Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Scouts ...

Scouts ...
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 06:43 PM

Scouts failed to stop sexual predator: CBC investigation - British Columbia - CBC News

After reading this story about a sexual predator and how Scouts Canada and Scouts America handled it I would never in a million years ever send a kid to Scouts. Im actually speechless at how incompetent both organizations where, and are today.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 08:17 PM

The Vatican would be proud.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 09:46 PM

It would indeed lol

andi*pandi
Oct 21, 2011, 10:01 PM

What a revolting person, then and now. It's because of cretins like that guy that today there are very strict rules. I am a Scout leader and I had to do safety trainings, have Cori screenings, there has to be two adults in the room at all times, there is an abuse booklet that all boys have to discuss with their parents. No one today would ever let their child go off alone for an impromptu overnight tour of the city.

Despite the horrible actions of the past, I still feel Scouting has value for the kids.

What annoys me about current leadership is the rules against gay leaders. The Girl Scouts seem to have no problem with that, but perhaps because of these abuse scandals the Boy Scouts are worried people can't tell the difference between a predator and normal gay person. There is a real problem with recruiting leaders.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 10:31 PM

Dunno if its region restricted but the full Firth Estate Episode is online the fifth estate

"This video is only available to view online by North American audiences due to rights issues" Ok so Americans should be able to see it.
( Last edited by Athens; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 11:02 PM

Oh so adult to kid isn't okay; but kid to kid is?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
You are a sick puppy if you think rape is ok between kids.
( Last edited by Athens; Oct 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM. )

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2011, 12:17 AM

Care to explain what exactly you meant by that? It's just wrong in so many ways that I'd like to assume you meant something entirely different than the way it reads.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
...I would never in a million years ever send a kid to Scouts. Im actually speechless at how incompetent both organizations where, and are today.
Scouts Canada requires not only a Police Records Check but a Vulnerable Sector check as well to become a volunteer, which seems solid to me. From my brief look around it seems like most if not all of the incidents on record date back to before these checks went into place in the late 90's (brutal, I know). Seems like, on the surface anyway, they're taking this stuff serously so I'd like to think that it's a safe environment. I was in Scouts as a kid and it was a valuable experience; it would be a shame if other kids didn't have the opportunity because of these old issues.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Care to explain what exactly you meant by that? It's just wrong in so many ways that I'd like to assume you meant something entirely different than the way it reads.
Misread it, didn't process the question mark. It sounded like he was supporting kid on kid rape with what he said which begs the question why he would ask if kid on kid rape is ok....

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:23 AM

Scouts Canada requires not only a Police Records Check but a Vulnerable Sector check as well to become a volunteer, which seems solid to me. From my brief look around it seems like most if not all of the incidents on record date back to before these checks went into place in the late 90's (brutal, I know). Seems like, on the surface anyway, they're taking this stuff serously so I'd like to think that it's a safe environment. I was in Scouts as a kid and it was a valuable experience; it would be a shame if other kids didn't have the opportunity because of these old issues.
I wouldn't put that much faith into a police record check. All it means is a person has not be caught yet to have a criminal record. And it appears to still be occurring even after these measures Teen who alleges Scout leader molested him, called "brave" - Winnipeg Free Press

My issue is more the culture of the people who run scouts with its secrecy and track record of trying to protect itself and its image at all costs. If you watch the Fifth Estate on it many of the cases are settled out of court and never involved cops. Yourself included by referring to it as old issues instead of correctly saying these current issues.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:31 AM

Misread it, didn't process the question mark. It sounded like he was supporting kid on kid rape with what he said which begs the question why he would ask if kid on kid rape is ok....
Nice turning of what I said around. You seemed to be okay with kid on kid sexual abuse choking it to "kids will be kids" in another thread; but since it's an adult to kid, you're more concerned. Sexual abuse is sexual abuse, no matter the age of the people involved.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:44 AM

Nice turning of what I said around. You seemed to be okay with kid on kid sexual abuse choking it to "kids will be kids" in another thread; but since it's an adult to kid, you're more concerned. Sexual abuse is sexual abuse, no matter the age of the people involved.
Pathetic, I don't know how you can confuse inappropriate behavior between 7 and 8 year old's (different thread) with rape and sexual assault as the same thing.
( Last edited by Athens; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:03 PM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:59 AM

Whats more appalling is you would put both things into the same category, its demeaning to the boys who suffered clear un-confusable, undeniable sexual assaults vs a school yard play with lots of questions and lots of debate over interpretation which most likely fit the category of inappropriate behavior.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2011, 05:08 AM

My issue is more the culture of the people who run scouts with its secrecy and track record of trying to protect itself and its image at all costs...Yourself included by referring to it as old issues instead of correctly saying these current issues.
You know what? I think I just might close my six year old account here at the 'NN forums pretty soon. The constant personal back-and-forth is just so boring. I freely said that "in my brief look around it seems like..." which was an open invitation to be presented with evidence to the contrary as I was actually looking forward to having a proper discussion on this subject but you decided to stomp on me instead. No wonder nobody around here takes you seriously.

It's too bad, too, because I actually agree with your opinions/politics most of the time but I'm pretty tired of seeing your rants littering what could otherwise be worthwhile threads. You just got added to my ignore list. Cya.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2011, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the PM. I get it now that this had to do with a totally different context.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The National Education Association would be proud.
fixed
Teacher student sex scandals. Updated Daily
( Last edited by Chongo; Oct 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM. )
45/47

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 01:06 PM

You know what? I think I just might close my six year old account here at the 'NN forums pretty soon. The constant personal back-and-forth is just so boring. I freely said that "in my brief look around it seems like..." which was an open invitation to be presented with evidence to the contrary as I was actually looking forward to having a proper discussion on this subject but you decided to stomp on me instead. No wonder nobody around here takes you seriously.

It's too bad, too, because I actually agree with your opinions/politics most of the time but I'm pretty tired of seeing your rants littering what could otherwise be worthwhile threads. You just got added to my ignore list. Cya.
Thats funny that because I don't agree with you, you will block me instead. How does having a proper discussion work in your world if some one can't have a different opinion. And in no way did I stomp on you, not even close.

k2director
Senior User
Oct 22, 2011, 03:54 PM

Scouts failed to stop sexual predator: CBC investigation - British Columbia - CBC News

After reading this story about a sexual predator and how Scouts Canada and Scouts America handled it I would never in a million years ever send a kid to Scouts. Im actually speechless at how incompetent both organizations where, and are today.
I'm just curious: would you send your kid to the public school system in the U.S, or most other countries? Because I think you can find a lot more examples of incompetence there than in the Scouts.

The fact is, the Boy Scouts have provided the vast vast vast majority of its kids with wonderful experiences, skills and values. It's a shame when people take some extremely rare aberration, and use it to damn the whole organization.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2011, 05:20 PM

So your saying teachers take kids to secluded out door places over night and for days at a time totally alone (i know there is a buddy system). Comparing Scouts to schools is like comparing Apples and Oranges. Extremely different environment and opportunities.

The organization damn's itself by the way it hides the truth and tries to protect itself first before any one. The culture needs to change. Keeping secret pervert files and helping avoid police involvement is the problem. Its not even the issue of the sex crimes in of its self. Its the cover ups that is.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2011, 06:01 PM

Chances are it adopted that policy of self-protection precisely because it only takes one such incident to put people off.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules