Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New iLife and iWork not available yet?

New iLife and iWork not available yet?
Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2013, 04:15 PM

Is anyone else not seeing the new iLife and iWork apps on the Mac App Store? Apple said they would be available today.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 05:53 PM

They're out.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2013, 01:08 AM

iMove won't install on my Mid '07 iMac. It says the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB does not meet the system requirements.

This was the only thing I could find. It is on the Apple web page for iMovie 10.0
iMovie for Mac requires OS X Mavericks, 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended), an OpenCL-capable graphics card, and a display with 1280-by-800 resolution or higher
It looks like the HD2600 is not open CL capable. It does 1680x1050
45/47

P
Oct 23, 2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
It looks like the HD2600 is not open CL capable. It does 1680x1050
Correct, the first Radeons that support OpenCL are the 4000 series. This is the same on all OSes, so it seems to be a hardware limitation rather than lack of drivers.

Meanwhile, my 2011 Macbook Air also doesn't support OpenCL. Granted I knew that when I bought it, but it's still pretty shitty when things like this come up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2013, 11:10 AM

iMovie 10.0 installed this morning after all. It moved 9.0.9 to a folder. It was in the process of importing all my projects when I left the house. I will see what happens when I try to create a new project or edit an old one when I get home. I shot some video over the weekend at a niece's birthday party that will do nicely.

BTW, I read that iLife and iWork apps are free for the iPhone as well. I haven't seen that on the App store yet.
45/47

P
Oct 23, 2013, 02:04 PM

Only free if you buy a new device.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Oct 24, 2013, 02:20 AM

I'm installing new versions of the iWork suite on my Mac as I write this. I didn't buy a new Mac (few months old). Downloaded from the Mac app store.

Thorzdad
Oct 24, 2013, 03:57 PM

If you're a Pages user, you might want to browse through this discussion thread on the Apple Community board before you upgrade. Or, make sure you have your current copy of iWork safely saved somewhere. It's looking like the new OSX version of Pages has been seriously degraded in order to make it feature-identical to the iOS version.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2013, 01:03 AM

Installing the new iWork does not touch the old apps. They stay in the iWork 09 folder in /Applications.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Only free if you buy a new device.
This has turned out to be untrue.

iWork is a free update to all previous owners, GarageBand is free, as are iMovie and iPhoto.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2013, 01:50 AM

Honestly if they would have tried to charge for this version of iWork they'd have been lynched. Frankly the current version of Pages is a hideous monstrosity. The only thing good about it is the icon. (Which ironically looks nothing like the shoddy minimalism inside.)

mindwaves
Oct 25, 2013, 01:54 AM

WOW, I used the new Pages and came back disappointed. At first, I liked the interface but found out that I could not do anything. I am not a power user, but it seems vertical rulers disappeared, forming user guidelines disappeared, and the layout option also disappeared! I use TM and reverted back to iWork '09.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2013, 03:33 AM

After getting the same error about my graphic card not being supported on my mid-2007 iMac, the App Store finally let me upgrade. It says it needs to update my library to use with the new version.. If only it had told me it would take the entire night.... and of course there's no way to pause or stop this. Great work Apple, great work... I just wanted to play a bit with it and now I'm stuck there with editing to be done and I can't do it. Come on, a simple warning "this may take up to many hours" would have been useful!

Forum Links
Forum Rules