Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steve *may* have been using Quad P4

Steve *may* have been using Quad P4 (Page 2)
tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Man, its quite obvious to what Steve was using. He was using a New Pentium Processor run by Squirrels, See, groups of them nest in a computer and do all the data processing themselves. Thus they run extremely cooler then traditional microprocessors, though the nut intake can get rather high during high processor loads.
Monkeys. It was the monkeys. They are taking over.

Seriously. Everyone just needs to chill out. Apple has 12 months to finetune Rosetta to make sure everything works alright and fast. It's pre-release software.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 7, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
... He was using a New Pentium Processor run by Squirrels, ...
Mmmmmh ... squirrel.</Homer S.>

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
The Xeon is a P4 cpu and can run in a multi processor configuration
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...571&l=en&s=hea
http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/xeon/index.htm?ppc_cid=ggl|64bit_xeon|k1749|s

No, the Xeon is Xeon, the Pentium 4 is a Pentium 4.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Features of Rob™
• Ninja mac coding status
• Receding hairline
You know, that Rob looked a lot like OUR Rob. At least it $eemed that way to me.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2005, 10:16 PM

Maybe ninja squirrels. That would make even more sense.

Monkeys, no. They would fling too much poo to be effective in the computer world. Have you ever tried to get a group of monkeys to write Shakespear? Even with a type writer its damn near impossible.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 10:36 PM

Post much?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Post much?
I did have 1872 posts on my old name. A lot of making up to do.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:17 PM

Are you sure it wasn't pigeons?

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

milhous
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 01:28 AM

yep,i saw rosetta as well. one question i have about it, is i'm curious if rosetta will produce any sort of configuration file for each application that requires translation. i did see the load times for photoshop and it seemed fine. i don't use ps personally but i know it's a hefty program with a lot of dependencies. i think it would be cool to have it go through a longer translation process on the first run and then have it run quicker on subsequent runs.
F = ma

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by milhous
yep,i saw rosetta as well. one question i have about it, is i'm curious if rosetta will produce any sort of configuration file for each application that requires translation. i did see the load times for photoshop and it seemed fine. i don't use ps personally but i know it's a hefty program with a lot of dependencies. i think it would be cool to have it go through a longer translation process on the first run and then have it run quicker on subsequent runs.
Short answer is no it doesn't store cached information in a file, but Rosetta does cache repeating actions performed by the software in memory. So basically, the first time the software does an action it will go though the slower translation process. The next time that action is called, it simply runs the previously translated code. As long as you keep an app open, the cache will be retained.

Keeping a file of cached actions might be doable, and is a damn good idea. I wonder if the Dev kits will include any of the rosetta dev stuff so we can make our own modifications to it. Probably not, but we can run the idea by the Apple devs.

<--- Dev kit is on order. Gotta love having a boss who will buy me anything.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Provided they have a Rob™ v1.0 Quark will have no problems.

Features of Rob™
• Ninja mac coding status
• Receding hairline
• Ability to keep hands in pockets the whole dang time whilst on stage...
yea, what was he doing there? just pressing the mouse buttons?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 07:29 AM

Hmmm....
if Apple has the OS running on intel hardware, they have done most of the work obviously, since all the application run on the layer above the APIs and windowing systems(QE). So far the APIs arent changing, thats what will make this transition easier on developers than moving from OS9 to OSX (huge change in the Application programming interface(API)).

The OS/platform from a programmers point of view is unchanged for the most part.

The most work will have to be done on Apps that take direct advantage of the processors (apps that have been optomized for the PPC instruction set and SIMDs (Altivec)). Once those changes have been made to take advantage of SSEx on intel cpus....the bulk of the work is done. then all you have to do is re complie the whole thing, and youll have a running version of the App. tweaking and optomizing is an on going process.....at this point the Apps(such as PS, iMovie,etc) we have best use the hardware...and they wont perform nearly as well on the Mac-in-tel hardware for at least a year or so after the hardware line has been replaced. Remember, developers had builds of OSX way before it was released to uses and bundeled with the machines....and it still took us ahile before the major apps were optomized. (i'd like to hear someone argue against backwards compatibility here).

Cheers

P.S.>> this post is just an opinion, if you have beeter , more accurate info, please correct me. im rather curious, since i am an ADC member and developer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules