Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing AC Adapter?

Replacing AC Adapter?
DietProZac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 11:01 AM

I have a 12" G4 867MHz TiBook and the power adapter just crapped out on me. It looks like the plastic part where the cord connects to the plug (with the green/amber light) is broken, so I doubt I could get Apple to replace it- they'd just tell me it was abused.

So I'm looking for replacement adapters on eBay to try to save $30, and the closest thing I can find is a part #M8482. That part number doesn't show up on Apples US site (which says I need #661-3049), so it must be an adapter for a different region. This is only slightly different from the adapter I have now, because it's output is 24V and my current adapter's output is 24.5V. Everything else is the same, input, wattage, amps, Hz etc... Just a 0.5V output difference. Will this screw up my computer, or interfere with battery charging in some way? I'd really rather not shell out $80 to Apple if I can get this one for half as much.

Thanks.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 08:50 PM

Personally, for the sake of $30, I would go to Apple and remove any chance of your machine being fried.

You can never be too careful.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 11:42 PM

they will replace it. just take it in. my friend tripped on his power cord (that was stupid and clumsy) and they replaced it. they even knew it was abuse and they replaced it. they especially replace the older power adapters because they tend to break.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

bighead
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 12:09 AM

Go to an Apple Retail Store and ask if they have any open-box or refreshed AC adapters. Last time I found one, it was $35 and someone had opened it and realized it wouldn't work on a PowerBook G3.

Less than half the price, and never used!
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 03:46 PM

yea... first, go to an apple store. MOST OF THE TIME they will not replace it unless it looks like it's possible it could have been defective in some way. They try to give you the benefit of the doubt... remember, this can depend on the person you go to. It's like taking something back to a store after thirty days... depends on what mood that person is in and whether they have a hang over from the night before.

about purchasing a power adapter... get an apple one. no doubt about it. Unless you get a Kensington one or iGo which were made for PowerBooks.. I wouldn't play around.

MOST OF THE TIME, again, the Apple Store does have a "refresh" power adapter for the powerbook. This is indeed due to the fact that a lot of people buy the wrong one, or buy one and return it when their find their old one. They mark these from $79 to $34.95. I got one myself.

Unless you walk in on the last weekend of the month (in which case they'll have the refresh items for the month on a table in the back), you'll have to ask someone politely. Look for someone who is willing to look and not someone who just says, "oh, yea.. what's out here is all we have"

good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules