Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > /LaunchDaemons

/LaunchDaemons
Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2007, 12:29 PM

After screwing up /System/Library/LaunchDaemons by typing this:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ com.apple.bnbobserver.plist
all daemons were disabled. The system hang. After a hard kill I started the system, but it didn't boot. After some searching I found some info on the stupidity of people who think they know what they're doing but actually don't. That info helped, a bit.
What is did next was boot the PB in single user mode. After a whole list of errors the system got to the command line. I typed:

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
After a positive return I rebooted the system and everything was okay again. The only problem was that all the daemons were running. After installing Lingon and some daemon searching I disabled a bunch of them, resulting in this image:

I think I'll disable cups as well, after some testing at work tonight.
I'm thinking of stopping these as well: memberd, nfsiod, notifyd, blued(which runs even when not active), diskarbitrationd(which I haven't seen before), and pbs(better not). Some I can't find with Lingon though.

With Windows I almost know all the services and their workings, and the services table is the first thing I edit when setting up a system. Since I accidentally discovered this, I have no idea how this will effect my system. Most windows users have no idea that the services table effects the performance of their system. My guess is that launchctl works similar to the services table from windows and that critical components can't be turned off. Is this the case?
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 02:32 PM

dumb question but why would you want to monkey with this and impact OSX's stability?

Sijmen  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2007, 04:20 PM

Screwing it up wasn't good, but I learned from it. My guess is that OSX has been tailored to suit the most users. Things are running that I'll never use. Windows(I relate this to Windows because that's what I've been trained to use, so I know the most about.), out of the box, has somewhere around 50 services running of which more than half I don't need, so I turned these off, resulting in only 18 running processes on boot. Why would I want to keep processes running that I will never use in the first place? Since you said it was a dumb question(as I understand it to mean that the critical parts can't be touched) it can't do much harm turning some things off.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2007, 02:25 AM

OS X manages memory and resource allocation very differently than Windows, these extra processes don't use resources unless you call on them, and the processes cannot, under most circumstances, interfere with anything else. So just let 'em all be!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
out of the box, has somewhere around 50 services running of which more than half I don't need, so I turned these off, resulting in only 18 running processes on boot. Why would I want to keep processes running that I will never use in the first place?
So, this isn't windows and if you don't know what those processes do specifically. You are risking instability and problems down the road. You yourself said you already screwed it up once. This isn't a Microsoft OS that adds a ton of bloat, these services do specific tasks that the OS needs. Just because you may not need/use them now.

Who knows down the road after you install an application something weird starts occurring. It may be months later and you forgotten about turning what you did regarding these processes.

They are there for a reason, maybe you'll never need them, maybe you will but why risk causing problems just because you see what you think is an excessive amount of processes.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 06:27 PM

If you turn off cupsd, you won't be able to print. If you later post a thread saying OS X sucks because it can't print, you deserved to be chucked off a fjord onto the rocks far, far below for wasting our time.

BTW, don't try to enable *anything* in your OS X sharing system preference. You've disabled it above. And you should also re-enable at or everything cron does won't run.

I think what you're doing is a road to trouble. UNIX doesn't work that way.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2007, 01:25 AM

Mad Dutchman!
[[It's that *good* beer!!!]]
Cheers.
-HI-

Sijmen  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
If you turn off cupsd, you won't be able to print. If you later post a thread saying OS X sucks because it can't print, you deserved to be chucked off a fjord onto the rocks far, far below for wasting our time.

BTW, don't try to enable *anything* in your OS X sharing system preference. You've disabled it above. And you should also re-enable at or everything cron does won't run.

I think what you're doing is a road to trouble. UNIX doesn't work that way.
I noticed that after the boot almost all the options in the Sharing pref pane were on Turning them off, turns of the process as well. Turning them on, turns the process back on. So it's just something to turn things off and causes no trouble.
Example: When I enable ftp in the pref pane, ftpd starts running. Turning it off, ftpd shuts down.

Call me insane, but I just like to take risks. That caused this thread in the first place. I don't see this as a problem but as an opportunity to learn. Some people say:"If it's not broken, don't fix it." I go with the tweaker motivation:"If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it anyway." Your outlook on this course of action determents your mental state afterwards. You can ask a question and expect to get a "no", or know that you have a "no" and that a "yes" is a possibility. Mental attitude is all it is.

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Mad Dutchman!
[[It's that *good* beer!!!]]
Cheers.
I'll never know

krove
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 04:40 PM

What other Mac OS X services did you think were unnecessary?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Sijmen  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2007, 06:43 PM

It looks like this now:

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2007, 10:34 PM

Have fun networking without bootpd.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Have fun networking without bootpd.
Not to mention he turned off AEServer (Apple Events Server)

AppleScript and some other OS functions rely on Apple Events working.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2007, 03:16 AM

Windows makes such idiots of healthy men...

Forum Links
Forum Rules