Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Game of the year?

Game of the year?
P
Jan 6, 2015, 02:24 PM

So, what is your game of the year? It strikes me as a year of many misses among the AAA games.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2015, 02:38 PM

Hmmm... I would say nothing for me. I bought a few games, but none were fantastic. Well, I got Fez for free, and loved it, but that's old.

Also, this is a sign I'm getting old.

Fatty says Aliens: Isolation.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2015, 03:58 PM

Nothing grabs me and makes me want to dive in and play it anymore. For a few weeks it was Elite Dangerous, but I haven't even played it since the official release.

Wolfenstein was lots of fun, but I didn't even finish it.

If this is a sign that I'm getting older, I'm positively ancient.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2015, 03:58 PM

2014 was a transitional year for me, and one of my busier ones professionally as well. With everyone jumping to next gen early in the year I sat back on my library with few exceptions. GTA5, CoD Ghosts and Bioshock Infinite were bought from my buddy who moved to FL, none of which were released in 2014.

So far for PS4, and accounting for all the games I bought and were released in 2014, are as follows: Destiny, BF4, Alien: Isolation, Little Big Planet 3, The Last of Us: Remastered, Just Dance 2014 and the Telltale Game of Thrones. I have yet to beat Alien, Destiny continues to collect dust and the rest have yet to be played a single time. That leaves only Battlefield 4, a game so damn good I bought it twice! Unfortunately I can't name BF4 my GOTY simply because I can't enjoy it unless other people are going to play with me so that only leaves Alien, which of course Dakar accurately predicted.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2015, 04:13 PM

I missed out on a lot of the contenders this year for reasons of procreation, but I've heard incredible things about the aforementioned Alien: Isolation from quite a few people. I guess it partially depends on if you like those kind of games too.

Other contenders (gathered from several sources):
- Shovel Knight
- Super Smash Bros. Wii U
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Mario Kart 8
- Child of Earth
- Alien: Isolation
- South Park: The Stick of Truth
- Dark Souls 2
- Hearthstone
- Transistor
- Divinity: Original Sin
- Sunset Overdrive
- The Binding of Isaac
- Dragon Age: Inquisition

Out of those, I've played Shovel Knight, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Middle Earth: SoM, Mario Kart 8, Hearthstone, Transistor, and Sunset Overdrive. My personal favorites of those (ranked):

1. Mario Kart 8 - I still haven't grown tired of it, and the DLC tracks were so much better than I expected. It's actually a beautiful game, too.
2. Shovel Knight - This has probably been the hipster-gamer selection of choice this year, but it really is that good.
3. Super Smash Bros. Wii U - There's not another game that's more fun to play with a group of friends, period. We're actually building a student center right now that will feature a 30-foot-wide video wall. One of the first things we'll be doing is holding a Smash Bros. tournament.

Other notes:
- Transistor was cool, but I lost interest after about two hours and never returned.
- Sunset Overdrive was massively overrated.
- Hearthstone is a must for iPad owners.
- Child of Earth is a beautiful game, but I'll likely never get around to it.
- The Binding of Isaac is supposed to be incredibly unsettling.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2015, 04:14 PM

BF4 was 2013, anyway. If it had a stellar launch it might have qualified that year. It did not.

I think the only games I bought this year were Infamous: Second Son, which was pretty, but repetitive and boring after a while, and Shadow of Mordor, which was pretty good, but lacked something for me. I probably put more time into my GTA rebuy than those two combined last year, which doesn't say anything good about those games or me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think the only games I bought this year were Infamous: Second Son, which was pretty, but repetitive and boring after a while...
I loaned my friend the game. He said it was beautiful, but stalled out at about 2/3 through, and says he'll never go back to it. The game wasn't as good as Infamous 2, and certainly isn't a GotY contender, but it definitely was pretty.

We could also have a whole separate discussion about all the games that were completely broken upon release.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2015, 04:34 PM

Mario Kart 8

P  (op)
Jan 6, 2015, 06:03 PM

So it's not just me, then. The games I see on top ten lists are games that only just barely held it together. Shadows of Mordor was fun, but extremely derivative. DA:I has borderline unusable controls on the PC, and while there is certainly a lot of content there, most of it doesn't interest me, and it feels like chore to go back in to finish it. Transistor was too short and fairly repetitive. Far Cry 4 I would have played, except for Uplay, and it seems a lot like FC3 anyway. Having a newish computer meant there was enough back catalog games to play through, but 2014 was a dud - with the reservation that I keep hearing Endless Legend and Divinity: Original Sin as games I should try, and haven't.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2015, 06:16 PM

Yeah, I suppose its worth noting GTA was the game that got me most excited this year. FC4 should be good, AC was a disaster, DA:I probably not my cup o' tea.

The big question, I guess, is 2015 looking any better? I can't think of any games off the top of my head.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That leaves only Battlefield 4, a game so damn good I bought it twice! Unfortunately I can't name BF4 my GOTY simply because I can't enjoy it unless other people are going to play with me so that only leaves Alien, which of course Dakar accurately predicted.
That's how i feel about Destiny. The game is such a bore when you play it by yourself but team up with 5 other players on a raid and holy shit is it fun. I picked up GTA V last month for $20 but haven't played it yet.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2015, 07:50 PM

The big question, I guess, is 2015 looking any better? I can't think of any games off the top of my head.
DriveClub: PSN Plus edition j/k

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2015, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Mario Kart 8 - I still haven't grown tired of it, and the DLC tracks were so much better than I expected. It's actually a beautiful game, too.
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - There's not another game that's more fun to play with a group of friends, period.
I agree on every bit.

P  (op)
Jan 7, 2015, 04:49 AM

Well, for me there is Pillars of Eternity, but I appreciate that that is not for everyone. I have some hope for a Fallout 4 for the holiday season.

EDIT: Arkham Knight should be released soon, right?
( Last edited by P; Jan 7, 2015 at 06:15 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2015, 04:37 AM

1. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
3. Shadow of Mordor
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2015, 01:55 AM

I completely forgot about Dark Souls II, I'd probably put it in a tie for #2. It's damned hard and properly creepy as hell in parts, great game.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Forum Links
Forum Rules