Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > QUARK 5 IS OUT

QUARK 5 IS OUT
msc1974
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 05:40 AM

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by msc1974:
<STRONG>http://www.quark.com/</STRONG>
If it were Carbon it would belong into the OS X software forum.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 07:12 AM

Too bad this is NOT a carbon app! This thread does not belong in the OS X forums!

....Go my hopes up and everything!....
http://www.quark.com/support/macos.html

"We are firmly committed to developing products native to Mac OS X. In fact, a native version of QuarkXPress is currently under development.

In the mean time, both QuarkXPress 4.1 and 5.0 are fully functional when operating in Mac OS X�s �Classic� environment."
My pants are fancier than yours!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2002, 07:17 AM

It's not carbon? Whew!! I thought for a moment that warm feeling inside was a feeling of joy having Quark for OS X, but I think it is just something I ate.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 09:27 AM

Adobe Indesign 2 is better! out of all 'major' Macintosh applications, Quark has by far pissed me the most off ever since I started using it in college during the mid-90's. (for a start it is buggy, has 1 level undo and is totally un-logical compared to Adobe's and Macromedia apps. I have never liked it and considerring it took longer than any other major app in history to be updated to version 5 - forget about it!)

InDesign is the one home boy!
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 10:28 AM

<STRONG>http://www.quark.com/</STRONG>
heh...It's been out...I got it over a month ago.

Works perfect in classic, and it finally joined 1997 and supports a Platinum interface InDesign is a much more pleasurable experiance. But unfortunately, my job requires the use of Quark XPress........for now

msc1974  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 02:46 PM

I know this forum is for OSX, Quark 5 does work under OSX...in the classic environment.
Sometime people don't know what they are taking about...maybe they should check the information before telling people WRONG info.

maroma
Feb 26, 2002, 03:10 PM

Yes, Quark 5 has been out for a while now. I've been watching Quark for years now waiting for a major upgrade from 4.x. When 5 was released, I hung my head and sighed. Quark has long been one of my most favorite apps. It's incredibly powerful (in regards to the things you can do with it), and I'd been using it for over 6 years and knew it better than any other app.

As stated by EddieDesigns, Quark had (and STILL HAS) some major issues. The release of 5 addressed maybe 5 of those major issues, and just ingored the rest. They put more web authoring features in 5 than anything else. It was a very sad upgrade. I can only hope that 5.5 (or whatever they call the X version) will be up to par with a modern app like InDesign. InDesign may not be an industry standard, but if Quark continues to ignore their customers, then the industry will have no choice.

my2c.

.:m:.

zigmeister
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 08:01 AM

Quark is a very strange company, it keeps on telling their customers to shove it deeper. I've never seen a company not care so much based on this weird "lucky monopoly" they managed to land on. Not even Microsoft is that bad.
Master of Zigs

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2002, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by zigmeister:
<STRONG>Quark is a very strange company, it keeps on telling their customers to shove it deeper. I've never seen a company not care so much based on this weird "lucky monopoly" they managed to land on. Not even Microsoft is that bad.</STRONG>
Yeah I've always thought that - especially as they only have 1 app to develop. They always seem to make a meal of it.

Sine
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 08:56 AM

<STRONG>I know this forum is for OSX, Quark 5 does work under OSX...in the classic environment.
Sometime people don't know what they are taking about...maybe they should check the information before telling people WRONG info.</STRONG>
But you STILL put this in the wrong forum there sugar tits.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 09:19 AM

Quark 5 is NOT OS X native?

HOLY SH!T!!! GEEZ!! SHEEESH, WHAT THE HELL!?? what HAVE they been doing over the last few years? Taking a vacation?
-------------
Yeah Right!?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 04:00 AM

It might have something to do with the fact that the codebase goes back fourteen years.

Even minor updates to QuarkXPress take a long time. Carbonization, to say the least, is not a minor update. It wouldn't even be possible without significant help from Apple - who is helping Quark do just that.

We will never see a Carbonized PageMaker for this very reason.

Cipher13
Feb 28, 2002, 06:34 AM

Did anyone else read that as "QUAKE 5 IS OUT" while skimming over it? Damn caps.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 06:49 AM

the codebase goes back 14 years? who gives a flying tuck! InDesign's codebase goes back 2 or 3 years - didn't stop them porting it for OS X. exactly Quark is ancient and take that literally, the app feels ancient - it's disgusting, the primitive open/save dialog boxes are lack-lustre, the print seperations screen is simple, the lack of multiple undos is pathetic. OK so I am talking about version 4 which has been the only available version up until a month ago. this is 2002 - most 'other' apps are forward thinking, modern, even ahead of their time. why is it Quark is stuck in a time warp huh? no excuses, just because you use it in Industry and are not ready to re-learn a new standard - INDESIGN IS IN! - doesn't alter the truth. face the facts!

I am a professional who is forced to use Quark ONLY when my printers require it. If I can get away with just sending them the Illustrator files then that's so much easier for me.

(did you know that InDesign can import Quark files immaculately and even show high ri-res previews of placed graphics? did you know that some big design houses [I know of] in NY and elsewhere have converted to using InDesign as standard?)

get with the times y'all. there's absolutely NO excuse for Quark's poor performance. not being carbonized is like laughing in your face Flanders!
-------------
Yeah Right!?

Gifted_Child
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by maroma:
<STRONG>Yes, Quark 5 has been out for a while now. I've been watching Quark for years now waiting for a major upgrade from 4.x. When 5 was released, I hung my head and sighed. Quark has long been one of my most favorite apps. It's incredibly powerful (in regards to the things you can do with it), and I'd been using it for over 6 years and knew it better than any other app..</STRONG>
IMHO there has been no good reason yet to upgrade from Quark 3.2 running in Classic to anything newer. Some day Quark may fall of it's high horse...

InDesign is nice, but maybe this is an excellent opening for a new page layout contender in the OS X market???

"I asked my mother if I was a gifted child. She said she certainly wouldn't have paid for me." - Calvin

Forum Links
Forum Rules