Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro warranty expires in April, RAM not showing up. Should I get AppleCare?

Mac Pro warranty expires in April, RAM not showing up. Should I get AppleCare?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2008, 06:12 PM

Last week, my Mac Pro went from 3GB to 2GB RAM. I discovered my 2x1GB OWC RAM was showing as 2x512MB, and the riser card was showing a red light. I then swapped it around with the 2x512MB and all seemed fine. Then I woke up to a frozen computer rebooted and again had 2GB showing, but this time, the 2x512MB DIMMS weren't showing up.

Should I take it into an Authorized Apple repair tomorrow (only week I can afford to not be without it), or should I assume it's software issue (not covered). If it's not hardware they charge $80 fee to just look at it. I will pull my data drive if I send it in, since it has ireplacable data on it. I bought it April 11, 2007. Since this has happened as well as my 1900XT being very loud and having to clean it out, could this RAM issue be a sign and I should get AppleCare?

Thanks
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 09:11 PM

I'd assume it's hardware and probably Apple's although it may be OWC's. I don't see how they'll blame it on software, and even if it is there should be no charge while it's under AppleCare.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2008, 10:15 PM

Ran hardware test CD and it came up negative. Can repair find a problem that happened (like RAM not showing up/riser card showing a red light) even though it's fine now?
--Stephen King

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
...could this RAM issue be a sign and I should get AppleCare?
AppleCare at a cost of $249 on a loaded Mac Pro system is almost reasonable (unlike the ridiculous $349 some folks pay for laptops). IMO your symptoms are very likely hardware not software. Odds are it is the RAM which will be covered by the RAM vendor, but if things are getting flaky near the end of warranty I would buy AppleCare.

-Allen Wicks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2008, 01:51 AM

Yes to AppleCare. Compared to the money you spent buying the hardware the price of another two years of warranty is negligible.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2008, 02:25 AM

Well took it in and it was the OWC RAM like I said it was but my friend said that I should move the RAM around and that caused the other Apple RAM to not show up. Took it in and they charged me $100 to say it was the OWC RAM (my friend then said I should have called him first (uh I tried).
--Stephen King

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
AppleCare at a cost of $249 on a loaded Mac Pro system is almost reasonable (unlike the ridiculous $349 some folks pay for laptops).
The cost tends to scale on warranties based on the single most expensive component in a system, and not the cost of the entire system or speed of the system. Laptops have a pretty expensive mainboard in them due to the non socketed CPU and other components. Where as the Mac Pro allows the CPUs and such to be removed if the mainboard needed to be replaced.

With that said, it is possible to get Applecare on a discount. Check to see if the company you work for gets a discount from Apple, or if you are a student, use the student discount plan.
<This space under renovation>

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Well took it in and it was the OWC RAM like I said it was but my friend said that I should move the RAM around and that caused the other Apple RAM to not show up. Took it in and they charged me $100 to say it was the OWC RAM (my friend then said I should have called him first (uh I tried).
One thing to consider. When you go to Apple with a problem with the computer, take out all third party (not installed by Apple) items. RAM, hard drives, etc, and reinstall anything Apple shipped with the machine.

Otherwise, you risk them simply blaming the problem on the third party stuff and not properly looking into the issue. Has happened to many people around here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules