Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple extends duration of 2011 MacBook Pro GPU repair program

Apple extends duration of 2011 MacBook Pro GPU repair program
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 19, 2016, 02:14 PM

Apple updated its MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program webpage today, and has extended the repair period from three years to four years from its original date of sale. Originally scheduled to end on February 27 for all users, the extension continues to address select MacBook Pro computers that suffer from distorted, or no, video from a GPU failure.

Originally launched last year, the program addresses GPU problems in all 15- and 17-inch 2011 MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011, as well as the original 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display manufactured in Mid 2012 to early 2013. Apple has provided a support page on its website to identify if users possess an affected computer.

After identification, customers affected by the problem can bring in affected MacBook Pro models to Apple authorized service providers or a retail Apple Store. Alternatively, users can request a mailing package to mail the affected unit in for repairs and return through an assortment of package delivery services.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2016, 03:14 PM

The need to extend this to additional iMac models as well. I'm seeing consistent issues with baked GPUs on iMacs for which Apple has no extended repair program.

applesean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2016, 06:43 PM

This should be extended indefinitely. This is such an embarrassment for the company, and they need to stand by their products 100%.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2016, 09:51 PM

If the problem hasn't manifested by now -- five years later -- it isn't going to.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

albeaux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2016, 01:45 AM

I have owned one of the afflicted MacBook Pros since the beginning of 2012. It began to exhibit graphics anomalies in 2014. It has gotten worse over time, but still won't fail the qualifying test that the Apple Store runs on it when I bring it in for a genius bar appointment. (The test is the Internet based Apple Hardware Test suite.) I have now filmed the issues it displays because I am hoping the snaps and video will show them it is failing with some of the symptoms described by other afflicted users. Some of these are screen aberrations, unexpected restarts, uninitiated shutdowns. Fans running at high speed and then slowing down.
I also downloaded and ran the hardware test, but 6 complete run-throughs under the extended test, over a 24 hour period, resulted in 6 "no problems" found.
I am glad to see the extension, as I don't think the hardware test is infallible, or always able to determine that the problem exists. My MBP seems to exhibit graphic issues and restarts after it sits untouched for idle times of greater than half an hour, or after the requisite time has passed and the Apple screen saver has started to run... My two cents.

Forum Links
Forum Rules