Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD G4 1.25GHZ 2 1/2 years until new system, how to cope and PPC apps?

MDD G4 1.25GHZ 2 1/2 years until new system, how to cope and PPC apps?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2007, 03:00 AM

I won't be able to upgrade my MDD G4 DP1.25Ghz June 2003 (1.79GB RAM R9800Pro) until Fall 2009. With this in mind, how bad will things be getting for PPC apps and other things? I have 2 1/2 years left on this G4 and I don't want it to be a living hell. Also will more apps with major revisions go Intel only (Office, Photoshop, Aperture, Transmit, etc)?

Rumor is Leopard will require a 800mhz G4 so I assume at best 1.25GHZ G4 or worse…G5 for 10.6.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 4, 2007, 12:16 PM

You're asking questions that nobody could possibly know the answers to right now.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

scumbag2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 12:08 PM

Are you running the 6200 in a MDD, Lateralus? I've tried to flash with the ROM from themacelite. I heard it doesn't work in MDD. How did you get it to run?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2007, 06:31 PM

We should see Universal Binaries for a number of years more. They won't really begin to dry up until Apple drops universal support from the OS.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 08:37 PM

Will software developers follow this as a 'guideline' for the cut off period?

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2007, 06:22 AM

If that list is used as a guideline it suggests to me that you have 5 years of service left after the product is no longer sold. That sounds quite good actually...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

OreoCookie
Sep 12, 2007, 09:50 AM

Nobody knows the answer. However, even if you keep your MDD for another 2.5 years, you can still use it running 10.5. I don't see why it is mandatory to upgrade to 10.6. If you wish to use certain features, then it's usually necessary to upgrade the computer as well. So if you want to use [insert killer feature here], then it's likely you can't do that with your current rig anyway.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules