Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Linksys, OpenWrt teaming to make FCC-compliant custom router firmware

Linksys, OpenWrt teaming to make FCC-compliant custom router firmware
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 16, 2016, 08:37 AM

New US Federal Communication Commission rules are coming into effect on June 2, imposing limits on broadcast power from Wi-Fi routers. As shipped, commercial routers don't approach these limits, but the limits imposed by the manufacturer can be circumvented by custom firmware. Most manufacturers are imposing measures to block the installation of these software modifications, but networking gear manufacturer Linksys is going against the grain, and will allow OpenWrt to be installed on its gear -- with some provisions.

OpenWrt is an embedded operating system based on the Linux kernel, primarily used on embedded devices to route network traffic. OpenWrt can run on various types of devices, including residential gateways, smartphones, and laptops. It is also possible to run OpenWrt on x86-based computers. There are over 3,500 optional software packages that can be installed on the operating system, allowing for advanced traffic management and filtering to be implemented on hardware like Linksys' WRT-series, features which are not present in the router as shipped.

The new FCC rules curtail power in the 5GHz band, which is also used for the US Federal Aviation Association's doppler weather radar. Routers now use dynamic frequency selection to avoid operating on the same channel as a nearby operating radar station, but OpenWrt can be used to disable channel hopping. The FCC claims that "devices that have been modified to operate in frequency bands in which they are not certified to operate" are the primary sources of interference for the radar.

Linksys has been working with the OpenWrt group, as well as chip manufacturer Marvell on a new revision of the open firmware. The vast majority of residential network hardware will block OpenWrt, as with most of Linksys' other gear -- including all non-WRT branded routers. However, Linksys router product manager Vince La Duca told Ars Technica that "the value of open source is being able to customize your router, to be able to do private browsing through Tor, being able to build an OpenVPN client, being able to strip down the firmware to do super lean, low-latency gaming. It's not about 'I'm going to go get OpenWrt to go and piss off the FCC.' It's about what you can do in expanding the capabilities of what we ship with."

Routers sold after June 2 must have security implemented to prevent the installation. It is not illegal to run OpenWrt after June 2, and the alternative OS can continue to be installed on older gear. Linksys has implemented secure memory in the compliant WRT router, with RF data stored separately from the rest of the router settings.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 1, 2016 at 12:18 AM. )

prl99
Senior User
May 16, 2016, 09:05 AM

Linksys has no choice but to allow OpenWRT to be installed because Linksys was sued awhile back for illegally using Open Source software in their routers. I used to run this software and could crank up my radio power. As for the regulations making it possible for FAA's Doppler radar to work properly, I'm sorry but they aren't the only ones using 5GHz so why can't they change frequencies. 5GHz is used by a ton of consumer electronics. It would be easier for the FAA to get a new frequency than to change and limit all the consumer electronics.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 16, 2016, 09:52 AM

The terms of the deal between the FSF and Linksys has no requirement for open source firmware to be run on more modern routers.

Re: FAA? Why they can't? They can, I'm sure, but they won't. Easier for citizens, sure.

just a poster
Forum Regular
May 16, 2016, 10:27 AM

I was going to buy one of these new linksys routers because the 54g I purchased in the early 2000s lasted longer than any other router I ever owned, but after reading the reviews on amazon I passed. Apparently, these have all kinds of problems because of cheaply made electronics, a noisy fan, commonly drop connections and overheat with custom firmware and without.

Forum Links
Forum Rules