Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > we had several revisions of g4 powermacs , anyone forsee any interesting developments

we had several revisions of g4 powermacs , anyone forsee any interesting developments
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jan 8, 2005, 02:22 PM

re the g5 ?

a new tower design maybe ??

let's free up that hard disk space etc

and maybe another cd/dvd drive ???

yikes600
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 03:21 PM

The upgradability of the current PM G5 is severely lacking for a case of its size (1 full size drive bay, 2 internal hard drives). Unless Apple rethinks its "cooling zones" idea I don't think it's gonna change. There's just too much wasted space. I would welcome a new design that finally puts form in the backseat to functionality. Sure, they hid all the ugly ribbon cables but who really cares? Are fans revving up and down really better than a constant hum? In the near future I expect Apple will add minor upgrades to the line (a 2.3GHz model as they did with the XServe) but nothing drastic. Look at the PowerMac G3 from 1998... that design stuck for 4 years until they finally revised it in 2002 with the G4 Mirror-Drive-Door. I hope they prove me wrong.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 03:21 PM

From a manufacturing point of view, the G4 changed very little during the revisions from the Yosemite G3.

The only differences were to the front and back panel, and minor modifications to the arrangements of drives and the motherboard.

I can't see the G5 changing at all because the space is so confined. In order to make it nice and quiet (addressing a major grumble with the G4s) they've devoted a large volume to cooling. Having said that, the dual 2.5 is a good couple of centimetres wider than the other G5s, so case modifications aren't out of the question

yikes600
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 03:24 PM

Ha, Krypton. Funny how similar our posts are (and posted simultaneously).

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by yikes600:
Ha, Krypton. Funny how similar our posts are (and posted simultaneously).
My thoughts also

This thread must be dead already then, as we've reached an agreement before we started discussing...

NordicMan
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
re the g5 ?

a new tower design maybe ??

let's free up that hard disk space etc

and maybe another cd/dvd drive ???
Good thought. It could be called the G5 Workstation. Not greatly likely, just now, but, one may suppose that when an upgrade to the cpu happens, that there may be another cooling design, which would allow more room for drives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules