Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone upgraded from 500 to 800?

Anyone upgraded from 500 to 800?
jindrich
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 08:35 AM

hi you all,
i bought the 500dvd model last year and all i can say is i wasted my money (�2300); this thing just doesnt run osx at all. As an example, in freehand 10 toggling between the current tool and the "hand" (by pressing the space bar) takes half a second. That's enough for me to make it unusable. Similar behaviour with photoshop, dreamweaver or logic audio (not to mention IE, finder speed, iphoto...). this stupid slow ibook has got me nuts.

i need a new laptop and i fear the 800 wont be fast enough either so i'll have to buy a dell or so laptop pc (if only i find one thats silent). i'm not fool enough to pay �4300 for the Titanium, btw

So, have any of you upgraded from a 500 to 800ibook? My main concerns:
-speed: i need a HUGUE improvement here.
-HD noise: mine was silent when i bought it. now it's unberably noisy. same with 800? is it any faster?
-Fan noise: at least the 500 never turns its fan on (not even under 9) that's critical fro me to do location audio recording. does the 800 fan kick on under 9/X? is it noticiable? (if you can hear it at 1 meter distance thats bad for me)
-does the hinge squeek as the 500?
-is it any hotter?
-any change in battery life?
-how fast can you rip cds in itunes? (to have comparison)
-have you tried VPC with w98se/2000/xp? (mainly to check webs in IE)

anyhing else to report? i'm using photoshop (no bigger than 20MB), freehand, illustrator, dreamveaver, fireworks, flash, Logic audio, exs24, ProtoolsLE, Reason, office, iphoto, vectorworks.

i'd be more than glad if i had the performance of my desktop IBM pIII 800

hope you can help me,
thanx in advance.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 10:10 AM

What's your RAM?

If you get a new 800 MHz iBook with 640 MB of RAM running OS X 10.2 it will be fine. Also run Windows 2000 SP3 with Virtual PC 5.0.4, thats as fast as you will get, but still won't be no speed demon.

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 11:17 AM

I went from an iBook G3/500 Combo to an iBook G3/800 Combo. Both were running OS X 10.2 and had 640MB of memory and a 40GB Toshiba drive I installed a while ago.

Speed:
- 500MHz to 800MHz processor
- 256K L2 cache to 512K L2 cache
- 66MHz system bus to 100MHz system bus

Technically you'll double your speed. While we all know that doesn't happen in the real world I was in the same situation as you with the G3/500 not cutting it in speed. I haven't had a single complaint about the G3/800. Also keep in mind that the greatly increase video card (8MB to 32MB) will help a lot, especially in OS X 10.2.

Hard Drive Noise: I never had a major problem with the old or new hard drive in any of my iBooks. Hopefully a new 30GB drive will be quite for you.

Fan Noise: The fan does kick on (after a good bit of use, mind you) and you can definitely hear it. It is much louder than the older iBooks. I haven't measured out the sound but I also work near a dozen computers so there is always fan noise even if I walk away from my iBook. You may be safe at 1 meter but I don't know for sure. However you will have this problem, and possibly to a greater degree, with any P4 laptop.

Hinge Squeak: Nonexistent. That was fixed a generation or two ago.

Heat: I'm noticing my hard drive (which was in my old iBook as well) seems to get a bit hotter. I use a Tote and Tilt device to elevate and help cool my iBook but it is a bit hotter. Nothing like the TiBooks, though.

Battery Life: Seems longer to me. Then again after using any battery for a while, like with your iBook 500, battery life waivers so a new battery always help I will say that while running half a dozen programs, including one in Classic, connected to AirPort, and occasionally burning CDs my battery latest over two and a half hours without any battery conservation in play.

CD Ripping: With nothing else of major resource need running I can rip most CDs around 8x mark. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. If you rip while in Classic or another processor intense programs look for 2x to 4x rip speeds.

Virtual PC: I run VPC w/Windows 2000 Pro. Still slow as hell but there is some improvement. Should be fine for just web spot checks.

I use my iBook for home and work and run everything from AppleWorks to Photoshop and Final Cut Pro on the thing. Considering how there isn't a decent PC laptop within the same price range on the market I think you will be better off with the upgraded iBook.

You may want to look at the 14" model since that has a larger batter and there may be less of a fan issue since there is more internal space to dissipate heat.

jindrich  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 12:07 PM

red wolf,
thank you very much for your report, just what i was looking for.
i went this morning to the apple dealer here and they dont have an icebook for testing (in all, they only have the cheapest emac on display!). if i ever do it, i'll buy it directly from the applestore on the net. just dont know how this stupid shop hasnt closed doors yet.

i'm running on 128ram. i know i should've upgraded to 640(�360) but didnt want to waste more money on this crap slow box. all my problems are cpu related. i'm not new to macs so i can confirm this by myself.

the new 12" 800ibook costs �1800 here (FYI 1�=1US$), so i can have a quite decent p4 laptop for almost the same. problem is that they (PCs) make a lot of noise with the fan almost always on (as my brother's new HP P4 laptop: 15",2ghz, 256RAM, 30GB, Combo, 32MBvideo, �1800).
But if the 800 registers generous fan activity (i�ll use 9 too as some audio apps are not ported yet) there's nothing to be gained (as i'm sure the 800 will be WAY slower than a P4 laptop).

...but the fvcking Jobs bought emagic so they no longer develop logic for Windols

anyone else want to chime in here? comparisons with desktop PCs are welcomed too.

Panzer
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 12:27 PM

You might want to consider getting more RAM. 128MB is simply not enough. A 256 or 512 chip will probably make a big difference on your 500, speeding it up enough to make it more usable. I had a 500 and adding ram really helped it out.
Remember that the RAM you get can also be used in the 800 if/when you decide to get that (provided it's PC100 or above). It would help you out now, and you could use it in a faster machine if you end up getting one later.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by jindrich:
i'm running on 128ram. i know i should've upgraded to 640(�360) but didnt want to waste more money on this crap slow box. all my problems are cpu related. i'm not new to macs so i can confirm this by myself.
You definitely need more ram. Even a 256 MB chip, which would bring you to 384 total, will make a difference, and they're more than 50% cheaper than the 512's right now, at least here in the US. But you are right, it won't solve all your problems.

I currently have an iBook 500w/ 384 MB ram, and just ordered a new iBook 800 (still 12") mere moments ago (I have another 256 MB for it also.) I should get it by the end of the week, and I'll let you know how it goes.I'll run them side by side for a day to get an idea of the improvement, then I'll have to sell the old one.

I'm expecting the 100 MHz bus and 32 MB VRAM to give much more of a speed boost than the processor upgrade. I thought about overclocking the old iBook myself, but chickened out

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2002, 02:53 PM

Yes, while the ibook 500 is no speed demon, you were just setting yourself for frustration by running it with only 128mb. I think it wouldn't be quite so "crap slow" if you put a reasonable amount of memory in it.

You could buy the memory now and try it in your computer and if you aren't satisfied with the improvement you can get the new ibook and transfer the memory to it (you'll want to be buying memory for the new one anyway).

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 03:56 PM

red wolf,
thank you very much for your report, just what i was looking for.
i went this morning to the apple dealer here and they dont have an icebook for testing (in all, they only have the cheapest emac on display!). if i ever do it, i'll buy it directly from the applestore on the net. just dont know how this stupid shop hasnt closed doors yet.

the new 12" 800ibook costs �1800 here (FYI 1�=1US$), so i can have a quite decent p4 laptop for almost the same. problem is that they (PCs) make a lot of noise with the fan almost always on (as my brother's new HP P4 laptop: 15",2ghz, 256RAM, 30GB, Combo, 32MBvideo, �1800).
But if the 800 registers generous fan activity (i�ll use 9 too as some audio apps are not ported yet) there's nothing to be gained (as i'm sure the 800 will be WAY slower than a P4 laptop).

...but the fvcking Jobs bought emagic so they no longer develop logic for Windols

anyone else want to chime in here? comparisons with desktop PCs are welcomed too.
Buy more RAM. 128MB is what Apple recommends to run kid's applications and games.

If you want to get real work done, upgrade it to as much as you can. while the G3 500 is no speed demon, my new G3 800 is reallyy fast; and - with the RAM maxed out I'll be able to do a lot of the stuff you do. Try updating the RAM, if that doesn't work, upgrade and move the ram over.

Seriously, 128MB of RAM? I woner why I spent two weeks with 128MB.

jindrich  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 05:41 AM

as for my 128MB RAM,
it's a joke apple ships those machines with that bare minimum, but i know my problems are not memory related. for that reason i try to run a single app at a time, and i monitor the HD swapping activity trhu the terminal, so i know what i'm doing. i can assure you the computer doesnt run out of memory at all just to toggle between tools in freehand or in Word, or scroll somthing, or the time it takes to show a photo in preview etc, etc. that's all cpu.

i havent bought the (�360) 512MB chip because i'm seriously tempted to buy a pc laptop instead.

just checking if the upgrade to the 800 wont be ANOTHER waste of money.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 07:13 AM

as for my 128MB RAM,
it's a joke apple ships those machines with that bare minimum, but i know my problems are not memory related. for that reason i try to run a single app at a time, and i monitor the HD swapping activity trhu the terminal, so i know what i'm doing. i can assure you the computer doesnt run out of memory at all just to toggle between tools in freehand or in Word, or scroll somthing, or the time it takes to show a photo in preview etc, etc. that's all cpu.

i havent bought the (�360) 512MB chip because i'm seriously tempted to buy a pc laptop instead.

just checking if the upgrade to the 800 wont be ANOTHER waste of money.
Hah, thats what you think.

If you buy the 512 MB chip now and install it on the 500, it will be a world of a difference. Also do a fresh install of OS X 10.2 at the same time.

And then get the 800 MHz and move the RAM over.

mkummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 07:14 AM

I had a 500 iBook (with 384 Mb) and upgraded to a 800 with the same RAM. First, I found the 500 convenient to work with (Sibelius and Internet mostly) but now with the 800 I am more than content. The price-worth/usability ratio is fully OK. In general, I dont notice much of a speed difference between my G4 (867) and the iBook, except for ripping CDs for iTunes/iPOD. Since I use Airport, the little baby is fine working on my knees. I like it and I recommend it.
Regards, Michael

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 01:30 PM

as for my 128MB RAM... i know what i'm doing.

jindrich: I agree that Apple shouldn't be shipping any systems with only 128MB RAM in this day and age. However, that is no excuse for not upgrading the RAM! If European RAM prices are too high, buy RAM from a US dealer that will ship to Europe. The ball is in your court. Buy more RAM now!

If noise is of central concern to you, I suggest you buy more RAM but stick with the iBook/500. Any Wintel laptop is bound to be noisier than your iBook/500 and probably the iBook/800 as well.

BTW: I have an iBook/500/CD that shipped with only 64MB of RAM. Adding 256MB for a total of 320MB made a world of difference. If 512MB is too expensive, buying "only" 256MB will cost you less than half.

Good luck with your decisionmaking process. But make sure to act instead of agonizing over your paralysis.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

OSXDamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 06:26 PM

jindrich,
The difference from 500 to the 600 model alone is a considerable increase. So I can only assume the 800 is awesome. Regardless, these iBooks are a totally different machine with a memory upgrade. Even just adding 256RAM. I suggest you max out your memory. I can assure you, your problem is DEFINATELY memory related. I have tried both the 500 and the 600 models. The 600 is way better. The 800, is just as fast as the G4 667, per reports(Macworld). In some cases, faster. I think you will be definately happy with an 800, w/maxed out memory. Hope this helps.
Regards,
OSXDamon

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 10, 2002, 06:57 PM

128 RAM?!?!?

NO WONDER YOUR IBOOK IS SLOW

Please, OS X takes all your system memory, even with 256MB RAM on my old iBook - I was still at least getting a page-out or two to the hard disk - and that was with NO applications open.

As with everything in Mac OS X, RAM makes a big difference...

DO THESE TWO THINGS:

1) Max out your RAM to 640MB

2) Take your display down to THOUSANDS OF COLOURS

The ATI Rage Pro just doesn't cut it to run Mac OS X in millions of colours.

And now watch the speed boost you'll get.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 10:39 PM

Get more ram, 384mb is the minimum to consider if you want good performance.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 12:15 AM

if you got to PC you will have to buy all of those programs for the PC.... Correct? If this is the case you will be spending much more money on upgrades then if you were to just by a new Power Book or even a refurb or left over 867 or 667 powerbook from a place like MacMall.com

I am sure you can find a better solution than restorting to PC.

ChadCoronato
ChadCoronato.com

jindrich  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 06:18 AM

many thanks to all for your help and encourage.

i dont want to go to PCs (though that's what i have at work, as 99,9999999999999999% people here in europe). i've been a loyal mac user for more than 12 years but right now is getting harder to support this platform. it's very expensive, specially overseas, and actually their computers are slow (talking 'bout dual gigas too).

anyhow, before i bought my icebook i knew had to buy ram(256 chip). I waited 1 month expecting prices to fall down. 1 year after they cost the same. But the true reason i didnt buy RAM was because my icebook was a deceptive slow machine from the start.
Under 9 with Logic Platinum i got cpu error mgs whith 4 reverbs inserted (this is just cpu related). Running OSX (10.1) was a joke. Now with JAG and Freehand 10, things like toggling between arrow/hand (press space bar) takes almost 1/2 second. this computer serves me nothing, frankly.

i need another one (if i can sell mine). Branded laptop PCs are very agressive priced here (and powerful). Besides, i fear going to an icebook 800 (G3, no altivec, 100mhz bus) could be another waste.
i know i should buy a TI, but �4,360 (or US$ for the matter) it's just too much. If only i could buy it in USA and get it shipped.
What is ADC? i've heard signing to ADC you can buy the gigaTi for US$2,500. How do you do that?

please keep reporting, thanx

PS 1: mikerally, nice photo! did you buy ALL the OSX upgrades?
PS 2: what is this macmall thing, is it trustable? do they sell/ship overseas?
( Last edited by jindrich; Dec 11, 2002 at 06:24 AM. )

ChadC
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 02:41 PM

Not exactly sure if they ship overseas but will try to find out for you.

MacMall is a great place. My father has bought my iMac, his iBook, my iBook, my iPod, his iPod and many other programs from there. No problems as of yet. Check it out you never know what you might find!

Chad Coronato
ChadCoronato.Com

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 11, 2002, 07:58 PM

I bought the Public Beta in France, the day it came out (in French Francs, which no longer exist mind you).

When 10.0.0 was released in March, I preordered it in January when it was announced for pre-ordering - because I was a student, and I had bought the public beta - I got a student discount, and then the price of the public beta discounted on top of that, costing me a grand total of �34.

I paid �14 shipping and handling to get a 10.1.0 upgrade CD, and turned it into a full install CD using instructions posted on the net (and yes it's legit cause I owned 10.0.0).

And I bought 10.2.0 at an educational price (still am a student until 2004!).

So I own all those boxes, yes. The poster in the background is quite old, I made at Uni before the release of 10.0.0 and hung it up on my dorm's door with a count down to the release of the OS.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2002, 07:51 AM

I've also got an iBook 500, bought 512 RAM extra, and it runs 10.2 just fine, not fast but fine, if i'm at home i use my G4.
I wouldn't wanna have the 500 as my main computer, i'm not even sure if i want to have a G3 iBook as main computer (even the 800) because it's simply not a G4 and that's what i need, i'm a graphic design student..
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

todrain
Senior User
Dec 14, 2002, 12:33 PM

I've been thinking about the same upgrade.

With 384 megs of RAM, my 500mhz isn't too bad for OS X, but then I never did get to really use anything faster, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing (I had run System 7 on a Mac SE with 4MB of RAM.... talk about Slooooooooow....)

I'm most interested in thinks like application boot time, screen redraw... is there a big difference in everyday useability.

I do sometimes run Photoshop, and it's just barely useable on this machine. I have it on my P4 1.7 GHZ PC (I know, but I have to have it for work) and it's much, much faster... Would there be a big difference between the 500 and 800mhz iBooks?

I was really hoping to wait until the iBooks have USB 2.0 and Bluetooth built in, but I'm not sure how long that would be, and it isn't too bad to plug in a USB cable to sync my Palm.

Thanks!

-Tom

tobster
Senior User
Dec 14, 2002, 01:21 PM

Although you consider me a fool I'm going to throw my oppinion in here...

I used to have the iBook 500 dvd model running 10.1.4 with 512 for RAM. I found the machine useful but never fast. I regularly used Photoshop and web making progs but rarely progs such as freehand or indesign (although did use it a bit).

Although the computer was usable it was in no way enough for me. What I did find out was that in no way would a G3 cut it for me if using any design programs regularly. The same would apply to you I'd say. If you use only Office and internet apps you should be mooooore than fine with the G3 800. So if you mainly use graphic apps and os x, either you "be a fool" and buy yourself a Titanium or go for the worst option in my oppinion, Windows.

- tobs

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2002, 04:34 PM

Funny. There's a misperception here that the G3 is not capable. I'm typing this on my iBook 800 right now, wirelessly, doing site design, small image edits, etc., and I'm a professional in the graphic arts of many years. I have no problems after "downgrading" from a PowerBook G4. If I need to do some heavy layouts and editing, sure, I jump on the 17" iMac, but I'm finding myself using the iBook more and more. You sure can't take a desktop machine to the cafe, or slip it in your shoulder bag/backpack and take off quickly.

I say this: if your budget constrains you to one machine, put as much money as you can into as much of a machine as you can afford, especially if you're a professional. If you need portability for professional applications, I would suggest a PowerBook. Whatever you get, 128 MB in OS X is definitely not enough. Don't skimp if affects your income--you won't be disappointed.

=$.02

Originally posted by hsl:
I've also got an iBook 500, bought 512 RAM extra, and it runs 10.2 just fine, not fast but fine, if i'm at home i use my G4.
I wouldn't wanna have the 500 as my main computer, i'm not even sure if i want to have a G3 iBook as main computer (even the 800) because it's simply not a G4 and that's what i need, i'm a graphic design student..

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 08:22 AM

many thanks to all for your help and encourage.

i know i should buy a TI, but ?4,360 (or US$ for the matter) it's just too much. If only i could buy it in USA and get it shipped.
What is ADC? i've heard signing to ADC you can buy the gigaTi for US$2,500. How do you do that?
Don't you know somebody that is a student? Maybe they could help you get one at an educational price.

The new 12" Powerbooks are $1699 (US) at the educational price. That's a pretty good deal in my sense. Or you could try eBay.com as well. But if you are gonna use eBay make sure that they have a high user's rating and that they'll ship to UK.

I brought my Powerbook Ti800 out of the classifies in San Francisco for only $1700. The deals are out there, maybe you could upgrade to a slightly used 15" since everyone seems to be selling theirs.

Anyways good luck.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 02:44 PM

The 800MHz with 640MB is easily 3x faster than a 500MHz with 128MB overall due to the RAM, video card, and architectural improvements. 128MB won't even hold the basic OS on OSX, and running Photoshop alone will push you over 256 MB if you open a couple of moderate images.

I use my 600MHz/640MB for java development at work. I run apache, the tomcat java servlet engine, BBEdit, plus the java compiler, Safari, X11, Net Monitor, Terminal, and iChat for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's never slow.

RAM makes such a massive difference in OSX it's not even funny. A 4GHz laptop with 128 MB would be a dog on OSX. 4200rpm hard drives just can't swap fast enough.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

JEB
Jan 15, 2003, 02:10 AM

hallo, mate,

art'st thou really ons't the isl' of mallorca?

had a 500 -- got an 800 -- very simple to switch your (future) 512 ram chip (about 3 mins' to do)

will keeep 800 for a good long time

the only beachball i have is the one my baby plays with in the tub now

ta ta
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

ickettpe
Jan 21, 2003, 02:17 AM

I have had a 700mhz (sometimes 933) PIII desktop machine that I built, with 256 megs ram and XP Pro. I just got my iBook 800, with 384 ram (first 2 days had the stock 128 meg). With 128 megs Jaguar ran at an acceptable speed with basic apps, like a Toast 5, Safari, iTunes, etc. 384 it runs everything very well. The "feel" of my iBook is faster than my P3 machine (I'd say felt about equal when iBook had 128 megs ram). At work my boss's G4 400 runs photoshop (masive files) and FCP beatifully with 1.5 gig ram. I would be willing to guess your 500mhz machine would run great with a ram upgrade, and the 800 is definitely quick in Jaguar.

As for the fan: my fan rarely kicks in, and only when my ibook is on a soft, insulating suface such as bed covers, my lap, etc, combined with power (heat) intensive operations like playing a DVD or high HD use. Usually then it will only kick in for a minute or so, and it is quiet but definitely noticeable if there is no ambient noise.
Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
-Sir Arthur Eddington
----------------------------
800iBook | 384 | 12.1in | Jag

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Don't you know somebody that is a student? Maybe they could help you get one at an educational price.

The new 12" Powerbooks are $1699 (US) at the educational price. That's a pretty good deal in my sense. Or you could try eBay.com as well. But if you are gonna use eBay make sure that they have a high user's rating and that they'll ship to UK.

I brought my Powerbook Ti800 out of the classifies in San Francisco for only $1700. The deals are out there, maybe you could upgrade to a slightly used 15" since everyone seems to be selling theirs.

Anyways good luck.
By the way, I upgraded from a Ti400 w/ 384megs to a Ti800 w/ 512megs.

Overall, OS X is definitely snappier. But if you are not doing anything intense, it doesn't really make a difference.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2003, 03:42 PM

If you are concerned about speed get the Aluminum Powerbook G4 12" With the most amount of RAM. That baby should be able to serve your needs.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

cww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 04:33 PM

I have a 600 MHz iBook with 384 MB RAM on 10.1.5 (Jaguar should be on my doorstep tomorrow, I hope) that I got more than a year ago. I run everything you could imagine on here, from Office to Photoshop to Chimera to iTunes to Dreamweaver, etc., and I have had NO problems whatsoever regarding speed, although I have never tried it with only 128 MB (MacWarehouse free 256 MB dealy). Nor do I want to, reading the replies here.

I hear that Jaguar gives you a bit of a boost. I don't know if it could get any better (at least for my needs).

I also read replies here to "max out" your RAM whenever you can, but the 512's price is a little too much for my wallet right now.

My two pennies
Backpack: Late 2001 iBook 12.1" | 600 MHz | 128 + 256 MB RAM | 15 GB HD | DVD-ROM | Jaguar
Left Pocket: iPod | 5 GB

jindrich  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by JEB:
hallo, mate,

art'st thou really ons't the isl' of mallorca?

whadehelldidhesay?
i'm not that good in english (3rd language) to understand that dunnowhere jargon. if you meant wether i'm from mallorca, yes i am. sunny day in the island today btw.

On topic, thank you all for your replies.
I'm actually using an *old* ti550, but dont know for how long (long story with apple service). Whew! what a difference. night and day. It's not a speed demon (misses cache?) but i feel like i'm using a useful computer again.

regarding the differences between ibooks, i've constated there are BIG noticiable speed differences between the 500 and even the 600, so the ibook800 have to be much better (altivec aside for the tests i've seen it's faster than the ti550 i'm using now, ie: it gets similar number of ptreverbs in logic; more framerates in games..).

anyway i've discovered i need altivec for most things i do (specially music apps), so i'll do whatever to migrate to a ti/al book (with plenty of ram ;-)

thank you all again for your time. you're just great.

webb3201
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 12:59 PM

ri'm running on 128ram. i know i should've upgraded to 640(?360) but didnt want to waste more money on this crap slow box. all my problems are cpu related. i'm not new to macs so i can confirm this by myself.

What?? OSX is a tremendous memory hog. You are trying to run Freehand in OSX with 128mb of ram? That would explain the hard drive growing noisy, you have worn it out with Pageouts.

I would recommend spending a small sum and grabbing at least a 256mb memory stick for the iBook (512mb would be great). This will help with all but Altivec intensive tasks. I have a 500 with 320 that runs fine for all but hard core tasks (for which I would recommend a G4).

If that still does not do the trick, grab the new 800....but please add more ram. I highly recommend at least 512 total. I have run at least 512 on a G4 400, iBook 500, iMac 800 and TI 667, and it makes a tremendous difference in all cases.

Good luck
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 09:37 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Apple should provide more base RAM in their machines? I know that Apple is trying to keep their prices down but RAM is cheap.
Agent69

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2003, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Am I the only one who thinks that Apple should provide more base RAM in their machines? I know that Apple is trying to keep their prices down but RAM is cheap.
No, you aren't the only one. I think Apple should solder 256MB of RAM onto every board. It's the absolute minimum for OS X. Most of all I think they should solder enough base RAM onto those systems that have only one user-accessible DIMM slot like iMacs, iBooks and the PB 12".

Even if Apple now has more reasonable prices to go from the base to 640MB on a 12" PB it still only works out for those who order through the AppleStore. If I go to my local authorized Apple dealer and want 640MB in my 12" PB he'll charge me a huge amount for the 512MB SO-DIMM (more than the AppleStore plus 50$ for the install if I don't want to void my warranty) and even take the 128MB DIMM out with no refund. That's pretty bad service.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2003, 03:04 PM

web3201 he can't have worn his drive out with page outs as he wrote "but i know my problems are not memory related. for that reason i try to run a single app at a time, and i monitor the HD swapping activity trhu the terminal"
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 27, 2003, 09:39 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 4, 2004 at 04:04 AM. )

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 02:17 AM

i went from a ibook 600 to a 700, and it was a quite a speed boost, the radeon makes a big difference. My ibook is as about as fast as my 2ghz t30 laptop at work ($2500!!!)

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 01:20 PM

I have iBook 600Mhz with 640Mb RAM, but the original 8Mb ATI Rage. While I do not work a lot with sound, I do work a lot in Photoshop. Although memory makes a difference, I would not waste my money on 512Mb chip for the 500Mhz model which is generally too slow for a any serious OS X work anyhow.

IMHO iBook 800 would be a better choice:

- Faster Bus Speed the on the 500, makes a world of difference.
- 32Mb Video Card ... if I had that I would be content
- Faster CPU
- if you deck it out to 640Mb RAM you should have a very capable machine

My 600 is adequate for my needs now, but I will be looking for a major upgrade towards the end of the summer. If I had a 32Mb memory card, 1Gb RAM and 1Ghz G3 ... I would have been happy.

P.S.
I just checked and 12" PB is ~�2500 Apple Store / Espa�a, the SuperDrive configuration w/ no extras. So if you can swing �2300+ then you may as well go for 12" PB w/o the SuperDrive.
( Last edited by nsxpower; Jan 28, 2003 at 01:30 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules