Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Temp child-proof

Temp child-proof
amagab
Mar 23, 2009, 05:00 PM

My toddler son sometimes starts using my iMac and usually I don't mind. He likes to use Photo Booth, Skype, and watch some movies that are saved on the desktop. However, it has happened that he unintentionally has deleted files, renamed files, opened iPhoto and moved events around, etc.

Is there any way I can quickly enable a software or config that prevents the user from having "write" permission? I know I can create a separate account for him but I want to avoid the pain of logging out and such.

I wish there was a way to just hit a certain key combination to temporarily disable write access or something like?

Can anyone think of a solution for my problem?

Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 05:04 PM

A second, restricted user account? You do know about Fast User Switching, right? No logout required.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amagab  (op)
Mar 23, 2009, 05:13 PM

As I said I don't want use a separate account as my son likes to watch movies saved on MY desktop. I guess I can copy it to his account but I wanted to avoid that. I'd prefer if there was a solution, for example, hit the keys LOCK to disable write access and then hit they keys again to enable it. Even better, an icon in the dock for it.

Thanks!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2009, 07:34 PM

The best and safest solution is to create a restricted account.
~Mike

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 08:41 PM

A separate account with read-only access to a shared movies folder seems like a no-brainer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules