Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > EMERGENCY SHUT-DOWN Mac Pro over heated!

EMERGENCY SHUT-DOWN Mac Pro over heated!
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 02:38 AM

I was playing Double Agent (3GB RAM, Radeon 1900XT) on my Mac Pro and twice this evening the screen went blank with a cable disconnected message then my Mac Pro re-booted. I had to wait a few minute to successfully reboot. My gut says it's the video card. I only got the Mac Pro April 2007 so still under warranty (and that AppleCare is looking good now).

Why is this bloody video card over-heating and blasting it's fans so loud (even right now (well louder then silent) without doing anything. When I got my Mac Pro, I couldn't hear it running at all, but now I can hear this DAMN 1900XT.

What causes this monster to get so loud over time, and now over-head under real loads?
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2008, 06:29 PM

Dust?

The X1900s are pretty well known for their overheating.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2008, 07:16 PM

Do you know if it's an early x1900 or a later revision? I know Apple released another revision because of issues with earlier ones like blank screens etc.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 10:39 PM

Mine - an early model - ended up (apparently) overheating itself to death, and I cannot get Apple to fix/replace it as my computer is out of warranty. And this is with regular de-dustifying.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 02:47 AM

Not sure if it's first or second generation. I got it within a couple days of the 8-core announceement BTO'd. There is a thick dust shield inside the back intake I can't take off (since it's behind the grill). I can't afford to have my card die early, I also can't afford down-time since I live on my Mac due to my disability, as well we have no Apple stores within thousands of miles.

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-202
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.202
--Stephen King

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2008, 03:03 AM

It has gotten worse over time for me, sorry to say. I run smcFanControl to boost the PCIe fan and cool it down. That's the main reason I'm disappointed the new cards won't work in old Mac Pro's as of now. I spray it regularly with canned air to no avail, and withLeopard it's only gotten worse with visual artifacts and all kinds of crap.

There is also no way to tell which revision you have via software.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2008, 06:35 PM

Well I am cleaning it out on Tuesday evening with a friend. Anything to look for when I do that? Maybe this an actually legit reason for a class action to force ATI to issue new fans for the 1900's since they are designed poorly (or at min get ATI to do a recall).
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules