Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard freezes in 10.2.3: anyone else experiencing them?

Hard freezes in 10.2.3: anyone else experiencing them?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 08:25 PM

Since updating to 10.3.2, I've had three hard system lockups. The mouse can still move, but everything else is frozen solid. Force-quitting doesn't work. I have to force-restart.

The only thing in common with the three freezes is that they occurred when internet applications were running or launching. Twice it occurred when Thoth was running, and the third time occurred when launching Mozilla (Thoth was not running).

Could corrupt internet prefs cause a hard freeze or is there some sort of networking bug introduced with 10.3.2 that could cause this?

I've also got an external firewire HD and I've heard that a bad firewire cable can cause problems. However, the freezes have been several days apart.

I've run all the utilities and all my partitions checked out fine: no bad sectors. The RAM is fine.

I don't know how to diagnose this and narrow down the cause because it's not reproducible.
( Last edited by Spliff; Jan 23, 2004 at 05:59 AM. )

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 10, 2004, 08:33 PM

I have had that. On my clamshell ibook. I dont really think I should have installed it onto there. Randomly, when I boot it up, it will tell me I have a BUS error to IDE 0. It's rather odd, when I am successful at booting, I cannot access many of my folders, and it comes up with a lot od error messages. Im not sure whether I did a faulty installation. But the IDE tells me it has something to do with the hard drive? Im not too sure, or maybe the drivers arent supported. It was fine on Jaguar.

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 10:53 PM

I've had Hard freezes (mouse works) since 10.3.1 I think. Seems to be in the same area as a common factor seems to be internet applications, but also VLC and Acqlite.

Stopped using Acqlite (maybe java based prob) and the freezes have gone.... there's a lesson in there somwhere but don't get me started on the file-sharing argument!!!

I've also run H/w checks and everythings just fine and dandy, it also happens with a fresh user. I was thinking of doing an Archive/Inst. but honestly I can't be arsed...
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

bitwiz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 06:24 PM

I've experienced the same problems with a brand new dual 1.8Ghz G5 running 10.3.2. I periodically get a hard freeze that requires powerdown (force quit has no response). I've also run the hardware test suite (multiple times) and it checks out. I'm using the stock apple 512Mb that it came with. I don't have any external peripherals attached except for speakers attached to the audio out.

I've seen this same problem listed in several different forums, and believe that it is a bug with Panther.

Lew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 06:44 PM

I just had a system freeze like the ones described above (although iTunes carried on playing a streaming radio station) while playing with WindowShadeX's minimise in place. I logged into my PC (running XP with CygWin installed) and SSHed into the Mac and killed the Windowserver process and all was fine. The Mac returned to the login screen.

Chito
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 10:38 AM

Add me to the list of users getting hard freezes that require a restart. I too have only had the problem with internet applications....mostly web browsing. My answer? I've down graded my OS to 10.3 fresh out of the box. I may try 10.3.1 if all remains stable with the first version. I haven't applied any security patches or any third party stuff. Had the problem with both my QS 933 and my iBook G3 800 thats connected via airport and a netgear wireless router. Both now running 10.3 and having no problems yet.

Chito
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 12:40 AM

An update. I decided to back everything up to dvd and format my drive and install a fresh copy of panther. Did incremental updates....10.3.0 - 10.3.1 and finally to 10.3.2. I installed nothing on the drive that the syatem was installed on. I added nothing that Apple didn't install for me. As soon as I went to 10.3.2 launched Safari tried to quit and got the eternal spinning beach ball! So....force shut down, reatart with cd, reformat and do the whole thing over again, only this time I stopped at 10.3.1. Everything is fine under 10.3.1.....I'm staying here.
QS 933, 60 gig HD, 40 gig HD, superdrive,
1 gig RAM.

m2uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 03:11 PM

... my experiences are it seems to crash with 2 firewire drives (with or without going through a hub) at certain intervals I cannot fathom. Only common ish factors are writing to them from system drives, using the memory hog Final Cut Pro 4.1 doesn't help and the Finder crashing all the darn time !

The machine is a dual g4 1.25 with 2gb of RAM.

I guess Itunes is often, but not always in the background.

The drives are on ADS Pyro cases with the 3.7 firmware from the Oxford "uploader=1.40" set of firmware to avoid the FW bugs. I notice that this version of Panther is not so good to detect fw devices also without many resets.

Usual things like permissions reset, PMU reset and even archive and install.

Maticode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 11:22 PM

add me to that ****ing LIST, except it happens when I wake after sleeping, and pulling my powercord while sleep. on my powerbook 15 inch alu... glad to see its not just me, and hope apple fixes this bug in panther, i wonder if they know about it?

can someone please let them know? thanks.

i'm running 10.3.2

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 11:55 PM

Dual G5 2ghz here. Since 10.3.2 I have had 1 kernel panic(which I never had since 10.0) and 2 hard freezes and can't force quit(This hard freeze has NEVER happened to me on OS X since 10.3.2)

I think 10.3.2 will be good at about 10.3.5...plenty of bugs left.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Eciton
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 04:58 AM

Yup, add me to the list.

iBook G4 12", 10.3.2

I've had several kernal panics when doing stuff with Bluetooth, and the Bluetooth icon just loves disappearing from the menu bar randomly.

I've had very odd freezes where iTunes will continue to play snippets of music: every ten seconds or so it'll play a couple of seconds, while the rest of the computer is frozen solid, bar the cursor. It used to recover after about twenty minutes, but not any more.

Now my laptop is locking up completely, with the mouse moving for about thirty seconds then locking up too.

I've run the hardware tests, which reported everything a-ok, and also removed my extra RAM, after which the computer crashed pretty quickly. I've also reinstalled (not from a clean drive, mind) Panther and repaired permissions many times.

The only programs that have always been running are Safari, the Finder and iTunes, although other apps are frequently open too. I've got a few system extensions (PowerMate, Kensington MouseWorks, SideTrack and RatingBar), but iirc the crashes happened before I started using these.

I'm running without iTunes now in case the cause of the problem was a memory leak - I usually have iTunes on, and playing, for about ten hours a day, every day, and I guess this could cause problems. However, pretty much everyone uses iTunes, so I doubt such an obvious bug would go unreported.

Anyone got any ideas to fix my b0rk3d system?

PS Sorry to the thread starter for hijacking his 10.2.3 thread

PPS: Oh, and I've had the iBook 'wake from sleep with blank black screen' issue too. Grr.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 06:05 AM

I was getting these more and more at work, and realised it seemed to be an overheat issue on my Powerbook. I run VurtualPC constantly there, so the CPU is cranking out a decent amount of heat. Over time, it would reflect off the desk and make things worse. For now, I have it propped up to give airspace underneeth, and it has been fine ever since.

What tipped me off was that when the freezes happened, it would unfreeze a short time later and process all my keystrokes. But, the longer I let the situation go, the longer the freezes lasted, to the point of one lasting 15 minutes. Thats when I finally powered it down properly and let it cool off.
<This space under renovation>

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 09:57 AM

For me 10.3.2 has been as stable as any other Puma, Jaguar or Panther version. No kernel panics, no freezes. An unexpected application quit now or then is all, but of course I also don't use any haxies or other dubious hacks.

What I don't like is the fact that sometimes I wake my PowerBook form sleep and the screen won't turn on. The Book is running, but you almost don't notice. Some people may think it has crashed, but it's running just fine. Press power and s to send it to sleep and then wake it again and everything is fine again. Weird. Maybe it happens because prior to waking I use it in closed-lid mode...

Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

Zim
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 02:34 PM

I've had several... for me that are not specific to 10.3.2, they started with 10.3.

I do a lot fro the unix command-line in Terminal, and have a recurring, but not overly repeatable lock-up situation where usually the mouse is active, but the clock freezes, cron jobs do not run (I see gaps in system.log for cron jobs that are supposed to run every minute), and a reboot is required. Ping to the machine works, ssh/www access does not.

I have filed this as a bug on Apple's website (become a free ADC member if you are not already so you can file a report).

I got one reply email asking me for more details, but was unfortunately unable to provide them with much (this lockup leaves no core files, no Crash Logs, etc, only gaps in the system.log indicating a pretty deep level crash to me). This did not happen for me under 10.2.

I'd had a break of at least several weeks until yesterday, when it happened again.

G4/800, 10.3.2

Mike

Maticode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Zim:
I've had several... for me that are not specific to 10.3.2, they started with 10.3.

I do a lot fro the unix command-line in Terminal, and have a recurring, but not overly repeatable lock-up situation where usually the mouse is active, but the clock freezes, cron jobs do not run (I see gaps in system.log for cron jobs that are supposed to run every minute), and a reboot is required. Ping to the machine works, ssh/www access does not.

I have filed this as a bug on Apple's website (become a free ADC member if you are not already so you can file a report).

I got one reply email asking me for more details, but was unfortunately unable to provide them with much (this lockup leaves no core files, no Crash Logs, etc, only gaps in the system.log indicating a pretty deep level crash to me). This did not happen for me under 10.2.

I'd had a break of at least several weeks until yesterday, when it happened again.

G4/800, 10.3.2

Mike
did any of you type that command in the terminal that fixes the boot time?

found here: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/96

sudo cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/bootCache.kext/\
Contents/Resources/bootCacheControl /usr/sbin

I did that, and I think thats when the problems started? anyone else do it?
-Matic

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 02:41 PM

I just think they need to fix this all in 10.3. Normal users sure as hell arn't going to do terminal commands to fix things..NOR SHOULD THEY have to.

10.3.3 will hopefully fix this stuff, while it prob will introduce new problems
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Zim
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Maticode:

found here: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/96

sudo cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/bootCache.kext/\
Contents/Resources/bootCacheControl /usr/sbin

No, I have not done that.

My problem started with 10.3 as soon as it came out.

I try to modify the system little or none. AFAIK, I have changed nothing withh 10.3.x, so I don't think that could be the issue.

Cheers,
Mike

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Maticode:

I did that soon after 10.3.2 was released.

Forum Links
Forum Rules