Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail copies messages from Inbox to Archive and Important

Mail copies messages from Inbox to Archive and Important
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2022, 03:04 PM

Apple Mail (version 16.0, running on Monterey 12.3.1) has set up mailboxes "Important" and/or "Archive" on various of my mail accounts, and copies incoming mail from the relevant Inbox to one or other of these. I then have to go in and delete stuff I have already deleted, and it's unclear whether deleting a message in one of these places will also delete the corresponding message in the inbox. I never asked for this behavior, or for these extra mailboxes, and I want to know how to get rid of them and the behavior that puts stuff in them. I find that Mail won't let me just "delete" these things. What is going on? I just want to see (a single copy of) my incoming mail in an Inbox, and either delete it, move it to a specialized folder, or just leave it.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 8, 2022, 07:23 PM

I'm assuming this is an IMAP account? You didn't say which service it's with.

Extra folders always seem to be an IMAP problem - Mail is reflecting whatever folders are on the server. You may need to log into their webmail, delete the extra folders (or change pref settings) to make it go away.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2022, 08:30 PM

Yes, I connect via imap, but the mail is processed by a gmail operation at Yale over which I have essentially no control. And it seems that that facility decides many things are "important" despite the fact that they are diverted from my inbox to other folders where they will be deleted once read ... while maintaining their existence as "Important" zombies. Really annoying that Yale stopped providing plain mail services some years ago (I'm only just now falling into the web of their gmail operation). And I understand they are soon likely to replace the gmail stuff with something from Micro$oft. Sigh. I'm actually quite capable of administering basic mail services via sendmail (I have some limited experience hacking sendmail configuration files, a world far from this one), but Yale won't let anything on their net get at the necessary ports to deal with the external world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules