprets your single click inside the window as if you had clicked on the title bar and dragged the window to the final resting place of the mouse.

If you want to recreate this bug then just run a lot of apps. You should know when you're running enough apps because the system will start to feel all bogged down. (Ok, ok, I mean "more bogged down" than usual.) I find the bug is most easily reproduced with slow, buggy, bloated, carbon apps like IE and the Finder.

(Yet another example of where Carbon sucks compared to Cocoa... and I am sick of people defending Carbon... it sucks.)

If you're like me, you are generally running quite a few apps at any one time: web browser, email client, IM app, terminal windows, media players/viewers (iTunes, Preview, GraphicConverter etc), and possible extras like X11R6 and so forth.

It's very frustrating to work when you find that switching to the Finder or IE (or similar) results in an involuntary and time-costly auto-window-relocation.

Once gain, Apple really needs to get it's **** together. I know this is running on a now 2-year-old 500 MHz G4 PowerBook FireWire, but this just shouldn't be happening.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by eno:
<STRONG>My favourite Mac OS X bug (ie. the one I love to hate the most) is the system's window moving behaviour when under heavy load.

This bug is particularly noticeable under heavy load, so if you're a Power User then you're more likely to notice it.

The bug:

switch to an app;

click somewhere in the window that is not the title bar;

wait for the OS to respond to your click;

notice that the OS moves the window to a new location underneath the mouse pointer -- in other words, it interprets your single click inside the window as if you had clicked on the title bar and dragged the window to the final resting place of the mouse.

If you want to recreate this bug then just run a lot of apps. You should know when you're running enough apps because the system will start to feel all bogged down. (Ok, ok, I mean "more bogged down" than usual.) I find the bug is most easily reproduced with slow, buggy, bloated, carbon apps like IE and the Finder.

(Yet another example of where Carbon sucks compared to Cocoa... and I am sick of people defending Carbon... it sucks.)

If you're like me, you are generally running quite a few apps at any one time: web browser, email client, IM app, terminal windows, media players/viewers (iTunes, Preview, GraphicConverter etc), and possible extras like X11R6 and so forth.

It's very frustrating to work when you find that switching to the Finder or IE (or similar) results in an involuntary and time-costly auto-window-relocation.

Once gain, Apple really needs to get it's **** together. I know this is running on a now 2-year-old 500 MHz G4 PowerBook FireWire, but this just shouldn't be happening.</STRONG>
I've seen this also. Very annoying when I'm working with 9-10 apps at once.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
<STRONG>

I've seen this also. Very annoying when I'm working with 9-10 apps at once.</STRONG>
Wow, u have extraordinary multi-tasking skills.
Hmm can't be human...cyborg perhaps?

Targon

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Targon:
<STRONG>Wow, u have extraordinary multi-tasking skills.
Hmm can't be human...cyborg perhaps?</STRONG>
Surely you jest? I have 13 apps open right now and on a heavy load run upwards of 20.

By the way, that click-drag bug is only applicable in Carbon apps. I've never seen it happen with a Cocoa app.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2002, 03:57 PM

Funny when I saw this title I was thinking of the very same bug. But my #1 would be consistent mouse tracking speed (M$ explorer w/X drivers)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Scrod
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 04:16 PM

This doesn't have to happen with Carbon apps. It's just a matter of event loops, threading, and programmers who don't give a crap.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Scrod ]
I abused my signature until she cried.

Phranken9
May 4, 2002, 04:25 PM

I'd like to second the original bug posted above.

My other favorite would be when the frontmost window is behind other windows-happens a lot to me in Adium. I will be typing in Word or something and after receiving a message the window will stay above the window i am typing in Word-i know you know what I mean, I can't be the only one this happens to

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 04:49 PM

1) Yes, I agree with the first bug. After a while of running a few apps and going between them, the wrong window comes forward and is active when you are in another application, etc.

2) Also, when I have a DMG on the desktop (which I have a lot, I download new software from the web all the time), copy its contents over to my HD and then go to trash it, the Finder halts and says "Can't put away, its busy" when I know its not. It has happened to other people as well. But, sometimes it does not come up.

3) Having a pop-up menu that takes up more than the display to show all of its contents (with the arrow on the top, or top and bottom) takes up 75% + of the CPU. I know its not a bug, but its also not needed.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: CheesePuff ]

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: CheesePuff ]

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 4, 2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
<STRONG>Having a pop-up menu that takes up more than the display to show all of its contents (with the arrow on the top, or top and bottom) takes up 75% + of the CPU. I know its not a bug, but its also not needed.</STRONG>
Obviously I have too many favourite Mac OS X bugs to list here but, on the subject of pop-up menus, is it not completely crazy that when you open a contextual menu too near the Dock (or the bottom of the screen), you have to scroll down to see the contents, even though the contents will obviously fit inside the area of the menu!?

Oh, and I agree about the original bug in this thread. It's ridiculous.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2002, 05:39 PM

My favorite bug is the dancing Dock bug. I've never done it, but I've read about it here. Someone had posted a couple .mov's of it. It was quite entertaining, and the coolest bug I've seen yet.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 08:33 PM

I would say mine is the pbs bug which makes my iBook unresponsive for 2 minutes after login.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 4, 2002, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
<STRONG>I would say mine is the pbs bug which makes my iBook unresponsive for 2 minutes after login. </STRONG>
That makes everyone's Mac unresponsive for 2 minutes after login, but we should all be grateful for that particular bug because it gives us time to go and make a cup of tea.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by eno:
<STRONG> Once gain, Apple really needs to get it's **** together. I know this is running on a now 2-year-old 500 MHz G4 PowerBook FireWire, but this just shouldn't be happening.</STRONG>
That's weird, I thought the Powerbook G4's only came out a year and 4 months ago. And I have 10 apps open in the dock too, but I can't for the life of me use more than two or three at a time. How do you people do it?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
<STRONG>

Obviously I have too many favourite Mac OS X bugs to list here but, on the subject of pop-up menus, is it not completely crazy that when you open a contextual menu too near the Dock (or the bottom of the screen), you have to scroll down to see the contents, even though the contents will obviously fit inside the area of the menu!?

Oh, and I agree about the original bug in this thread. It's ridiculous.</STRONG>
I know that bug well
Its a f***ing pain :/

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 12:57 AM

I really hate how when in list view if you click on the columns to sort the folder it'll shrink the name column over and over. This is in OS X 10.1.4 on a TiBook 667 and a DP800.

me17213
May 5, 2002, 03:46 AM

my favorite is the one where I download something, then when stuffit unstuffs it, the unstuffed folder doesn't show up, well atleast until I click and drag a bunch of time in the finder. Sometimes the unstuffed folder will even be put directly under the stuffed archive of it. which makes it nearly impossible to get to unless I go into the file system.

Lew
Senior User
May 5, 2002, 08:55 AM

How about the one where if you open an HTML file from a CD (not sure if this is all browsers. I only use OmniWeb) and then close the browser window, you can't eject the CD until you quit OmniWeb! :roll:

I noticed this when I set up my ntl cable modem as I had to set the whole lot up by hand as I don't have Classic installed. I had to browse round the installation CD to find the correct HTML file to register. Once done, even though I had no OmniWeb windows open at all I was unable to eject the CD until I quit OW as the system informed me that it was in use.

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by GFive:
<STRONG>How about the one where if you open an HTML file from a CD (not sure if this is all browsers. I only use OmniWeb) and then close the browser window, you can't eject the CD until you quit OmniWeb! :roll:

I noticed this when I set up my ntl cable modem as I had to set the whole lot up by hand as I don't have Classic installed. I had to browse round the installation CD to find the correct HTML file to register. Once done, even though I had no OmniWeb windows open at all I was unable to eject the CD until I quit OW as the system informed me that it was in use.</STRONG>
This seems to happen with most other files that you open from a cd or a mounted disc, very annoying..

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by me17213:
<STRONG>my favorite is the one where I download something, then when stuffit unstuffs it, the unstuffed folder doesn't show up, well atleast until I click and drag a bunch of time in the finder. Sometimes the unstuffed folder will even be put directly under the stuffed archive of it. which makes it nearly impossible to get to unless I go into the file system.</STRONG>
Are you using Mac OS X 10.0? How about the Public Beta? Maybe even one of the DP versions... hehe, no seriously - at least for me, Apple fixed this problem with 10.1.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
<STRONG>

Are you using Mac OS X 10.0? How about the Public Beta? Maybe even one of the DP versions... hehe, no seriously - at least for me, Apple fixed this problem with 10.1.</STRONG>
I am using 10.1.4 and it's still not fixed for me either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules