Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Griffin PowerMate and speakers for PB

Griffin PowerMate and speakers for PB
simon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 05:18 PM

Looking at the Griffin PowerMate. What are the positive/negitives of this device?. Also, can anyone recommend speaker to use with my new powerbook when it arrives.

Cheers

Simon.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2004, 06:52 PM

Just one thing you should know that I didn't read anywhere re. the PowerMate - it doesn't 'click' round - it's a totally smooth rotation, which makes it a bit odd for skipping tracks etc.

Other than that, it looks cool, works great and will go very well with your PowerBook.

orbital~debris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 09:47 AM

The PowerMate is a really cool looking accessory for any Mac (to be honest, I think the silver one is way more Mac-like, and the limited edition black one is better suited for PC users / Darth Vader). The PowerMate looks like it should come with PowerBooks, it's that well suited.

The PowerMate feels really well constructed, and is neither tacky-looking or cheap-feeling. The blue light look great, and draws even more attention to your Mac (especially when set to pulse - a similar effect to sleep lights on Macs).
Whilst the feedback on the rotation is not 'clicky', it reminds me of the restrained/weighted feeling you get when turning the volume dial on some more expensive stereo systems.

You can set the PowerMate up so that it controls pretty much whatever you want it to - it's very customisable. It qualities are quite Apple-like -- it's simplicity belies its power.

The only drawback i can think of regards the drivers: last time i checked, there were no Panther drivers available (the Griffin Tech website says 'coming soon'). This is annoying, since I've not really had a chance to use it to its full potential as i upgraded to Panther shortly after receiving my PowerMate as a gift.

As for speakers... get the 3-piece Harman/Kardon Soundsticks: 2 adjustable satellite sticks each with 4 transducers + one subwoofer (or even better, the Soundsticks 2 which now have sound controls built into one of the satellites and also no longer take up a USB port on your PowerBook. Plus, i've read that the sound circuitry has been improved).
They'll pump out great crisp sound, and the sub adds a decent bass-line. They sound even better with iTunes EQ adjusted to your preference. I used them in halls on campus for 2 of the years i was at uni, and they managed to keep my music audible over the usual background noise / other stereos. Definitely recommended!

Both the PowerMate and Soundsticks are top-class products and really match the design & build quality of Apple's offerings. (I think the Soundsticks were created in conjunction with Apple's design team).
Both will look �ber cool next to a PowerBook and the Soundsticks deliver the goods, especially when cranked up with a deft twist of the PowerMate

Forum Links
Forum Rules