Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone own a Mini?

Anyone own a Mini?
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 01:07 PM

I'm in the market for a new car and test drove a Mini Cooper this weekend and I love it. Been doing a lot of research online to get more of a feel for what I can expect if I decide to get one. Anyone here own one? Have any experience you'd like to share?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 01:11 PM

I seem to remember that some of the early ones had a lot of mechanical issues...

could still be true I have no idea...

-Zach

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2008, 01:20 PM

If you know anyone who has a Consumer Reports account, you could check.

Edit: Someone linked to it. Apparently reliability of the 2007 and newer is "above average" rating.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2008, 01:26 PM

There's also the Mini Clubman. It's longer, more roomier, and has a softer suspension for a smoother ride. The Cooper is pretty rough because of its tight suspension.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 01:29 PM

I have an '06 and absolutely love it. I've had it for about 16 months now (got it in March '07 as one of the last '06 models) and have had no issues. It's lots of fun to drive - many will argue but it's probably the best-handling car you can buy for under $50K. Easy to park, decent fuel economy, and good (not great) power. I have a Cooper S. It's also pretty versatile - it holds a lot of stuff if you fold the seats down - I've carried 12 rolls of sod in it when we were doing some landscaping work.

Note that the Mini has been redesigned starting with the '07 model year ('09 for convertibles). It looks very similar but pretty much every piece of the car was reworked, so it's really a different car, but generally has the same characteristics. It's also got a more modern engine that is both more efficient and more powerful.

My wife also has one - also an '06 (Cooper), no issues with that either. She loves it too.

I've heard that the early run models ('02-'03) had some issues but things generally stabilized after that. We haven't had ours very long but haven't had any problems, so take that as you will. I've heard the new models ('07+) have done reasonably well but it's also quite early in their run...

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 01:35 PM

4 months and 7,000 miles into ownership of our 2008, I am pretty happy. Ours is the last of the first generation, a supercharged tritec convertible. The newer ones are BMW/MINI/Peugot designed engines with turbos optional. The mileage is a big improvement over the previous generation from what I hear. The body, interior, and options have all changed slightly.

Apparently, new ones are hard to find right now. Used models have high resale values.

Be warned the MINI has a cult-like following not unlike Apple. If you'd like to get a taste of it, visit the NAM site:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
There's also the Mini Clubman. It's longer, more roomier, and has a softer suspension for a smoother ride. The Cooper is pretty rough because of its tight suspension.
I like the tight right of the Mini - actually one of the things that makes it fun IMO.

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
I have an '06 and absolutely love it. I've had it for about 16 months now (got it in March '07 as one of the last '06 models) and have had no issues. It's lots of fun to drive - many will argue but it's probably the best-handling car you can buy for under $50K. Easy to park, decent fuel economy, and good (not great) power. I have a Cooper S. It's also pretty versatile - it holds a lot of stuff if you fold the seats down - I've carried 12 rolls of sod in it when we were doing some landscaping work.

Note that the Mini has been redesigned starting with the '07 model year ('09 for convertibles). It looks very similar but pretty much every piece of the car was reworked, so it's really a different car, but generally has the same characteristics. It's also got a more modern engine that is both more efficient and more powerful.

My wife also has one - also an '06 (Cooper), no issues with that either. She loves it too.

I've heard that the early run models ('02-'03) had some issues but things generally stabilized after that. We haven't had ours very long but haven't had any problems, so take that as you will. I've heard the new models ('07+) have done reasonably well but it's also quite early in their run...
That's good to know. It seems to me that everyone with late model versions are very happy so far. There were some issues with a "rattle" from the engine compartment from '05 and before from what I can find. But other than that they look like well built little machines.

Originally Posted by quesera View Post
4 months and 7,000 miles into ownership of our 2008, I am pretty happy. Ours is the last of the first generation, a supercharged tritec convertible. The newer ones are BMW/MINI/Peugot designed engines with turbos optional. The mileage is a big improvement over the previous generation from what I hear. The body, interior, and options have all changed slightly.

Apparently, new ones are hard to find right now. Used models have high resale values.

Be warned the MINI has a cult-like following not unlike Apple. If you'd like to get a taste of it, visit the NAM site:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/
Already a member of NAM. I actually like the community there - almost feels like the Apple community to me. I can still get in on the '08 models with my local dealer, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger this week.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2008, 02:19 PM

Has anyone converted the doors to suicide doors? Why'd they stop making those? It's so much easier to get into and out of a vehicle. For whatever reason, it seems more classy.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Has anyone converted the doors to suicide doors? Why'd they stop making those? It's so much easier to get into and out of a vehicle. For whatever reason, it seems more classy.
No - and it's funny - the doors on my Mini open almost to 90 degrees. Great when there's no one next to you, but usually not very useful.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 02:37 PM

Another question - does anyone have a center armrest? And if so, does it get in the way of shifting? I've been warned on NAM about the armrest and now I'm hesitating (I was going to get one for sure).

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 02:41 PM

I have one. However, I have an automatic (yes - I know. First one in 20 years - couldn't take shifting in Chicago traffic any more). But it doesn't get in the way of shifting and doesn't seem like it would shifting a manual.

I'm also pretty tall (6'5"), so that may impact it too. People sometimes look at me funny when I get out of such a small car...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 02:47 PM

I don't have one, but I wanted to corroborate the Consumer Reports findings. In their April 2008 auto issue, they gave it an "Excellent" (their highest) reliability rating. They also just loved the car in general.

If you can afford it, I'd get one. You'll have to buy new (used ones are hard to come by and expensive), but that's part of the fun. And definitely go for the standard model (or the S if possible). I dislike how cars these days are always becoming larger, softer, and slower. The Mini defies these trends. However, I haven't driven either the Cooper or the Clubman, so I can't say how they compare, just that I think the Clubman looks too big. Apparently it still handles pretty well, but do you really need the extra space?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 02:53 PM

I haven't driven a Clubman yet, but from everything I've heard, they ride and handle very much like the 'regular-size' Mini. Surprised some folks. It's still a really small car - the Clubman is shorter than a Civic, for example. Most folks have said you don't lose much, if anything, in driving characteristics with the Clubman.

If I really needed the extra space (kids, etc.), I'd get one. But I agree I prefer the regular Mini. And I'm also not a big fan of the dual 'barn doors' on the Clubman - much prefer a hatch.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Already a member of NAM. I actually like the community there - almost feels like the Apple community to me. I can still get in on the '08 models with my local dealer, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger this week.
Are you planning to get a tintop or a convertible? Just wondering if you're getting the new or older design...

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 04:00 PM

Here's what I have configured right now:

2009 Nightfire Red Mini Cooper Hardtop

May stop by the dealer tonight and put down a deposit, but it would be on a new '08 (last of the production line) because the wait on the '09s will be too long for me I think.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 04:05 PM

Nice! I LOVE the Nightfire Red color. Saw it on a floor model one day when at the dealer for maintenance. (Same day I sat in the Clubman...). Beautiful.

I don't think the 08s and 09s are going to be materially different. Probably the biggest difference will be a price increase, so not bad to get the last of the 08s...

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Nice! I LOVE the Nightfire Red color. Saw it on a floor model one day when at the dealer for maintenance. (Same day I sat in the Clubman...). Beautiful.

I don't think the 08s and 09s are going to be materially different. Probably the biggest difference will be a price increase, so not bad to get the last of the 08s...
In talking with the salesman (or MA as the mini guys all call them) the '09s had about a $500 bump in MSRP, but now dynamic stability control is standard. Before it was a $500 option. So they really didn't go up, they're just forcing you to choose that option (and you can thank Congress for that one)...

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 04:41 PM

I am glad to see this thread, I'm looking at cars too, and plan to pick up a new one this weekend. I"m down to two cars: A Mini and a Honda Civic Si coupe. I haven't driven either yet. Anyone have thoughts on how these two cars compare?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 05:02 PM

You probably have a long wait before you'll get your new mini...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mini-dea...ed-for-us.html
Vandelay Industries

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 05:48 PM

I love the mini. Unfortunately for me, it's not a practical car. I need something I can get two kids in easily and regularly, and even the clubman is a bit small. It's not so much that the car itself is small, there are quite a few smaller cars over here that seem to make more efficient use of the interior space. But none are anywhere near as much fun to drive.

The other problem with minis in the UK is that they are everywhere. My in-laws are visiting from the states and pointed out 14 in a parking lot of no more that 100 cars. In the states, at least when I left a few years back, they still seemed a bit unique.

All that being said- go for it. I don't know anyone that has one that doesn't love it.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You probably have a long wait before you'll get your new mini...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mini-dea...ed-for-us.html
My dealer is busy, but not THAT busy. He says that as long as I order before the end of the week I can have an '08 set to be built in mid-August.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 09:59 PM

Well I ordered mine tonight. Should go into production 2nd week of August!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2008, 11:02 PM

Yup. Got mine last year, and the "newness" still hasn't worn off for me! I joined NAM and did a *lot* of reading before I decided to pull the trigger and get one. I thoroughly enjoy it overall, and have yet to have a single issue with it. Welcome to NAM, btw.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2008, 12:16 AM

pffft, does anyone else have a real mini?

I've got a 1977 one i drive everyday. My grand mother bought it new off the showroom floor (still got the receipt) and gave it to me in 1996 as my first (and only) car.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 12:37 AM

I love my Mac Mini.

Oops. Wrong Mini.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post

I've got a 1977 one i drive everyday. My grand mother bought it new off the showroom floor (still got the receipt) and gave it to me in 1996 as my first (and only) car.
I thought about getting one as a runabout to park at the train station, but after test driving 2, both 90's versions in excellent condition, I decided against it. It was remarkable that they truly were 30 year old cars that happened to have been built 15 years ago. I love the look, the size and the drive, but pretty damn uncomfotable driving position and pushing in the clutch was like doing leg presses.

But, what cool looking cars. Seeing one in really nice condition is a thing of beauty.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
The other problem with minis in the UK is that they are everywhere.
No love for Alfa MiTo?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 12:24 PM

2008 diesel mini, 50+ mpg.

Too bad diesel (in my area) is over 50 cents more than premium unleaded. Sticking it to the truckers.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
No love for Alfa MiTo?
Alfas are beautiful, but the MiTo is disgustingly ugly. I'd rather drive around in the Ambiguously Gay Duo's Penis Car than be seen in one of those things.

And this is coming from a guy who just bought a Honda Fit.

moep
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 03:37 PM

Why not wait a year for the electric version

PS: the MiTo is beautiful.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 04:09 PM

The most I can give you is that it's a butterface car.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Alfas are beautiful, but the MiTo is disgustingly ugly.
I just fail to see how this can be ugly…

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 04:51 PM

I think it's just that it's trying to combine some of Alfa's traditional styling cues with the bulbous look of your typical small hatchback. The lines just don't work for me. I prefer the Alfa 159 and Brera. If they had just made a miniature version of that I'd be much more enamored with it.

That said, I'm in the U.S. so unfortunately (fortunately?) I'll probably never be able to own an Alfa.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 05:50 PM

I got one of the first batch of "new" minis when they were released in HK (2002), drove it for 10 months (almost 20,000 kilometres) and sold it again for exactly what i paid for it.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Another question - does anyone have a center armrest? And if so, does it get in the way of shifting? I've been warned on NAM about the armrest and now I'm hesitating (I was going to get one for sure).
I've got one, and despite all the complaining on NAM about them, I like mine. And it absolutely does NOT get in the way of shifting (I've got the six-speed manual). I'd go so far to say I'd be annoyed if I didn't have the armrest...I wouldn't know where to put my arm when not shifting.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

I just learned last week what butterface means. </old person>

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
I've got one, and despite all the complaining on NAM about them, I like mine. And it absolutely does NOT get in the way of shifting (I've got the six-speed manual). I'd go so far to say I'd be annoyed if I didn't have the armrest...I wouldn't know where to put my arm when not shifting.
Yeah I got one on mine too. I couldn't test drive one with it but it just felt weird with nothing in the middle...

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Same here about where to put my arm when not shifting. Which, with the automatic, is most of the time.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Why not wait a year for the electric version
Now that's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of thing that may make me trade in my 1st-gen Mini (R53) for a 2nd-gen (R56). I'll be curious to see the performance characteristics on this (range, charge time, speed, etc.).

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 11:32 PM

Well said. I like the overall shape and most of the lines, but that front end looks like a Subaru Tribeca. Uuuuuuggggglllllllyyyyyyy!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 12:15 AM

Anyone here modded their MINI? I added a cold-air intake to mine. I don't think it makes much difference in speed, but it's cool to hear the turbo working. That's one of the fun things about MINIs, along with a lot of Japanese cars. Adding parts gives the car even more character.

chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2008, 04:48 PM

Anyone have a clubman version?

chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2008, 04:49 PM

OMG if they sell lease a electric one here in Chicago, I would actually buy a new car

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2008, 01:14 PM

Saw a really good sticker on a Mini a while back

100% Mini
0% BMW

Get a REAL Mini. Much more character.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2008, 08:48 PM

I wonder if the electric mini would be only for lease or you actually get to buy it.

Perhaps you buy the car and lease the battery packs?

Roscoe
Baninated
Aug 5, 2008, 12:37 AM

Keep in mind a stock 1st generation dodge neon outhandles the mini cooper. Yes, neons have crap interiors, but for people who really like driving, want to get about the same or better mpg, and don't feel like dropping 15 grand on a small car, get a 1st gen neon. As fast or faster, better handling, crappy interior, dirt cheap.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 02:00 AM

Just make sure you get a manual (even though that should go without saying). Those old Neons had 3-speed autos

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 03:45 AM

My wife has an `07 Cooper S, it's a fun little ride. Makes wonderful engine noise when you flog it, and handles surprisingly well for it's price point.

Neons? Meh. I owned one years ago, a `98 Plymouth Expresso (or some such thing). Got it to tool around in because I'd heard they were fun, cheap rides. Well, it was rather quick, but it's handling left something to be desired and it felt really cheap (mostly because it was). There's no way I'd compare it to a new Mini, they're leagues apart in quality and handling.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 08:44 AM

I used to have an 06 Cooper S. I covered 30k miles or so in just under a year.

I'll preface this post by giving you a short background, so you can put my comments in context - I am over 30, have had an extensive collection of performance cars (both front and rear wheel drive), had a lot of professional training on both bikes and cars, and regularly do track days and events.

Ok to the Mini Cooper. For the first few months I *loved* it, but as time wore on, I got exceedingly tired of the little niggles when I compared it to other cars, and traded it after 10 months or so.

My prime annoyance was the gearbox, a 6 speed manual. It was *so* stiff and clunky. It was nigh on impossible to 'heel and toe' gear change, and when changing gear under acceleration, it was very on/off and jerky. I first thought it may need to be run in, or have the oil up to temperature, but after 30k miles, it was only worse. It made town driving such a pain, I often preferred to take the tram after a few months!

Things were made worse by the 'long' clutch on Mini's. Really doesn't help the gearbox issue, and also makes it really hard to steer the car on the throttle, when it should be a breeze. It is either engaged, or not engaged, and can be hard to balance.

Suspension was hard, not spine shatteringly so, but still lacked some compliance over different surfaces that I had expected.

Torque Steer. By god do you get torque steer!

Fit and finish in the cabin was not great after a year. There were significant rattles and squeaks that drove me *nuts*.

My girlfriend *loved* the style and look of the car, it was undeniably cool, but found it awful to drive due to the 'snatchy' nature of the clutch, and the gearbox issue... she infinitely preferred her Golf GTi.

I have driven Mini's since, and have to say that if you have to get one, the 'S' is not worth it for town driving, with the standard Cooper being more compliant. They are a good car, but not as good as the hype suggests, and I'd say to look at all your options.
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Aug 5, 2008 at 08:50 AM. )

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post

Used to have a 1967 Cooper S. I miss it every day

I also had a 1990 Rover Special Product (RSP) Limited Edition Mini, brought out when they reintroduced them. Not as fun as the original, but still brought a smile to my facr every time I drove it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules