Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.4 is in Software Update

10.3.4 is in Software Update (Page 4)
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That worked perfectly fine until I switched from built-in Airport card/Software Base Station to my newly acquired D-Link DI-624 WLAN router.

Finder now informs me that my server does not support secure log-in.

WTF?
I'm getting that, too. Airport card in Cube, internet sharing from Ethernet to Airport on my Powerbook.

Actually, I got that trying to log in from one tower to the other over ethernet at work on friday.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

HAL9000
Forum Regular
May 29, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
There is a "client version" of OS X and a "server" version...
Thanks, Tyler McAdams.
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That worked perfectly fine until I switched from built-in Airport card/Software Base Station to my newly acquired D-Link DI-624 WLAN router.

Finder now informs me that my server does not support secure log-in.

WTF?
I was told that OS X client does not support AFP SSH tunelling - never did, and that 10.3.4 simply complains (correctly) about this. From my same setup, I can make an AFP connection to a OS X 10.2 Server machinie with SSH enabled with no complaints, so I think he might be right.

The question is, how does one enable SSH support within OS X Client (and Netatalk Unix machines)?

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 11:46 PM

Bah, the update still doesn't fix the problem with Safari using disgusting amounts of memory.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2004, 11:56 PM

Did they fix the random icon bug where the Finder would swap icons of files and apps with others..or just mangle them completely?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 01:43 AM

No, the Finder still randomly corrupts icons. And is generally buggy in just about every other imaginable way.

Eric_Henao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by emark:
THE FINDER BUG IS NOT FIXED. Play the quicktime movie in the preview, not just view the icon/start image ....now, try and resize the columns and you get a jittery mess

NOT FIXED.
Why is fixing this bug important? Does this improve productivity to your work flow? Not being sarcastic here... Just wondering...
Eric Henao - Graphic Designer
Dual 2.5 GHz G5 - 2.5 GB RAM - OS 10.3.7
and TECHNO music!!!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Eric_Henao:
Why is fixing this bug important? Does this improve productivity to your work flow? Not being sarcastic here... Just wondering...
When I play my Quicktime movies while using the Icelandish language, and am deleting a Keychain while emptying the trash, while the genie effect is going on, I get the jitters too. When is Apple going to get their act together?

NOT FIXED

Eric_Henao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
When I play my Quicktime movies while using the Icelandish language, and am deleting a Keychain while emptying the trash, while the genie effect is going on, I get the jitters too. When is Apple going to get their act together?

NOT FIXED

Oh goodness! Thanks for the laugh...

Still grinning...

Eric
Eric Henao - Graphic Designer
Dual 2.5 GHz G5 - 2.5 GB RAM - OS 10.3.7
and TECHNO music!!!

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 05:05 PM

Yes, sometimes I would like to preview a sound file, while looking for another one at the same time in the same window. Resize the column to see more of the name and it freaks out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Yes, sometimes I would like to preview a sound file, while looking for another one at the same time in the same window. Resize the column to see more of the name and it freaks out.
It displays the entire name of the file in the preview column.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 05:32 PM

It displays the entire name of the file in the preview column.
Of a different file obviously...

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 06:08 PM

There are several bugs related to the preview pane, and YES the jitter impacts productivity. Don't believe it? Just try this:

1) Find a folder with a lot of media. Like 100 MP3s. (or MIDIs, or whatever.)
2) In column view, select a file near the top and start playing it in the preview.
3) Now, scroll the list down quite a bit, searching for another file to play.
4) Try to select the file by clicking on the empty white space next to it (right next to the scrollbar you were dragging.)

Result: most of the time, you end up selecting a range of files. Not the file you were aiming for.

See? It's just broken! You can't reliably browse your media to play through it! It's been like this since 10.3.0.

Also note that the scrollbar thumb doesn't update while you are scrolling. Or if you rename the file you're previewing, the preview shifts over and is clipped (try it with a plain text file!) These bugs are just cosmetic, but they are representative of the overall high quality of the 10.3 Finder.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
There are several bugs related to the preview pane, and YES the jitter impacts productivity. Don't believe it? Just try this:

1) Find a folder with a lot of media. Like 100 MP3s. (or MIDIs, or whatever.)
2) In column view, select a file near the top and start playing it in the preview.
3) Now, scroll the list down quite a bit, searching for another file to play.
4) Try to select the file by clicking on the empty white space next to it (right next to the scrollbar you were dragging.)

Result: most of the time, you end up selecting a range of files. Not the file you were aiming for.

See? It's just broken! You can't reliably browse your media to play through it! It's been like this since 10.3.0.

Also note that the scrollbar thumb doesn't update while you are scrolling. Or if you rename the file you're previewing, the preview shifts over and is clipped (try it with a plain text file!) These bugs are just cosmetic, but they are representative of the overall high quality of the 10.3 Finder.
I guess...

I suppose I'm just used to opening all my mp3s in iTunes, flagging them as necessary with ID3 tags, doing my business there, and cleaning up when I'm done.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 06:41 PM

well, while we're on the subject...

is there in fact a way to get the cd/dvd icon back in sys prefs?
a restart did not do it for me

(and, yes, it's minor...but it IS annoying)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 09:00 PM

I suppose I'm just used to opening all my mp3s in iTunes, flagging them as necessary with ID3 tags, doing my business there, and cleaning up when I'm done.
So, what you're saying is that you don't use the Finder. I have the feeling that nobody at Apple uses it either.

poolmouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by emark:
THE FINDER BUG IS NOT FIXED. Play the quicktime movie in the preview, not just view the icon/start image ....now, try and resize the columns and you get a jittery mess

NOT FIXED.
well...they at least fixed the bug where if you have a file's name highlighted and you do a comand-k, the enclosing folder is trashed. whew...this one bit quite a few of my clients. goad to see it finally fixed.

don

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by poolmouse:
well...they at least fixed the bug where if you have a file's name highlighted and you do a comand-k, the enclosing folder is trashed. whew...this one bit quite a few of my clients. goad to see it finally fixed.
Oh, is THAT how it happened?

I saw that more than once, but couldn't trace it.

-s*

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by gkrykewy:
Has anyone had success installing the update on a Pismo.
Yes. Updated my gf's Pismo and it's all the better for it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 02:34 AM

IIRC they updated the graphics drivers with this update, maybe this is causing the strange stuff I get: whenever I wake from sleep my console output adds this:

Code:
Jun 2 08:18:47 kernel: System Wake ... Jun 2 08:18:47 kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex ... Jun 2 08:18:47 ip kernel: AFPSleepWakeHandler: waking up Jun 2 08:19:01 ip DMProxy: theErr=-4205 [line 138, file DMProxy.c] Jun 2 08:19:01 ip DMProxy: theErr=-4205 [line 708, file DMProxy.c] Jun 2 08:19:02 ip DMProxy: theErr=-48 [line 570, file DMProxy.c] Jun 2 08:19:02 ip DMProxy: theErr=-48 [line 614, file DMProxy.c] Jun 2 08:19:02 ip DMProxy: theErr=-48 [line 722, file DMProxy.c] Jun 2 08:19:02 ip DMProxy: theErr=-48 [line 145, file DMProxy.c] Jun 2 08:19:02 ip DMProxy: theErr=-48 [line 708, file DMProxy.c]
So I did a find -name for DMProxy and it turns out it's located in /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DMProxy

I have no idea what it does (it seems to be a binary file) or what causes the error. Does anybody here have an idea?

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 06:00 AM

What do you use instead of AFP?

Oh I just FTP everything around the place using Transmit.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules