Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Pro Speakers and iSub connectors

Apple Pro Speakers and iSub connectors
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 09:43 AM

I've heard that you need to have a G4 based mac in order to use the Apple Pro Speakers or the Apple iSub. Is this becasue the speakers and subwoofer use a 2.5mm minijack as opposed to the 3.5mm standard minijack and the G4 based macs are the only macs that come with a 2.5mm socket? My Nokia phone came with headphones with 2.5mm connectors on it and an apdaptor from a 2.5mm jack to a 3.5mm socket, can i use this to make the iSub or Pro Speakers work with my iBook or is the 2.5mm connector proprietary and contain some sort of auxilliary power?

Thanks in advance

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 10:32 AM

If you want to use Apple-branded speakers with your iBook, your only option is Harmon|Kardon SoundSticks which connect via USB and have an external amp in the subwoofer to power the satellites. The iSub will work with any iMac/G3/slot-load, eMac, or iMac G4/PowerMac G4 (w/133 mhz bus) coupled with the Pro (sphere) Speakers (not that you don't already know this).

I'm not sure of the jack differences, but the iMac and G4 have a built-in amp to power the Pro Speakers. That's why there's no electrical plug to power them (as in other speakers). When coupled with the iSub, the OS sends the low frequencies to the iSub and the highs to the internal or sphere speakers (again, you probably know this).

The iBook/PowerBook, I believe, lacks the amplifier power to drive the Pro Speakers from the headphone jack (jack differences notwithstanding).

I haven't thought of plugging in my iSub to my iBook. Considering how weak in power the iBook's speakers are, I can't believe it would be a good mix--if the iSub would be recognized at all.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

ShotgunEd  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
If you want to use Apple-branded speakers with your iBook, your only option is Harmon|Kardon SoundSticks which connect via USB and have an external amp in the subwoofer to power the satellites. The iSub will work with any iMac/G3/slot-load, eMac, or iMac G4/PowerMac G4 (w/133 mhz bus) coupled with the Pro (sphere) Speakers (not that you don't already know this).

I'm not sure of the jack differences, but the iMac and G4 have a built-in amp to power the Pro Speakers. That's why there's no electrical plug to power them (as in other speakers). When coupled with the iSub, the OS sends the low frequencies to the iSub and the highs to the internal or sphere speakers (again, you probably know this).

The iBook/PowerBook, I believe, lacks the amplifier power to drive the Pro Speakers from the headphone jack (jack differences notwithstanding).

I haven't thought of plugging in my iSub to my iBook. Considering how weak in power the iBook's speakers are, I can't believe it would be a good mix--if the iSub would be recognized at all.
Thanks for the informative response ScottiB,
Like you said i knew most of the info already but your bit about the internal amplification provided by the G4s was the bit i was looking for. I saw a pair of Pro Speakers (from a new iMac) going for cheap on eBay and thinking they'd be a perfect match for my iBook i thought about bidding, but, I thought i had better check. I have an amplifier with JBL speakers that I use for sound from my ibook but i thought that the Pro Speakers may be a nice addition just for looks, and for use when i didn't want the mammoth sound from my JBLs.
Thanks again, you saved me from making a rash purchase.

Forum Links
Forum Rules