Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 27" Late 2013 iMac 3rd party RAM

27" Late 2013 iMac 3rd party RAM
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 05:00 PM

Is this ok for a late 2013 iMac? (3.5Ghz i7) It looks like it meets the specs listed on Apple's website.
$140 for 16G of RAM $280 for 32G
PNY - 2 x 8GB DDR3 Low Voltage Notebook Memory

45/47

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Is this ok for a late 2013 iMac? (3.5Ghz i7) It looks like it meets the specs listed on Apple's website.
$140 for 16G of RAM $280 for 32G
PNY - 2 x 8GB DDR3 Low Voltage Notebook Memory

Chongo,

First of all, it says Notebook memory on the link you provided (the package itself says "IDEAL for upgrading your laptop). In many instances, Notebook memory cards are a different size than desktop ones, even though they might have the same specs.

Secondly, I once purchased PNY memory for one of my prior machines (can't remember exactly which one), thinking the same as you did (met the specs, but at least it was for the correct "type" of machine). The package did not specifically state any type of Mac machine, but I gave it a try anyway. No go.

Here are the results I just did on Best Buy's site for "Memory for iMacs":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=-7543570281503507933&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960& st=Memory+for+iMacs&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=SAAS~cur rentprice_facet%3DPrice~Less+than+%2450^currentpri ce_facet%3DPrice~%2450+-+%2499.99^currentprice_facet%3DPrice~%24100+-+%24149.99^currentprice_facet%3DPrice~%24150+-+%24199.99^&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&fs=sa as&iht=n&seeAll=

(Dam! It's not turning up as a link that you can click. You can just copy and paste it in the address field of your browser, and it will then go to the correct page) I did this for all memory whose total price was less than $200. There is not a single one by PNY on that list.

You should also try a google search, and it would be even better if you did the memory search by your iMac Model number (if you had provided that, maybe the Best Buy search could have been better).
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 13, 2014 at 06:00 PM. )

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 05:45 PM

iMacs use laptop RAM (204 pin)
45/47

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 05:58 PM

iMacs use laptop RAM (204 pin)
That could be. But, I'd still get memory that specifically states it is for your iMac model.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Since you are in "The Valley of The Sun", assuming that is Phoenix, Fry's has a store in Phoenix:

Fry's Electronics. Welcome to our Phoenix AZ. Store Location.

You might want to look at them also.

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 06:07 PM

OK, directly from PNY's site, here are the ones that are compatible with iMacs:

PNY

Look closely at the PNY model numbers, versus the one from Best Buy. They sure look different.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 06:20 PM

Thanks. I just want to be sure. I bought some RAM from Frys and for my Silver Door Power Mac and it did not play nice. I had to to take it back and buy a better grade of RAM
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 06:27 PM

Those are PC3 10666, the latest iMacs use PC3 12800

You can use any small-outline dual inline memory modules (SO-DIMMS) that meet all of these criteria:

PC3-12800
Unbuffered
Nonparity
204-pin
1600 MHz
DDR3 SDRAM
45/47

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 06:30 PM

Thanks. I just want to be sure. I bought some RAM from Frys and for my Silver Door Power Mac and it did not play nice. I had to to take it back and buy a better grade of RAM
You're welcome. And, I understand about your trepidation with Frys. We have one up here also (in the Seattle, WA area), but it is not that close to my place. There are at least 2 or 3 Best Buys that are closer. The availability of Mac and Mac-compatible products at Best Buy stores has improved, but one still needs to be careful.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 13, 2014, 06:31 PM

iMac (Late 2013): Memory specifications

Apple guidance on the topic. Summary:

PC3-12800
Unbuffered
Nonparity
204-pin (laptop style)
1600 MHz
DDR3 SDRAM

Buffered, parity, or differing speed RAM won't work. Chongo's got it head-on.

There's nothing magical about Apple RAM. You just need to match the specs.

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post

Buffered, parity, or differing speed RAM won't work. Chongo's got it head-on.

There's nothing magical about Apple RAM. You just need to match the specs.
Understand. And, regarding that Buffered "Part", from the Apple page you linked to:

"DIMMs with any of the following features do not work in iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) computers:

Registers or buffers
PLLs
ECC
Parity
EDO RAM"

And yes, one does not have to buy memory from Apple for Macs. But, you have to be careful.

As it is, I tried to do a search based on that PNY model number to see about Buffering, Parity, etc., and could not come up with anything specific. So, now I don't know which PNY "model" will work.
( Last edited by akent35; Jul 13, 2014 at 06:52 PM. )

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 06:51 PM

Those are PC3 10666, the latest iMacs use PC3 12800
Oops! You're correct. Wish PNY would get it right!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2014, 06:55 PM

A word on specs: there was one series of iMac (2011?) where the larger model would reliably work at maximum RAM capacity ONLY with Samsung RAM for a while.

Apparently, "following spec" is a fairly relative term, and Macs can be a little pickier than others.

I'm not aware of any issues at the moment, but I'd probably tend to buy stuff explicitly stated to work in Macs, anyway.

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
A word on specs: there was one series of iMac (2011?) where the larger model would reliably work at maximum RAM capacity ONLY with Samsung RAM for a while.

Apparently, "following spec" is a fairly relative term, and Macs can be a little pickier than others.

I'm not aware of any issues at the moment, but I'd probably tend to buy stuff explicitly stated to work in Macs, anyway.
Chongo,

Based on that, maybe you should use the "About This Mac" feature to find our exactly what type of memory is currently installed in your iMac. Probably over kill, but better to be safe than sorry.

By the way, what is the exact model number for your iMac? That would help.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2014, 07:12 PM

The "About this Mac" reports spec. This was just an anecdote, and it affected a single series of machines for a while until other RAM manufacturers matched spec properly.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 07:16 PM

I went with a refurb 27" 3.4Ghz i7 late 2013 w 4G video card 8G RAM 3T Fusion drive

Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts
a 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module.
45/47

akent35
Banned
Jul 13, 2014, 07:31 PM

I went with a refurb 27" 3.4Ghz i7 late 2013 w 4G video card 8G RAM 3T Fusion drive
Assuming it is an upgraded model iMac14,2, here are ones from OWC that will work (rather expensive), compared to the PNY one at Best Buy (which most likely is not compatible):

OWC 1600DDR3S08S 8.0GB (4GBx2) PC3-12800 DDR3L... in stock at OWC

(These also are compatible with my Mac Mini. I currently have 4 gig of RAM, and have considered upgrading, but so far, cannot justify the cost. There are only 2 RAM slots in my Mac Mini).

To find out the specific model number (ie, iMac14,2), do the following:

1. Click the Apple logo in the upper left hand corner, and select "About This Mac".

2. On the page that appears, click "More Info...".

3. On the next page that appears, click "System Report".

4. The next page will say "Hardware Overview". Within the second "column", for the second entry, it says "Model Identifier". That is where it should say iMac14,2.

That "type" of Model Number works real well on OWC's page, but not too sure for other manufacturers. You could also use the Model Number that is on the box your iMac came in. For example, for my Mac Mini, the model number on the box is MD388LL/A", but via the instructions above, the Model Identifier for my Mac Mini is "MacMini6,2".

I know this seems like a hassle, but with memory for Macs from third party vendors, one must be careful.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 08:42 PM

I went to BB, it's 1/2 mile from my house. They did not have the the RAM I listed. They did have two 16GB packages that were $20 dollars more, and are Mac compatible. The price is less the Fry's want and is 7 miles closer! ($300 less than apple chargers for 32GB)
( Last edited by Chongo; Jul 14, 2014 at 12:16 AM. )
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2014, 10:52 PM

Runs like a champ!
45/47

akent35
Banned
Jul 14, 2014, 12:14 AM

Runs like a champ!
Way to go!