Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Is mac gaming dead?

Is mac gaming dead?
HamSandwich
Feb 13, 2017, 05:19 AM

Hello,

so, when I was a bit younger, like five years ago, there were many games for the Mac. Not so many in comparison to the PC, but still many. Shooters, strategy, RPG, simulators, racing games, space games etc. Be my guest.

What happened? Tim Cook no longer interested in games? InsideMacGames closed, and now, nearly all mac gaming websites in the world are down. I think, Ambrosia Software hasn't released a game in a while. How about Aspyr and Feral? Nothing new? Civilization 6 game out, I saw, but other than that... Is this dead?

There are still many games coming out for Windows.
Greetings,
PeterParker

P
Feb 13, 2017, 05:45 AM

I think it is mostly the way it always was. Mac gaming isn't dead, but if you are talking AAA games, then the slow updates for the Mac line - and the PC market moving to ever more expensive graphics cards - means that the market is smaller. TBH, a lot of those games are console first now, with PC as a secondary consideration and the Mac after that. Mostly the game series that always come out on the Mac still do. The big bestselling games that came out on PC the last few years and don't have a Mac version are... Fallout 4, more or less. The new Deus Ex isn't out yet, but coming. What game do you want that isn't out.

If you look in other directions, I would argue that the Mac gaming market is healthier than ever. There are lots of strategy games, just about all indie games have a Mac version now, any Kickstarter game gets a Mac version, and you can get older stuff from GoG. Aspyr and Feral appear to do pretty much as they always have, porting various big sellers. I know that Ambrosia scaled back its operations a lot a few years back, and seem to mostly make utilities now, but that is arguably just part of the entire market going multiplat.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2017, 12:00 PM

steam.

Forum Links
Forum Rules