Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Internet via Bluetooth-Which Phone/Provider?

Internet via Bluetooth-Which Phone/Provider?
MDiddy
Sep 9, 2003, 07:24 PM

I have an iBook running 10.2.6 and I'd like to be able to wirelessly connect to the internet via Bluetooh (mostly email checking & emergency stuff) I was leaning toward either T-Mobile or Cingular, and the Sony T616 phone.

A buddy of mine has the T68i and I fell in love with the feature.

Can anyone give suggestions/feedback on what phone and service provider would be the best bet?
"Litter is my most treacherous foe. I would like to eat its children."
-Drederick Tatum

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2003, 11:33 PM

Tmobile has an unlimited data plan for an additional 20 bucks a month. That is the best rate you will find. But you want to make sure the phone you buy is supported by Apple. The t68i would work but it is not very reliable when it comes to consistent signal strength.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2003, 09:38 AM

The T610 (T-Mo) and T616 (ATT and Cingular) work fine with the Powerbook and BT connectivity. I demoed a T610 and T-Mobile for the 2 week trial period and had good connectivity and functionality. i didnt stick with the service as the GSM service outside the metroplex and off the main highway paths was spotty and my first priority is phone service. The data service offered by T-Mobile (unlimited add on for $19.99 with a voice plan above $39.99/mo) was suficcient. Speed is similar to a medium dial up, so e-mail and light surfing will be workeable. Although, the T610 has a built in e-mail client that allows for POP/IMAP mail functionality. T-Mobile uses a proxy server that compresses data (gZip format) as a speed enhancer. Not much of an enhancer mind you, but still a bit faster. You have the option of turning it on or off and if you want to use Safari, IE 5.2 you will have to disable it as neither of these is capable of reading the compression script. If you use a Mozilla based browser you can use the proxy and be OK. I also think that Safair in 10.3 will be compatible. Hope this helps.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 09:20 PM

I have the Sony Ericsson T616 with Cingular, and it works great. Can't speak for T-Mobile since they are not available in my area (NC), but they currently have a great plan going with 1000 minutes for $39.99 a month which includes free N&W.

I was with AT&T and the coverage/plans sucked so I switched back to Cingular.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
Tmobile has an unlimited data plan for an additional 20 bucks a month. That is the best rate you will find. But you want to make sure the phone you buy is supported by Apple. The t68i would work but it is not very reliable when it comes to consistent signal strength.
I added "unlimited T-Zones" for $10 a month more. It's as much data transfer as I want. It's not as fast as unlimited Internet (14.4kbps), but it's cheap and it's a great deal.

Look at the SE T610 and Nokia 3650 for good BT phones. The T610 has the edge over the Nokia for battery life and size, and the 3650 has the leg up on reception, software availablilty, screen quality, and built-in camera quality.

WSKCONDOR
Sep 22, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
I added "unlimited T-Zones" for $10 a month more. It's as much data transfer as I want. It's not as fast as unlimited Internet (14.4kbps), but it's cheap and it's a great deal.

Look at the SE T610 and Nokia 3650 for good BT phones. The T610 has the edge over the Nokia for battery life and size, and the 3650 has the leg up on reception, software availablilty, screen quality, and built-in camera quality.
OK,
How do I get my PBG4 1GHz with BT dongle to get internet out of my Nokia 3650 with T-zones enabled? I read previous posts that said just select BT modem and for modem script select Nokia Infrared, then use *77# for a phone number, but that is not working. I am a little bit behind but could someone explain again what CID and APN mean? HOw do I do this easily?

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:22 AM

I use a Ericsson T39 with Tmobile and my Powerbook.

It is great.

Email speed is horrible, BUT, browsing is pretty good, around dial-up speeds. I just tell Mail to warn of downloads greater than 100k.

It is really nice to be totally cordless and only need a phone signal to be on the net with my Powerbook!

And for $20/month for unlimited access, it is hard to beat.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by WSKCONDOR:
OK,
How do I get my PBG4 1GHz with BT dongle to get internet out of my Nokia 3650 with T-zones enabled? I read previous posts that said just select BT modem and for modem script select Nokia Infrared, then use *77# for a phone number, but that is not working. I am a little bit behind but could someone explain again what CID and APN mean? HOw do I do this easily?
For T-Mobile it's *99#.

MattiMattMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 03:34 PM

This is all wrong.

Bluetooth was not invented last month.

There should be more bluetooth phones, and every wireless provider -- from Verizon to Sprint should have them readilly available.

The solutions for getting on the internet using a Powerbook and Cell phone should be way easier.

-MattiMattMatt

Forum Links
Forum Rules