Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes can't import CD, don't have permission to access Music folder

iTunes can't import CD, don't have permission to access Music folder
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 03:55 AM

My mom has tried importing a CD into her MacBook. All the latest versions of iTunes, OS X, etc. Anyways I tried it and got the error "Can't import don't have permission to access iTunes folder." I've never seen this before. I fixed permissions (disk utility vs. DVD since newer version of OS on HD of course), I also did a chown -R on her home folder, but still no go. When she got the computer, I never did the format install as sometimes with this mass disk imaging of thousands of computers, the computers will act strangely sometimes so a clean install of a brand new Mac, will solve these future problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I fix it? It's a clean Library folder (when I moved her folders from her MDD G4), but the same iTunes folder.

Thanks
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Nivag
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 09:57 AM

You'll need to change the permissions on the folder to match the new machine/user folder.

Personally i would use this BatChmod 1.37; VersionTracker to change the permissions on a folder.

you can do it other ways, but i'm lazy

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 11:09 AM

Select the folder and go to File > Get Info and see what is listed for the permissions of the folder.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 02:00 PM

I did change the permissions (though they where Read/Write) I also did the chown owner for the entire user home folder. I've never seen this before. It's all read/write it seems (not going to go through every single folder in iTunes folder).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules