Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can US bought Powermac be used in Europe?

Can US bought Powermac be used in Europe?
session_80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2005, 07:42 AM

Hello good people!

I was checking out e-bay, and some of the G5's are cheap, but my question is...
Can i use a US bought PowerMac in europe countries? I'm thinking of the different electric systems, if you know what i mean... Is there a switch on the G5 that can change the voltage?
( Last edited by session_80; Jun 12, 2005 at 10:28 AM. )

marc
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2005, 09:25 AM

Most, but not all, Apple computers have had switching power supplies so all you would need is a power cord or adapter which fits the wall outlet. Check the exact model you're thinking of with Apple (or post it here) for more exact information.

HTH

session_80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2005, 09:57 AM

Well, i was thinking of the PowerMac G5 with the dual 2,0GHz processor... I got a switch on my old PowerMac G4 400MHz that says, 115V and 230V. I suppose the 115V is for the US market, cause i use 230V...

proton
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 10:31 AM

Conveniently Apple provides documentation on this sort of thing:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75099

- proton

session_80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by proton
Conveniently Apple provides documentation on this sort of thing:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75099

- proton
Thanx! Didn't know about that page...
But, just to make myself 100% sure... By that chart i saw, it means that all new PowerMac G5's are equipt with an voltage switch that switches automatically to your household voltage.

In plain text, this means... I can use a mac anywhere i want, no matter where i buy it..? Right?

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by session_80

In plain text, this means... I can use a mac anywhere i want, no matter where i buy it..? Right?
No, you are not allowed to use a Mac anywhere you want:

the Apple Software may not be exported or re-exported (a) into (or to a national or resident of) any U.S. embargoed countries (currently Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)

Perhaps that list is old, and Iraq is taken off now, since I know some US military people have Macs in Iraq.

As for the electricity, yep, when I took my USA powerbook to Europe, I just plugged it into the wall (with an adaptor) and it worked fine.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
No, you are not allowed to use a Mac anywhere you want:

the Apple Software may not be exported or re-exported (a) into (or to a national or resident of) any U.S. embargoed countries (currently Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)

Perhaps that list is old, and Iraq is taken off now, since I know some US military people have Macs in Iraq.

As for the electricity, yep, when I took my USA powerbook to Europe, I just plugged it into the wall (with an adaptor) and it worked fine.
Actually, you are allowed to use a mac anywhere you want, you just aren't allowed to sell one to certain people and places.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by anamexis
Actually, you are allowed to use a mac anywhere you want, you just aren't allowed to sell one to certain people and places.
I stand corrected.

So basically, somebody can bring their Powerbook to say Cuba and use it there, but Macs may not be imported into Cuba, and no Cuban national, or anyone else living in Cuba may purchase one.

I wonder if Apple blocks out whole countries from their software update, since it would be illegal afterall to even download any Apple software in those places, I would assume.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 07:30 AM

Le them try and stop you if you take your powermac to North Korea...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 09:27 AM

I wonder if Apple blocks out whole countries from their software update, since it would be illegal afterall to even download any Apple software in those places, I would assume.
It would really surprise me if Apple would block software update in those countries.

The ridiculous idea of boycotting comes from your government, not Apple. And it's not Apple's problem that people do "illegal" things.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
And it's not Apple's problem that people do "illegal" things.
Welcome to the USA...and the DMCA.

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Le them try and stop you if you take your powermac to North Korea...
I would be more worried about them trying to stop you if you try to go to North Korea, period. Good luck with that.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 10:22 PM

PowerMacs are Auto-siwtching, but the iMacs sold n the US and Japan do NOT have auto-switching power supplies and will FRY in Europe! Only the iMacs sold in 240V countries are capable of both 120 and 240V operation.
From MacinTouch's Cris Thomas
About a month ago I purchase a new iMac G5 for one of our corporate users overseas. Despite the large number of reported problems on MacInTouch I have had no failures. (knock on wood.) Prior to purchase I checked the Apple website to verify power requirements. Most Apple systems are dual voltage and according to this web page the 17-inch G5 iMac was as well.

After receiving the system here in our US office I configured it with our standard corporate software package, boxed it up and shipped it to my user overseas. After getting stuck in customs the user finally got the system and plugged it in. This was obviously a big event for the office, it was the first iMac G5 they had received so everyone was excited. Even the CEO, who happened to be there, stopped what he was doing to witness the initial power up. They plugged it in and POP! The power supply blew. Blue smoke filled the office. Needless to say the CEO was not happy.

I learned of this on Saturday morning. I immediately checked the back of a iMac G5 we have here in the US office and I was a little surprised to see that it says 100-120v. I checked the Apple website again and it still said "Line voltage: 100-240V AC". Curious I dug deeper into the knowledge base.

On article 75099 the iMac G5 is listed to be "Auto-Switching EXCEPT models sold in the US and Japan (these models are preset)".

Slightly perturbed I called Apple and actually made it through to a live person with minimal hold time. I explained the situation and politely asked if I could get a replacement power supply under warranty. After being put on hold I was told that yes, due to the misinformation on the website, Apple would cover it under warranty. However, they would only replace the part with the exact same part, the 100-120v one. I explained that this really didn't help me as I needed the auto-switching power supply. I offered to purchase the supply I needed instead of have it be a warranty claim. I was told that I could not purchase the UK supply in the US and that I would need to call Apple UK. I said OK and tried to call the number he gave me. It was a 1-800 type number which obviously didn't work outside of the UK. I checked the Apple UK website and every number was a 1-800 type number. Grrrr.

So I called Apple US again, by this time it is late on Saturday afternoon. When I reached a live person I explained the entire situation again. (The first guy had failed to open a case since I didn't actually make a warranty claim.) After listening to my tale of woe I was put on hold for about an hour while the rep escalated the call. Eventually he came back on line and told me that he had found a UK supply in the US that I could purchase. Yeah!

The supply is now enroute to my user who I hope will be able to follow the directions I sent and be able to replace the supply. With any luck the CEO will still be in that office when that happens.

So just a warning to anyone looking to purchase an iMac G5 for use overseas. The Apple website (still) has misleading information and sourcing a UK part in the US seems to be rather difficult.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger

The ridiculous idea of boycotting comes from your government, not Apple. And it's not Apple's problem that people do "illegal" things.
Boycotting is not ridiculous. Just ask the French, and how much wine they're selling nowadays.

As for Apple, it doesn't matter what they think or if it's their problem. They're bound by US laws, and they must follow these.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:20 AM

Boycotting is not ridiculous. Just ask the French, and how much wine they're selling nowadays.

WTF ?

Could you explain your point ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules