Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aperture and Time Machine

Aperture and Time Machine
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 10:25 PM

If I add photos to my Aperture library, at least in the past, if I added a few pics, my next Time Machine backup would be reasonable.

Now, I'm adding photos, and have gotten comfortable enough with it that I want to start adding keywords and maybe even doing some editing to the photos in another app from within Aperture. Now, the very next Time Machine update (to Time Capsule) is the 7GB that my Aperture library is, instead of, say 100MB or so for a few pictures.

I'm wondering if the change is because I've started adding keywords, I've not had any before, and every time I seem to be adding new words. I'm would think that adding new words wouldn't have an effect on the entire library, but I dunno. I'm hooked up to the Capsule via ethernet, so it's not too slow, and it's not taking any extra space, so I'm thinking that it's not really a problem, but I want to be sure. Anyone else having similar issues? I'm considering adding a few vaults just to be sure, I can almost get by with 1 DVD now, so it's not a huge problem, I don't suppose, but it just seems weird. Thanks!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2008, 07:18 AM

I've noticed both issues, at times only the photos get backed up and then other times the entire aperture library gets backup. Personally I don't mind only from the perspective that I'd rather of an entire aperture library backed up because it gives me peace of mind that the aperture library won't get corrupted.

btw, I still backup the aperture library via vaults - cannot be too safe with my pictures.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 01:58 PM

I don't really mind either, it just seems strange, plus if you don't ask, you don't know

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 04:00 PM

MacosNerd, you're hitting a known issue with Time Machine and Aperture:

Time Machine may back up the entire Aperture Library on each run

If the Aperture library is open when TM runs, the next time TM runs with Aperture closed, it will back up the entire database.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 09:13 PM

Oh boy, that's a relief, at least they know about it, and it's not something potentially damaging to my files

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2008, 04:29 PM

I have a folder on my desktop with all my digipix in it.

20gb+

I label it with no. of pix and gb (Toast is great for that, sums up all in a couple of secs)

I do find it annoying though that when I update the label, the whole 20gb+ is uploaded to TM as a matter of course.

I suppose it finds the folder name has changed, and is too dumb to just copy updated folder name and updated contents.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Forum Links
Forum Rules