Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about start up

Question about start up
BlackFC3s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 08:14 PM

When I turn on my 867 powerbook running tiger i get a series of icons, the first being a square box with a picture of earth in it, then after the picture of the earth i have a folder with a question mark, then after that lol I have the finder symbol within a square box. and finally it boots into mac os X.

My question based on these symptoms, is this normal? because when i first got the powebook it would just display the apple then go to the login screen.

what do you suggest?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 08:43 PM

No, not normal. Sounds to me like your hard drive may be getting ready to give up the ghost.

Actually, on second thought, that may be a NetBoot icon which you're getting at first. Any chance you're holding down the N key while you start booting?

BlackFC3s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 09:20 PM

nope im not holding down the N key. i got a 5400 rpm 120gb hardrive. so i might have a faulty harddrive eh?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 09:21 PM

It's more likely that your Mac is set to NetBoot. Go change the startup disk to your hard drive in System Preferences.
Vandelay Industries

BlackFC3s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 10:23 PM

seemed to help

Forum Links
Forum Rules