Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Store 2 day shipping - YEAH RIGHT!

Apple Store 2 day shipping - YEAH RIGHT!
ruttopia
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 03:51 PM

Alright, I have to rant. I bought a beautiful new PB G4 with expected ship date of 12/19 and 2 day shipping (free from Apple per the order details - how nice!). Well, it shipped on th 19th (today) alright, except it's not due to get here until 12/26 - the day AFTER Christmas. Ugh.

At least if they aren't going to get here in 2 days, don't advertise 2 day shipping. It even had listed on the FedEx site 12/22 as the delivery date and suddenly it flipped to 12/26 this afternoon.

Not like anyone here cares, but it just sucks. I've been waiting for a long time to order one of these puppies and finally did it anticipating having it for the holidays when I'm out of town... it's just a total bummer.

Good luck to anyone else using this terrific "free 2 day shipping".

Fothb
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 05:00 PM

Heh. Yep. I paid for 2nd Day Air shipping myself and was sent a tracking number that quoted a date four business days away from the original ship date. Then U.S. customs delays stalled the delivery for one additional day. I didn't have the Christmas deadline to worry about though, and I was still elated that it arrived when it did because of all the other PowerBook holdups that other people were talking about.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 07:22 PM

This happened to me last year. I called FedEx and complained like hell. They said it wouldn't be here for two days, and then bam, was here the next morning.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 09:17 PM

on apple's site they say that the 12" and the 17" can come before the 25th and the 15" is after
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 11:04 PM

I ordered my 12in on the 15th, the day before Apple started the free 2nd day shipping. But my PB shipped the same day it was ordered, and it arrived on Thursday the 18th. That is impressive considering it was free standard ground shipping by FedEx.
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 20, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by ruttopia:
Alright, I have to rant. I bought a beautiful new PB G4 with expected ship date of 12/19 and 2 day shipping (free from Apple per the order details - how nice!). Well, it shipped on th 19th (today) alright, except it's not due to get here until 12/26 - the day AFTER Christmas. Ugh.

At least if they aren't going to get here in 2 days, don't advertise 2 day shipping. It even had listed on the FedEx site 12/22 as the delivery date and suddenly it flipped to 12/26 this afternoon.

Not like anyone here cares, but it just sucks. I've been waiting for a long time to order one of these puppies and finally did it anticipating having it for the holidays when I'm out of town... it's just a total bummer.

Good luck to anyone else using this terrific "free 2 day shipping".

Hold that thought for a second. I was also ordered mines using the 2day shipping and just like you, mines was shipped out on a Friday and like you I was given an est date way past 2 days.

I decided to track my shipment thoughout the weekend and noticed that I moved from Friday to Saturday, stop on Sunday and mines was delivered to me on that Monday.

I think what FedEx does is covering themselves by giving you the lastest date just in case something happens. So I think you'll get your Powerbook on Monday or Tuesday.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by CeRtiFiedSkitZo:
I think what FedEx does is covering themselves by giving you the lastest date just in case something happens. So I think you'll get your Powerbook on Monday or Tuesday.
Sure would be nice to be delivered on Monday or Tuesday, huh? Let us know what results. I've been surprised a few times with deliveries MUCH quicker than quoted. Keep the faith.

ruttopia  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I feel better given other experiences and also have accepted that if it comes on the 26th, there's nothing I can do. I've waited this long, what's a few more days right?

I am really anxious to get this thing though... I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks again for the info.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 20, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by ruttopia:
Thanks for the great replies everyone. I feel better given other experiences and also have accepted that if it comes on the 26th, there's nothing I can do. I've waited this long, what's a few more days right?

I am really anxious to get this thing though... I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks again for the info.
Are you tracking your package? If it arrives to your city tonight, then you should get it Monday.

jasonwinn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 05:04 PM

<insert bragging mode>
I love in sacramento, which is about 20 miles from Elk Grove. Whenever I order anything from apple, ground, i literally get it over night. I have ordered 2 copies of panther now, and each time, I got it the next time. One time I ordered it at 11:58PM on a Monday night, and got it on a tuesday afternoon.

<exit bragging mode>
15 Inch Powerbook | Superdrive | 1.25
GHZ | 512 Ram |

KSAC Fixed-Wing Aviator.

ruttopia  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 08:01 PM

Right, well my one confirmation email said it was shipping from CA, but the FedEx tracking is showing it shipping from TW - which I assume is Taiwan?

So ... based on other websites (do a search on TAOYUAN CITY on google) it could be here before Christmas I suppose ... should see an update soon on the tracking.

The fun never stops. Oh well - waiting for my employer to ask why I'm visiting Fed Ex's website every 30 seconds.

ruttopia  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 08:16 PM

Well, I pretty much will be boycotting FedEx at this point. I could have swam to Taiwan and gotten the Powerbook myself. It shipped on Friday the 19th and was in Alaska on Saturday. Made it to Indianapolis at about 4am today. But yet, won't be here until Friday (hasn't moved all day).

I'm trying to figure out what "2 day shipping" means.

I think FedEx has their stuck up their .

Oh well, not like I'd have time to use it tomorrow or Thursday anyway... Happy holidays everyone.

MWeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2003, 09:26 PM

I have something to add here, and need to vent, so here goes...

I order a 15" Powerbook from the Apple store on December 10th and was promised 2-3 days to ship and I paid extra for the 2 days shipping. Not bad...

Then, on the 18th, I was sent and meail saying that there was some type of delay and that they were pushing my delivery date back to December 24th. That was REALLY annoying, but I decided to just deal with it since Apple was going to bump up my delivery to priority next day.

Now, it's 8:30pm on December 24th and I have not received as much as an email from Apple, even though I have spoken to the customer service department and they said that most likely, since the machine wasn't in processing yet, it would most likely be delayed AGAIN for at least another week.

I have always been a fan of Apple computers, but this has gotten to be ridiculous. I am giving them until Friday and then cancelling the order. Especially when I am ordering a $3000 laptop, the least they could do is give me a little more heads up.
( Last edited by MWeinstein; Dec 25, 2003 at 02:33 PM. )

templetalker
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 03:44 AM

You're out of control! Nuff' Said.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 04:08 AM

*looks at his calendar*

Hmm it seems like there's something that happens on the 25th of December. I wonder what that could be. Whatever it is, I bet no one else in the entire world is sending any packages via FedEx. Especially since UPS has pretty much given up on delivery guarantees for the past week or so. I think it has something to do with whatever it happens on the 25th of this month. Oh well, I'll wait until tomorrow to see what it is I'm forgetting.

MWeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 02:34 PM

Well, I finally got an update to my problem. ON the night of the 24th, I have now gotten a reply from Apple saying that my machine was now being pushed back to deliver on or before the 31st.

This has now been 3 weeks JUST to get a laptop. I just hope it's worth it.

ruttopia  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 12:33 AM

Well, it arrived in town Christmas Eve morning. So I called FedEx and picked it up instead of waiting until Friday. To the poster above who says he hopes it's worth it - IT IS. This is the most amazing piece of computer hardware I have ever used.

It's fantastic. The keyboard is just fantastic - it doesn't flex - period. The screen is gorgeous. The feel of the alumnium finish is just outstanding. SOLID is pretty much the best way to describe this machine.

It's COMPLETELY worth it ...

MWeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 12:33 PM

Well, let's hope you are right. As of now, I own a dual G5, a dual G5, a Pismo, a Lombard, and an original TiBook. I have also had a few other TiBooks all the way up to the 800MHz model.

I do agree that it will probably be worth it, but I am shocked that Apple has had such a hard time getting it out the door. I have seen other people that have ordered the SAME machine with the SAME config 1 day earlier than I placed my order, and their unit was at their dorr in a week.

If the drives are in short supply, I will take a stock unit. The problem that I am having is that I can't get an answer 1 way or the other. This seems to be more of a customer service issue than anything else.

MWeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 01:22 PM

I'm really starting to lose faith. After just checking my order status with Apple, I noticed that they have again pushed my delivery date back to January 7th now. I have received NO notification of this delay and apparently, my original order was cancelled and then resubmitted to the system.

This is getting ridiculous! 30 days for a laptop? In addition, my shipping had previously been bumped up to priority next day after the other 3 delays, but now, it shows 2 day again.

I'm giving this another 24 hours before I cancel my order. As much as I dislike CompUSA, at least THEY could give me my laptop right away.

ruttopia  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 10:21 PM

What config did you purchase? Mine shipped in 3 days - it was the 1.25ghz 15.2" with combo drive, 1 512kb memory chip, 5400rpm 80gig drive...

MWeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 11:22 PM

I ordered the same config. I'm the only one in history that seems to be having this problem. Apple is now claiming that it's "In Process", but I wont know until tomorrow when I get some kind of confirmation.

When you got yours, was it all ok? Any issues with the screen warping? whits spots?

MWeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 08:56 PM

Well, I got SOME progress. The system actually shipped today, but instead of the 2nd day shipping that I PAID for, and the priority shipping that Apple upgraded me to after 3 delays, the shipped it ground. AMAZING!

My advice to anyone buying a machine from Apple..... go to an Apple store or a local retailer where you can have the satisfaction of walking out the door with it. The level of customer service that I am getting with the online ordering department is ridiculous, and I say that I have been waiting on hold for 21 minutes now just tryig to ask WHY they didnt ship the way that I paid for in the first place.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 07:49 PM

It took apple two months to get me pre-ordered copy of panther. I kept trying to cancel, but they wouldn't do it. They said every day for a month (I called 6 times and emailed 15) that it was going to ship the next day (even when I told them they'd been telling me that for ever) and they no longer had the ability to cancel it and I needed to mail it back once I got it. Worst shipping experence ever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules