Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is smaller really better?

Is smaller really better?
apattee
Apr 10, 2006, 11:45 PM

Here's the deal, i'm 15 currently employed at a part-time job in a fast food restauraunt. I'm looking to upgrade my computer to a Apple, (i've been using Windows since I was a youngin', heck on second thought i'm still young) I saw a Mac Mini and it caught my attention. It's small, and cheap. Which is perfect for me as i'm going to be saving money soon for my first car.

You guys seem like experts on the subject as i've been reading around the forums lately. Practically this is what I want.

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

But upgraded RAM to 1 gigabyte.

I'm awaiting your opinions.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 01:47 AM

what do you want to use it for? what software do you plan on running?

apattee  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 01:57 AM

Just basic stuff, maybe install Windows on it aswell. I want it for school, watching DVD's on, and WoW. (I'd upgrade the ram to 1 gigabyte)

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 02:02 AM

should work ok. just don't expect it to be a photoshop/final cut powerhouse .

apattee  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 02:40 AM

The only thing I use PS for is slight graphical editing and creating, I have no clue what Final Cut is.. but i'm going to be ordering my Mac Mini near the end of the month. I'm excited to make the change.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2006, 02:43 AM

itll run photoshop and final cut just fine, albeit a bit slower now but once those apps go universal (like final cut already has) itll get a decent kick in the pants. the only thing to think about is if you have the other pieces for the mini like, keyboard, monitor, mouse...if not figure those costs in as well...you might be better off getting a 17" imac. as for wow....expect it to run crappy due to the integrated gpu. it sucks in games but seems to be ok for viewing hd trailers.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 05:36 AM

WOW would run much better on an iMac. However, It costs quite a bit more. I'd look up the framerates and see if I'm happy with them. In my book 20+ is playable, but 30+ is more what I would be looking for.

apattee  (op)
Apr 11, 2006, 10:26 AM

Considering i'm currently using a 6 year old P4 1.6 ghz IBM running on 468MB of RAM with a Radeon 9200SE that can run WoW with no stuttering I think the Mac Mini will suffice.

simon_ha
Apr 19, 2006, 09:20 AM

if you can make the effort of adding the 1Gb memory (with is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED)
why not making a little ffort and jump for the duo ?

you will be happy to have a dual core soon, and this will make the "life" of your computer longer, I think.

this is a 1.7 x more powerful computer for 1.2x the price.

this is my opinion.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 10:06 AM

I can concur ith Alex here.

But I wouldn't try to upsale you either especially working a part time job in the food industry (worked in the food service industry as my first job... never again). So I know money is tight. Especially for the time you put in!

That being said, I have an Intel iMac and I play WoW. I had a 1.0GHz Powerbook with a crippled graphics card and the difference between the machine is amazing. I imagine that the system you are looking at here would fit nicely between the two in that respects. However, if you can swing it, RAM is a must and the Core Duo would increase the life of your machine for sure!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 02:57 AM

Also don't forget. If your planning on using your own keyboard and mouse, they have to be USB. I think the Mini comes with a keyboard and mouse though anyways doesn't it? My PPC mini did, but I can't remember if I added it to the package or if it was already in there
 Certified AppleCare Technician

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 03:05 AM

nope...byodkm (bring your own display, keyboard, mouse)
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine
Also don't forget. If your planning on using your own keyboard and mouse, they have to be USB. I think the Mini comes with a keyboard and mouse though anyways doesn't it? My PPC mini did, but I can't remember if I added it to the package or if it was already in there
There is an option to add them as a package. I think they are discounted over buying them separate, too.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2006, 09:53 PM

Get the Core Solo, you can upgrade to a Core Duo or a Merom at a later date when those chips come down in price (or in the case of Merom, become available). Good bang for your buck now and later.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules