Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > SAS for start up disk on new Mac Pro?

SAS for start up disk on new Mac Pro?
Jupeman
Jan 9, 2008, 10:12 AM

So I spec'd my new Mac Pro with the RAID card and am debating how to set up the system. Should I/can I put one SAS drive in as the boot drive (I assume this is faster than a raptor) and then run 3 SATA disks in RAID 5 in the remaining three bays?

**never mind, I just read that you can't mix SAS and SATA**
Lots of Macs in the house...
Mac owner since 1985

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 01:42 PM

So go with 4x300 GB SAS drives ;-)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
So go with 4x300 GB SAS drives ;-)
I am debating that vs. 4x1 TB SATA with 2 of the drives in a RAID 0 array. The SATA provides 3x the capacity at similar price. At Expo I will try to find out about real world throughput comparisons. I.e., do I really need 250 MB/s or will the eSATA RAID 0 be "good enough"? My gut tells me I need the additional capacity more than I need the marginal throughput increase of SAS. Larger drives mean less full, and full drives are slow...

Most likely I will end up with some third party drives but I will not know until after Expo.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 11, 2008 at 08:35 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 09:32 PM

RAID does nothing for latency and not that much for I/Os.

If you just need bandwidth, go with big SATA drives. If you need low latency and/or lots of I/Os, go for high-speed SAS drives.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2008, 12:26 AM

Not sure how relevant this is to this conversation, but my main computer at home is a winPC box with a 74GB 15K U320 SCSI drive and a 36GB 15K SCSI drive as swap. My data is stored on a pair of 250GB SATA drives.

I've used many computers and I can honestly say that I have not encountered a SATA or IDE based system that felt the same especially when juggling a few disk intensive tasks at the same time.

I think raw disk speed (linear read speeds) are much less important in day to day usage than low seek times. Also not sure why, but my second PC which has a lowly 36GB Quantum Atlas 10K III drive and a P4 3.0Ghz cpu feels like it will murder the Core2 Duo 1.86 system I run at work that has a 74GB Raptor HD. Much more responsive.

So my conclusion although might be wrong but its still mine is that SCSI / SAS intelligence is probably goign to help out when the system is being hammered during heavy multitasking and low seek times way more important than bandwidth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules