Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What will the new Mac Pros Standard confirguration be?

What will the new Mac Pros Standard confirguration be?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 10:11 PM

When the Mac Pros where introduced on August 7 2006, Apple introduced one "Standard killer configuration." The configuration is:
  • 2 x 2.66GHZ Dual-core Xeon
  • 1 GB 667MHz FB-DIMM
  • 250 GB Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT, 256MB
  • 16x SuperDrive
Now with the Mac Pros due for an update, and the leak on Apple's UK store site stating "Now quad-core or 8-core processing power. Configure yours toda," what will the next standard killer configuration be?

But before we do realistic speculation, what speeds do the new Xeon Quad-core CPU's come in? What are the new NVIDIA and ATI cards (I know there is the ATI XT2800 with 1GB VRAM). Based on all the information what real world specs (and price) do you think the new standard killer configuration will have?
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 11:54 PM

I'm pretty sure that the new quad cores top out at 2.66Ghz.

They'll stay at 1 GB RAM. They may update the video card.

They'll give more options. Personally, I don't think that the standard config will change much. They may just lower prices and offer more options.
Linkinus is king.

Leonis
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 12:47 AM

I am thinking the standard configuration will have the Dual dual-core 3GHz Xeon.

Than you have option to dump down to dual-dual core 2.66GHz or "bump up" to dual quad-core 2.66GHz
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

soon2bmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 01:13 AM

I am really thinking that they will bump the memory up to 2GB and hopefully the video cards will get a refresh.

As for the processors I dont think that the standard config will have the quad cores. That will be the upgrade.

Im hoping that they will do something with the CD drives, they need to pick blu-ray or HD.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 01:30 AM

Looking on Wihhipedia, the Quad-core Xeon tops out at 3GHZ. I want to see a base video card with 512MB RAM (and faster then the X1900). My budget (combo Birthday gift (early) system for my moms place (well G4 for her place Mac Pro for my place) is $2,800+Tax+500GB HD I will buy.

What I want to see as the standard config:
  • Quad-core 3.0GHZ Xeon
  • 2 GB 800MHz FB-DIMM
  • 500 GB Hard Drive
  • ATI/NVIDA 512MB video card
  • Bluetooth 2.0
  • Aiport 802.11n
  • IRDA with Apple Remote
  • 16x SuperDrive
    $2,499
I would then upgrade (if under $300USD) to the ATI X2800 1GB. Are these realistic expectations (well except the upgrade video card pricing)?
--Stephen King

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 03:15 AM

I'm expecting a standard $2499 config like this:
• dual 3.0 GHz Xeon (Woodcrest)
• 1 GB RAM (I'd like to see 2 GB RAM standard, but I'd be rather surprised to see Apple do that)
• 250 GB HD
• 16x SD
• ATI X1900 XT 512 MB

I'd expect dual 2.66 GHz Woodcrest (~$2000) and dual 2.66 GHz Clovertown (here's your eight core box, obviously >$3k) as the "downgraded" and upgraded configs. I'd like to see Apple keep a dual 2.0 GHz Woodcrest model around for ~$1700 as a kind of Yikes model for those that need a 'simple' expandable desktop Mac. But that's probably also not going to happen.

applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 03:21 AM

I wuld expect something like the old powermac (with quad) configuration. Two dual configs and one "supercomputer" config with quads.

This is also supported with apple's slip up in the cs3 ad:

Note how it says Dual OR Quad.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Looking on Wihhipedia, the Quad-core Xeon tops out at 3GHZ.
That's a mistake on their web page. The fastest quad-core Xeon (Clovertown) you can currently buy is the
Xeon X5355 - 2.66 / 8 MB / 1333 MHz - TDP 120 W - $1,172

The rumored 3 GHz Clovertown (designated X5365) has never been released by Intel. If you check Wikipedia's source you'll see there is no mention of the alleged 3.0 GHz X5365 Clovertown Xeon.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by applgeek View Post
This is also supported with apple's slip up in the cs3 ad:
Note how it says Dual OR Quad.
Just FYI, that's actually not the slip up. That's the current situation: there are dual-core and quad-core Intel Macs.

The real slip up was that in the original ad it read: "... dual-core or quad-core Intel processors...". Of course people saw that as a pre-announcement of Clovertown MPs.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm expecting a standard $2499 config like this:
• dual 3.0 GHz Xeon (Woodcrest)
• 1 GB RAM (I'd like to see 2 GB RAM standard, but I'd be rather surprised to see Apple do that)
• 250 GB HD
• 16x SD
• ATI X1900 XT 512 MB

I'd expect dual 2.66 GHz Woodcrest (~$2000) and dual 2.66 GHz Clovertown (here's your eight core box, obviously >$3k) as the "downgraded" and upgraded configs. I'd like to see Apple keep a dual 2.0 GHz Woodcrest model around for ~$1700 as a kind of Yikes model for those that need a 'simple' expandable desktop Mac. But that's probably also not going to happen.
The Dual 3.0GHz means 2 x Dual-core for Quad right? would like to see the X1950 XT 512MB as the base. Would be very disappointed to see 1GB in 2007 as the min RAM in a Pro system. What are the chances of Bluetooth/Airport as standard as well as Irda port? Front Row would be so nice (with dual display support (AKA put it on my TV since it's my second display). Starting to get excited about my new Mac. Aperture should be very happy.
--Stephen King

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
The Dual 3.0GHz means 2 x Dual-core for Quad right?
Yeah, dual Woodcrests so we're looking at a quad-core config.

Would be very disappointed to see 1GB in 2007 as the min RAM in a Pro system.
Apple has been rather conservative with RAM in the past. It's an easy way for them to increase their margins. I agree though that a professional workstation Mac should come with 2 GB as the bare minimum.

What are the chances of Bluetooth/Airport as standard
Not very likely. The MP is a professional workstation. That's gigabit country.

as well as Irda port? Front Row would be so nice (with dual display support (AKA put it on my TV since it's my second display).
Again although I wouldn't mind, I doubt Apple will put it in there. The MP is the kind of system sitting in an office where people do serious desktop work. It's neither a living room Mac nor a presentation machine.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 04:56 AM

# Quad-core 3.0GHZ Xeon
# 2 GB 800MHz FB-DIMM
# 500 GB Hard Drive
# ATI/NVIDA 512MB video card
# Bluetooth 2.0
# Aiport 802.11n
# IRDA with Apple Remote
# 16x SuperDrive
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. They're not gonna do 2 GB RAM, and they're not gonna do a 500 GB HDD. No bluetooth/Airport standard either.

Well, one can dream!
Linkinus is king.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 05:19 AM

Reasons for 500GB HD are falling HD prices. 500GB drives are the price of 250GB drives from last summer. Would be sweet to see Irda and iSight built into the next displays (though I already have an iSight). bluetooth/airport built in isn't critical but would be nice (bluetooth for connecting to your cellphone for example). If Apple only offers 1GB I ain't buying more RAM from them.

What are the chances for 512MB base video card, since the ATI X2800/X600 will come with 1GB (and be a pricey upgrade)?
--Stephen King

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 05:26 AM

They might give you a 512MB 7600GT.

But the RAM on the video card has very little effect on performance. It's all about the chip.
Linkinus is king.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. They're not gonna do 2 GB RAM, and they're not gonna do a 500 GB HDD. No bluetooth/Airport standard either.

Well, one can dream!
I think the 2GB is realistic. After all, Apple upgraded their pro laptop line to come with 2gb standard. It would make sense for Apple to extend this to their entire pro line- all Pro computers come with a base of 2GB. In addition, FB RAM prices have been falling lately, and when the quad core xeons become more widely available, you are going to see the dual core prices fall.

My guess for the base config-

Dual 3.0Ghz Woodcrest
2 gigs RAM
300 GB HD
Something like a 128meg NV 7600 card (Apple has taken some flack for offering such a crappy video card as the base, and with the 8xxx series NV cards becoming more common, the 7600 seems reasonable).

You can then get the 2.66 procesor as the low end, and, my guess is the 3.0ghz quad cores available in June as the high end. I don't think Apple would want to offer a processor speed of less than the mid range, even if you get 4 of them, as the high end.

Hopefully only 13 more days of waiting before we know!

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 01:07 PM

3GHZ quad core CPUs aren't due to be out before July. Apple may simply do a paper launch, or as in the past, they may have their high-end system have fewer MHZ than their mid-level one. Remember the 867MHZ Quicksilver and its dual 800MHZ cousin (released at the same time)?

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
3GHZ quad core CPUs aren't due to be out before July. Apple may simply do a paper launch, or as in the past, they may have their high-end system have fewer MHZ than their mid-level one. Remember the 867MHZ Quicksilver and its dual 800MHZ cousin (released at the same time)?
oops.. I thought I had read June (maybe I read limited qtys in June, widely available July? Or maybe I am just remembering wrong).

That is true about the Quicksilver. Well, I guess we'll see what they do in April (hopefully )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 03:02 PM

Looks like we were all wrong. APple announced an 8 Core custom option with NO other changes.

Bummer.
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules