Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TypeRacer: Gentlemen, Start Your Keyboards

TypeRacer: Gentlemen, Start Your Keyboards
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 05:13 PM

TypeRacer

Great site, I've become addicted. Right now my all-time registered high is 113 WPM. The high scores during the day are amazing - I imagine they're Dvorak typists. (In case you think the top scorers are cheating, the site does captcha-based speed verification tests when previous personal records are broken.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 05:46 PM

I like the site; but it has obvious flaws

or am I simply missing something?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 05:49 PM

Interesting, never seen that before. Whenever it flags a typo it does so correctly, in my experience.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
TypeRacer

Great site, I've become addicted. Right now my all-time registered high is 113 WPM. The high scores during the day are amazing - I imagine they're Dvorak typists. (In case you think the top scorers are cheating, the site does captcha-based speed verification tests when previous personal records are broken.)
Hmm, but you could easily get around that captcha test by actually sitting in front of the computer while your script 'types' and then doing the captcha yourself.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 05:56 PM

40 wpm.

I think I'll stick to shredding.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Hmm, but you could easily get around that captcha test by actually sitting in front of the computer while your script 'types' and then doing the captcha yourself.
You get two attempts at the captcha to type at the same speed you just typed your last fastest race at. If you fail the score isn't recorded. Of course I know the captcha could be defeated by someone clever enough to design a script to type the races, but I have to believe few people are that pathetic as to cheat at this game.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 06:03 PM

You get two attempts at the captcha to type at the same speed you just typed your last fastest race at. If you fail the score isn't recorded. Of course I know the captcha could be defeated by someone clever enough to design a script to type the races, but I have to believe few people are that pathetic as to cheat at this game.
Ah, that seems like a much better test then.

I don't think that cheating would be pathetic, really. Personally I find it tempting simply because it would be a challenge to my coding abilities. Though since I spend all day coding at work, I'd much rather go home and have dinner and a glass of wine with my wife. If I were single and/or still in school though, there's a good chance that I might spend some time just trying to solve this problem.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2010, 07:31 PM

I find it extremely difficult to type in that thing. It’s very distracting that I have to keep an eye on the text I’m typing while it changes colour, has a car going past above it, and while the text I’m typing out shows up right underneath it.

I’d much prefer it if I could do it from a piece of paper, I’m a much faster typer that way; or if it were just a non-moving block of text and my own text showed up far underneath it or something.

Edit: Hah, would you look at that—how backwards (I got 102 wpm in the race, and 111 wpm in the captcha test—just goes to show that typing is much easier without distractions):

( Last edited by Oisín; Apr 5, 2010 at 07:40 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 5, 2010, 08:12 PM

My best was 98, my average was usually in the mid-80s after about five tries.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 08:12 PM

It kept on saying that I spelled "happens" incorrectly, even though I got it right...

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I find it extremely difficult to type in that thing. It’s very distracting that I have to keep an eye on the text I’m typing while it changes colour, has a car going past above it, and while the text I’m typing out shows up right underneath it.

I’d much prefer it if I could do it from a piece of paper, I’m a much faster typer that way; or if it were just a non-moving block of text and my own text showed up far underneath it or something.

Edit: Hah, would you look at that—how backwards (I got 102 wpm in the race, and 111 wpm in the captcha test—just goes to show that typing is much easier without distractions):
That's funny that you prefer typing from a piece of paper. I absolutely hate those tests because I hate having to take my eye off the screen and focus on where I am on the page. You did pretty well for not liking the entertainment elements/distractions of the site. The entertainment value of racing others online makes it fun for me.

I think it definitely improving my typing dexterity. When I started doing it I averaged in the 80s and rarely got above the 90s. Now I'm averaging 108 in my last 10 races and recently got a new high of 116, although I cheat a bit by dropping out if I don't like the exam text or if I get bogged down in the middle.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 5, 2010 at 08:23 PM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2010, 08:29 PM

That's funny that you prefer typing from a piece of paper. I absolutely hate those tests because I hate having to take my eye off the screen and focus on where I am on the page.
Interesting. I find even having to keep up with what I’m typing on the screen (as in regularly, like in this text field—not just at the test site there) to be a distraction. If I’m just looking at a piece of paper with a block of text on it, my eyes sort of tell my fingers what to type next and I can type very accurately, and quite fast. When I have to look at what I’m typing, it slows me down and distracts me, meaning more typos and slower speed.

You did pretty well for not liking the entertainment elements/distractions of the site. The entertainment value of racing others online makes it fun for me.
Ah, I didn’t race any others, just went to the practice thingamajig.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I like the site; but it has obvious flaws

or am I simply missing something?
You have Smart Quotes turned on in Snow Leopard’s Text Substitutions for Safari text areas, don’t you? The characters you typed are curly open quote and real apostrophe, while the ones in the sample are straight double and single quotes. Since they’re not exactly the same character, it’s calling it a typo.

Given how many SL installations are out there by now, they ought to be looking out for that.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 11:53 PM

Good stuff and mad addicting!
Have a question: anyone know what happens to stats of racers that don't complete the race? I've noticed some racers not completing the race and it seems intentional cause at other times the same racers complete it as long as they know they're going to win.
( Last edited by Macfreak7; Apr 6, 2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: added question:)

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 03:07 AM

If you leave the race early by clicking to return to the main menu, the race isn't recorded at all. That's what I do now if I'm having a bad race.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 08:31 AM

just wasted my entire work day because of this. you suck big mac!@

andi*pandi
Apr 6, 2010, 09:18 AM

78. Not bad considering my hands aren't working properly these days.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
just wasted my entire work day because of this. you suck big mac!@
Haha, I guess technically my brother's to blame for showing the site to me.

I broke 120 this morning.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2010, 10:16 AM

How many of you are professional coders? I'm finding I suck at this.... I'm only getting in the 60's and 70's. I spend all day every day writing code so I'm not really practiced at typing complete sentences... it's more short bursts of text.

I think Oisín has a point. Staring at what I'm typing on the screen, along with the word being highlighted is a distraction. I do type faster if I'm just looking down at a sheet of paper.

Forum Links
Forum Rules