Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I can't get the cover off of the bottom of my PB to install RAM!!!

I can't get the cover off of the bottom of my PB to install RAM!!!
shreddog
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 10:20 PM

Do I need to go to the gym or something? Are the screws usually on this tight?! It doesn't help that the screwdrivers for these things are so small and you have to turn them with your fingers.

If I take to the genius bar at my local Apple Store will they be able to unscrew the lid? Will they charge me?
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

giggs11
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 10:39 PM

What size screwdriver are you using? I believe #00 worked for me. Yeah, the screws are on tight, but you should be able to do it without too much trouble.

shreddog  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 10:43 PM

I Don't know what size it is. It is just some screwdrivers I have that seemed to fit ok, not perfectly, but close enough (or so I thought). I'll go buy a #00 tomorrow to see if it helps.
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by shreddog:
seemed to fit ok, not perfectly, but close enough
sounds just about right

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 11:18 PM

Yes, use the right tool and they will come right off.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 11:21 PM

Remember those tech-decks? Those mini skateboards all the junior high kids used to play with a few years ago? I used the screwdriver that came with them. IMO it's the best screwdriver for the PB screws.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 01:13 AM

If its been running before hand, let it cool for a while and see if having a "cold" powerbook makes it easier to get the cover off.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 07:35 PM

Make sure you are "unscrewing" in the correct direction.
The only reason I bring this up is because that is what I was doing. When I thought the screws were in so tight that I could not get them out, I took the powerbook to the local dealer and the screws came right out. (of course, they unscrewing the correct direction.
I felt really stupid.

shreddog  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 09:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I was able to install me new RAM. It's amazing what the right tool will do!

Also, the PB feels so much snappier with the extra 512MB. I can only imagine what an extra 1GB is like! Time to save more money.

iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

onryou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 07:55 AM

Do I need to go to the gym or something? Are the screws usually on this tight?! It doesn't help that the screwdrivers for these things are so small and you have to turn them with your fingers.

If I take to the genius bar at my local Apple Store will they be able to unscrew the lid? Will they charge me?
they probably will charge you, all computer stores are out for that $.

onryou
powerbook 12" - 1.33 ghz - 768 mem

jbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 12:34 PM

I see you've got the cover off so the point is moot but I wanted to respond to the comment about being charged by the Apple store. I ran into the same issue with my powerbook (and I had the correct tools), I couldn't get all of the screws "cracked" to get the cover off. I brought it to my local Apple store where they happily loosened the recalcitrant screw with no charge. I did the rest of the install.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 02:01 PM

When I added a 1gb module to my new 15" Powerbook last night, I noticed that the screws (that did take a little force to remove) looked like they had some Loc-tite on them - the threads were coated blue. That's probably why it's taking some force to remove them.

Brownjer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 03:05 PM

It's not that hard to forget which way to turn the screws. I've had the same thing happen to me. Just remember: Lefty->loosy, righty->tighty
"In reality, it's an atom disguising itself as a warthog."

cal6n
Feb 18, 2005, 08:26 PM

... seemed to fit ok, not perfectly, but close enough...
Problem solved now, but I wanted to point out (to anyone wondering) that close enough is NOT good enough. You need an exact fit with screws this small or you WILL chew the heads up.
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

thickdrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 10:41 AM

Ok, so i know this sounds weird but just hear me out guys...
First, make sure u have the EXACT correct size screwdriver as stated in your manual
Second, (this is where it gets strange) put a rubber glove on your 'screwing' hand (either a washing up glove or a surgical one will do) and start screwing ur PB!!! The extra friction on the screwdriver means the screw will turn before your hand slips. Works a treat...

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 09:17 PM

<<they probably will charge you, all computer stores are out for that $.

Obviosly someone who has never been to an APPLE Store...The Genius bar offers FREE technical support, as long as you have the patience to wait, as the Bar is a very busy place. The only time you would be charged is if your computer was out of waranty and needed serious repair service.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 8, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Phanguye
sounds just about right
"Close enough" is not right! The proper screwdrivers fit perfectly. They aren't called "precision screwdrivers" for nothing.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules