Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need help with my powerbook!

Need help with my powerbook!
rowan_sewell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 06:12 PM

Hello!
I have had my powerbook (1.33 Ghz, G4, OS 10.3.9) for nearly two years and have never had any problems until the last couple of months, and since then they seem to be coming thick and fast!
Problem 1 - I noticed that the battery life was gradually decreasing. I figured this was normal, seeing as i have had it for 2 years and i do use it alot. The thing is though, i started getting the low battery notice at 40% battery and then not at all and the computer would just die. And that with 50% battery. Now it dies with about 85% and cant last for 2 mins without the power lead. I usually have to reset the clock when i restart after it dies. Is this the battery coming to the end of its life or is there another gremlin at work?
Problem 2 - This is a small but annoying one - Sometimes when i close safari it restarts itself and then i close it again and it restarts itself again! This can happen 3 or 4 times and then suddenly it will stay closed. Any ideas?
Problem 3 - This is a hardware issue i think - My CD drive has just decided it doesnt want to read anything, CD-Rs, music CDs, DVDs, data cds, nothing seems to work. It starts to whizz as usual and then just seems to give up, it tries again and then just ejects it. Do you think it's just a case of the drive needing a clean?
I would really appreciate any suggestions on any of these problems! The thing is, i'm sooo in love with my little powerbook and i getting more and more worried that its going to pass away.... Please help!

Rowan

bearcatrp
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 11:08 PM

I have the same one. Did you check to see if your battery was covered by the replacement program? Mine was. Mine was dying too and was about to buy another until the recall came out. Running good with new battery. Once you get your battery taken care of, format the hd and reinstall your programs. You probably have alot of junk building up on it. Unless you need the internal cd drive, buy an external one. Since mine was a cd only burner, I went to other world computing and got a external DVD burner. Think it was around 125 bucks. You can replace the internal (i never tried) but heard its not easy. When is the last time you ran the system maintanence? Get mac janitor (free). I run it once a week. When is the last time you repaired permissions? Do this once a month or so. You have to do this with the install disk though. Lets us know if you get it going right again.
Randy

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 12:01 AM

1- Your batt is at that age where is will start losing its charge faster and faster. You can try resetting the PMU (power management unit).

2- Try resetting Safari and rebuilding your permissions.

3- Try a CD lens cleaning disk and rebuilding your permissions.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules