Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm won't Sync

Palm won't Sync
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 07:19 AM

I know, this is the MacNN Forums, but it's partially Apple's fault as to why Palm Desktop for Mac OS X still isn't available (other than the public beta).

After waiting long enough for Palm to release a Mac OS X-native (and non-beta) version of Palm Desktop (not to mention third-party conduits), I decided download the Windows version for use with my Sony VAIO.

I'm using a Palm IIIxe with a PalmConnect USB Kit. When I press the button on the cradle, my Palm attempts to synchronize with my computer but the computer is apparently unaware of this. An error message eventually appears on my IIIxe telling me that it was unable to sync.

Just what do I have to do to get my Palm to sync? (And don't suggest removing the USB adaptor or using the Classic Mac Palm Desktop. I fear non-hot swappable ports and syncing via Classic is slow.)

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Feb 19, 2002, 07:01 PM

I am not familiar with Sony Vaio, does it have an IR port that you can sync with?
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2002, 08:17 PM

It has an IR (or some sort of wireless port), but as far as I can tell, it's only for use with the remote control that came with it (the VAIO, not the Palm).

USB, serial, and ethernet (if I buy an ethernet cradle)are the only options available to me. I've already said why I don't want to use the serial port and ethernet seems like overkill for a local connection - not to mention that I'd have to pay for another cradle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules