Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Making a custom Photo Book?

Making a custom Photo Book?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 06:34 AM

So I've had several Big Events over the past couple years - vacations, marriage, big moves, etc. etc. - and all my pics are on Aperture. I've had many of them printed in hard copy but I was looking to do classy hardcover photo books for some key high points.

So I decided to use Apple's photo books feature and did up an album in Aperture - all the pictures placed just so, edited to fit the page, etc. etc. Then I find out that it seems that Apple's hardcover photo books aren't printed on the hardcover - they have a sleeve jacket. I ****ing hate sleeve jackets. So that turned me off tremendously. But at the same time, I've looked at some online photo books and realized that I won't have the same editing control as I currently have in Aperture - or at the very least, it will be a shitload of work to try and get it to look sort of similar.

Has anyone used Apple's photo book feature, and/or other of the various online photo book sites? Any preferences? Any criticisms? Any tips, especially for someone who already has an Aperture book "set up"?

Many thanks!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 10:28 AM

If memory serves, the cover image is printed on both the cover itself and the sleeve jacket.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2011, 10:35 AM

My mom has used Shutterfly and the books seem to be of high-quality. Plus there are many custom options too.

andi*pandi
May 13, 2011, 12:32 PM

I have used Shutterfly and gotten a hardcover album with a picture on it, no sleeve. The quality is good, and their system is easy. Up til now they had page templates which limited your image placement, but they have a new service I haven't tried yet that is more flexible.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 01:23 PM

Yeah, but if I used that I'd need to start over with all my pictures, right?

In my current photo album in Aperture all the shots have been placed and modified just so, and then of course edited to fit that page or the placement. I'm shuddering in pain thinking about having to go through that process again - it's not really my thing to be honest.

Anyone else used the Aperture/Apple photo book feature? Does it actually have a cover image printed on the hard cover? That would be perfect.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 01:44 PM

I had a hardcover book made last year through Apple and it did not have anything printed on the cover. I was indeed a sleeve.

It came out quite nice though.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 04:44 PM

I just checked and my hardcover book from Apple has the same image on the cover and the sleeve. It may be an option that you have to set up, but it is possible.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 06:43 PM

Apple - Aperture - Print Products

Images on that page suggest that there is an option at least to print the image directly on the cover.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 09:31 PM

Great stuff guys - that's good news! It would certainly make it a lot easier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules