Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft is a MUST PLAY for Mac Owners

World of Warcraft is a MUST PLAY for Mac Owners (Page 2)
kinokeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 07:03 PM

weezer,
that bug occurs when you turn on vertex animation shaders.
I was playing around with my video options and got that look when I turned it on. If you turn it off, it should go back to normal.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Starman

Whisperwind server
Whatever happened to EQ2?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Whatever happened to EQ2?

Two-timing

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 10:18 AM

Just posting here to make sure I'd be OK. My brother is getting the special edition, and has offered me the 2nd CD if I pay for my own subscription (the SE box has a DVD and CD version of the game, he'd use the DVD).

My Mac's specs are in my sig, graphics card is a 64mb Geforce2 Twinview, other people here with similar specs seem to have run the game ok, but I'm just making sure. The minimum mac specs on the site are a G4 933 with 512Mb RAM and a 32Mb graphics card, so will the exta ram I have make up for having 66MHz less than the minimum specs?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

-Q-
Feb 9, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
The minimum mac specs on the site are a G4 933 with 512Mb RAM and a 32Mb graphics card, so will the exta ram I have make up for having 66MHz less than the minimum specs?
You'll probably encounter lag in severly populated areas (heck, even my Dual 2 encounters lag in IronForge and the like) but the game will be mostly playable. It won't be beautiful and you might get laggy at times, but you'll be able to play it.

And besides, the nice thing about the CD your brother is giving you is that it comes with it's own 14-day trial license. So you can load it up, play and see how it performs w/out spending $$ to find this out.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2005, 12:05 PM

Installed it on my Powerbook last night. Not bad, but choppy in Dalanaar (sp?).

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 05:13 PM

This is one of the best games that I have ever played, and totally changed my impression of MMPOGs (and it runs great on my Powerbook 1.25GHz to boot!).

If anyone on Khadgar is looking to join up, I'd gladly start a Mac guild. My character name is Balban.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 08:18 AM

Coming from 5 years on and off of Everquest (I *cough* quit 3 times) on both the PC and Mac, I had already renounced playing games of this sort but wanted to give it a trial run.

I ran it on my 17" 1Ghz with 768MB Ram at full resolution, mediumish settings. It ran fine and looks great even with the Nvidea 440Go chipset. My neighbor has a 1Ghz 15" with the ATI 9600 and he can enable most the eye candy, it runs great and looks fantastic.

For those with NVidia chipsets, you should disable most the stuff under vertex shading if not all. Some older Nvidia chips don't support pixel shading including the chip in my 17". Blizzard has to change the interface to not allow it for certain chips, for others it's a bug with the drivers. If you're getting the stretched character textures disable all the stuff then check if your chipset will support them.

A few comparisons,
The game is much less processor and graphics card intensive than Everquest or Shadowbane on the Mac. My fans rarely turned on while playing WoW but were nearly always on with EQ.
Shadowbane on the Mac ran better than on the PC when not doing sieges, then it was unplayable, I only played this for the first month as well.

Unfortunately to me Wow was the same old hack and slash with your buddies till odd hours of the night, it a nicer looking environment. If you are new to games like this, it is well designed and developed, if you coming from something similar it can get old quick.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

composer4hire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 01:41 PM

Can people who use mac join a game with people who use pc? Stupid I know

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by composer4hire
Can people who use mac join a game with people who use pc? Stupid I know
Yes, PC and Mac people play together.

Just like all Blizzard Games.

Sony had to do that with Mac only EQ cuz EQ1 was based on old, deep, hard to make cross platform PC networking code.

-Owl

FenderGuy585
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 03:33 PM

Would WoW be hard to see on a small screen of an ibook 12"?

dajk
Jun 16, 2005, 04:33 PM

Lvl 43 Dajk Troll Mage < main
Bloodscalp EU

Lvl 5 Dajkiste (i think) NE Priest < if bloodscalp is down
Burning Blade EU
( Last edited by dajk; Jun 18, 2005 at 06:11 AM. )

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy585
Would WoW be hard to see on a small screen of an ibook 12"?
I play sometimes on my 12" ibook. The screen size isn't the problem for me, the performance is. Of course, my iBook only has a 900Mhz G3 processor in it, but I still use it for traveling between zones.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 03:03 AM

I enjoyed Command and Conquer....is WOW anything like it?

Do you have to spend a lot of time developing characters, or can you just jump into the action and go around causing havoc?

Do you have to play on the net or can you play the computer for free?

How will it play on a rev B iMac G5 20" with 1 gig Ram.

I have heard so much good stuff about it, but just want some of your thoughts.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 03:40 AM

If you haven't you should check out the General and Gameplay. FAQs. They can probably answer a lot of the quests you might ask..
( Last edited by a2daj; Jun 24, 2005 at 04:10 AM. )

Dski337
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 08:10 PM

well, I joined the forum just to ask this so hopefully someone has a good answer. I fell in love with WOW over the school year playing on my roomates pc, but I haven't got it for my Mac yet, I need to buy the new OS and before I do I was wondering how the performance would be. I have a 17 inch iMac with an 800mhz g4 and 512mb of ram. I think I have a 32mb grahics. Before I spend 70 bucks on tiger I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of performance I could expect in the game, mainly in terms of lag. I don't mind turning down the settings, but I am not going to buy everything if the game will stutter a lot. Anyone have a recommendation?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dski337
well, I joined the forum just to ask this so hopefully someone has a good answer. I fell in love with WOW over the school year playing on my roomates pc, but I haven't got it for my Mac yet, I need to buy the new OS and before I do I was wondering how the performance would be. I have a 17 inch iMac with an 800mhz g4 and 512mb of ram. I think I have a 32mb grahics. Before I spend 70 bucks on tiger I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of performance I could expect in the game, mainly in terms of lag. I don't mind turning down the settings, but I am not going to buy everything if the game will stutter a lot. Anyone have a recommendation?
I play on a G4 867, 32MB vid, 896MB ram.

You won't be pleased with your performance. I consider it barely acceptable.

Dski337
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 10:18 PM

Well, not the news I was hopping for, but thanks for the info. Better to know now than a 120 bucks down the road. I'll have to wait till I get my next computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules