Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Incorrect clock and occasional beach ball

Incorrect clock and occasional beach ball
Harvey
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 AM

My 2007 intel iMac was due for a Pram battery change (so I thought) when the clock was not keeping correct time. I did that last week while following an ifixit video and now I'm getting the same problem. I occasionally get an annoying beach ball but only in the area of my topmost right-side menus . . .where the clock is.

As an aside (may be related) my weather station software will crash during the evening /early morning hours. On occasion an error message will let me know the weather station is confused by the clock information it is getting. Sorry to sound so cryptic but I am truely at a loss on this one . . . new battery and all.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2013, 02:49 PM

Does the problem manifest itself the same way with other users on the computer? First order of business is to determine if this is user-specific or if it is system-wide.

I assume you have already reset the PRAM?
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2013, 03:44 PM

Its worth checking other users but this sounds like its a problem with the clock being displayed by the OS rather than actually keeping time badly.

An OS reinstall would be an easy nuke and pave fix I suspect, otherwise you might need to start troubleshooting prefs files.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its worth checking other users but this sounds like its a problem with the clock being displayed by the OS rather than actually keeping time badly.

An OS reinstall would be an easy nuke and pave fix I suspect, otherwise you might need to start troubleshooting prefs files.
Can you give me more info on what you refer to as "nuke and pave". I have changed the battery, reset the PRAM.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2013, 06:04 AM

Like I say, its not actually the clock or battery, its basically a software issue where the clock in the menu bar has crashed. Use a clock on your Dashboard to see this is the case for sure.

What OS do you have? On Leopard you might want to delete the file /Library/Preferences/com.Apple.MenuBarClock.plist and reboot.

Also try this:
Mac OS X: Menu Bar Frozen Fix — Technipages

If none of that works, the 'nuke & pave' would be to reinstall your OS from the DVD or Recovery Partition depending which version you have. To really nuke it, you'd erase the drive first but I'd try the straight reinstall first (used to be called an archive & install).
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Like I say, its not actually the clock or battery, its basically a software issue where the clock in the menu bar has crashed. Use a clock on your Dashboard to see this is the case for sure.

What OS do you have? On Leopard you might want to delete the file /Library/Preferences/com.Apple.MenuBarClock.plist and reboot.

Also try this:
Mac OS X: Menu Bar Frozen Fix — Technipages

If none of that works, the 'nuke & pave' would be to reinstall your OS from the DVD or Recovery Partition depending which version you have. To really nuke it, you'd erase the drive first but I'd try the straight reinstall first (used to be called an archive & install).

I am up to date with Mountain Lion. Will give all of your helpful ideas a try. BTW: just noticed you are from the UK . . . spent a week in London last October . . .must get back . . . so much to see and enjoy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules