Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Who can be the Anti-Trump?

Who can be the Anti-Trump?
andi*pandi
Jan 6, 2018, 06:10 PM

At this point I'm convinced that the only thing that can counter Trump is another superrich crazy person WDGAF. Bill gates isn't quite wacky enough... Richard Branson is wacky, but british...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2018, 12:07 AM

Wheres Tony Stark when you need him?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
At this point I'm convinced that the only thing that can counter Trump is another superrich crazy person WDGAF. Bill gates isn't quite wacky enough... Richard Branson is wacky, but british...
If only John McKafee hadn't been born in the UK.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 8, 2018, 11:48 AM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I was going to create a new thread about Oprah, you beat me to the punch.

I think Oprah + Warren would be a really hard ticket to beat.

- empathy through the roof in stark response to Trump and the fatigue people will be feeling by 2020
- the same sort of business experience and wealth that some people evidently seem to like
- I'm sure Oprah can surround herself by people at least as savvy as Trump's cabinet, and Trump has proven that you don't have to be a policy wonk to win, for better or worse
- approval ratings through the roof going into her run
- I think many people like the fight and pedigree of Warren, but I'm not sure about her charisma. Having Oprah at the head of the ticket will take care of that
- I think by 2020 liberals and many others are going to be salivating for somebody of her personal qualities and liberal policies, but she'll galvanize many women and African Americans sort of like Clinton did, but with more charisma and virtually zero baggage

Does anybody here think she couldn't win?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2018, 04:13 PM

Whoever ends up leading the charge against Trump needs to shame his base back into their holes. People on both sides have been too quick to explain, justify and legitimise Trump voters and their selfish motives. People need to stop saying they felt disenfranchised and start shaming them publicly for what they are which is selfish and racist. At the least they have sold out every one of their own principles for a tax cut. They have sold their fellow citizens, civil rights, freedom and progress for a few extra trips to the movies and a few more buckets of KFC.
The left needs to stop playing fair and use their media monopoly to crush Trump. Stop reporting his stupid tweets and just keep calling him and his voters morons and assholes. Over and over. It will get through to them. Give Fox News the wars on Christmas, Christianity, white folks and conservatives they've been bleating on about for years, show them what it would look like if it were actually true. They are too dumb to learn any other way.

Paco summed it up nicely;
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
On motives/intentions

"Historians have a word for Germans who joined the Nazi party, not because they hated Jews, but because out of a hope for restored patriotism, or a sense of economic anxiety, or a hope to preserve their religious values, or dislike of their opponents, or raw political opportunism, or convenience, or ignorance, or greed.

That word is "Nazi." Nobody cares about their motives anymore."

-Julius Goat

Provocative, but thought provoking.
This should be the new message, on relentless loop. If you are a Trump voter, you don't deserve to matter.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
thank you, oprah, for stepping up:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/poli....html#comments
That's what Harvey said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/actress...r-new-lawsuit/
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2018, 09:44 AM

What does this have to do with Oprah, and why do you care about sexual assault, Chongo? You support Trump, after all.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2018, 10:23 AM

No, I opposed Hillary.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
No, I opposed Hillary.

Yes, and you have been incredibly outspoken in your criticism of Trump in 2017, including his likely history of sexual assault of various forms and a myriad of other issues (take your pick).

By that I mean you absolutely haven't.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2018, 05:36 PM

Lets not forget we can now add "lazy as ****" and "such a patriot/genius that he doesn't even know the words to your national anthem".

Clearly those are the least of his negative traits though arguably his base should think otherwise. They won't of course, because he's bought them all with a tax cut. It must be the easiest job in the world being a Republican politician.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
No, I opposed Hillary.
I opposed Trump.

This in no way impeded me from talking shit about Hillary.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2018, 01:15 AM

Wouldn't the anti-trump be a poor meek humble quiet well educated multi-lingual young gay woman of color?

Interestingly, Obama hit at least three of those during his 2008 run.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2018, 01:21 AM

I'm a little surprised I haven't seen the start of a conservative campaign against Oprah yet. They fired up the propaganda machine pretty fast at the first hint of Hillary's ambitions.

I'd be fine with Oprah if she did something about her dreadful record of promoting moronic pseudoscience, though she is still a vast, vast improvement over Trump and I think she'd likely wipe the floor with him in an election. She'd get the required turnout from liberal voters for sure no?

OreoCookie
Jan 13, 2018, 01:37 AM

The GOP is the home of many pseudoscientific kooks, I don't think this is something that would rile up their base very much. Plus, Hillary was never as popular as Oprah, and I reckon GOP spin doctors know their craft well enough that they need to prepare very carefully. Oprah is very popular and extremely media savvy.

Hillary Clinton was pounded on for decades, from the “scandal” of her wanting to keep her maiden name to her sticking by Bill Clinton's side despite his sexcapades to Benghazigate 1-8.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2018, 02:10 AM

Don't forget, secret lesbian.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2018, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Don't forget, secret lesbian.
To be fair, the GOP didn’t really play that card during the election.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2018, 07:04 AM

I'm not sure swapping Trump for Oprah is a huge step up. She also ticks a lot of the same boxes Trump does.

Inexperienced.
Egotistical
Not science friendly
Publicity hungry
Belief that her "personal journey" to riches makes her suited to understand the common person

Yes, she's a) Not Trump and b) nominally a democrat is this really the best 260 million people can dig up?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Jan 13, 2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I'm not sure swapping Trump for Oprah is a huge step up. She also ticks a lot of the same boxes Trump does.
True. And, I'm not supporting the idea that she should run. But, that said, I think watching Trump's ego running against a black woman who's probably wealthier than he is, and garnered far better tv ratings than he ever did would be...entertaining.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post

Inexperienced.
Egotistical
Not science friendly
Publicity hungry
Belief that her "personal journey" to riches makes her suited to understand the common person

Yes, she's a) Not Trump and b) nominally a democrat is this really the best 260 million people can dig up?
The American people like inexperienced right now. It means non-politician.
She may be egotistical but its a pitiful fraction of Trump's egotism. Massive improvement.
I addressed her scientific track record but I have a suspicion she might listen to real experts far more readily than Trump.
Publicity hungry isn't too different from egotism.
She spends plenty of time around the poor and disadvantaged compared to Trump. Its her bread and butter to know and appeal to those people who are poor enough to stay home watching TV all day. This is orders of magnitude better than Trump and maybe even Obama. Depends how cynical you are about her I guess.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2018, 02:03 PM

Yeah, to me my main struggle with this question is there is a difference between:

1) if anybody in the US could be president who would be the best at the job?
2) who can win the election?

I hate to even think about #2, but it is so tempting because Trump is *that* bad. I guess I'll wait and see how desperate I'm feeling for #2 closer to the election. Maybe Trump will continue to dig his own grave and people will be hungry enough to get him out of there no matter who the nominee is. With a 55% disapproval rate after his first year this doesn't bode well, and I don't see a big comeback looming at this point, just more of the same chaos.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2018, 04:10 PM

Why would anyone want to be President?

Anyone who does is damaged goods on some level.

Forum Links
Forum Rules