Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > browsers on my new eMac

browsers on my new eMac
GeneMoni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hello everyone!!

Please forgive my ignorance but over the years of reading different product's forums, I have come away much more informed in a shorter span of time by reading opinions such as yours.

Last week I bought a new eMac and it is awesome (couldn't force myself to buy a Dell or HP/Compaq or Gateway for various reasons).
When I had Road Runner installed last Wednesday, the technician pulled up the (I guess??)Internet Explorer for Macs homepage. But the homepage defaults to an Apple content page and I really want the Road Runner homepage.

Did the Internet Explorer mess anything up, and is Safai or Safari RSS as good or better? Should I just leave the computer set up just like it is, or call RR and see if there other search engines like Netscape that just came on.

Will I do something wrong or am I just ignorant in using Netscape, Internet Explorer or the Apple website as my default page??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gene

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 06:35 PM

Hi Gene,
I don't think IE messed up anything. Basically, you just have to tell IE to open your desired webpage everytime you turn it on. Check on the menu for options or preferences and you can change there the default page.
Safari is ok. is much better than IE. Nevertheless, there would be times that you require IE for banking purposes.
What i will advice you is to download Firefox. It has tab browsing and RSS reader included. It is, in my opinion, the best browser nowadays for the Mac.

regards

barang
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2005, 07:04 PM

Yup, firefox is one of the best. Safari is ok to, though. No IE, please.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 07:22 AM

There are many web browsers for Mac OS X, including but not limited to:

Firefox
Safari
OmniWeb
Camino
iCab

Safari is perhaps the best all round, but Firefox is a worthy contender and noticeably faster.

To set your home page go to the Application menu (name of the program) -> Preferences -> General (in most browsers) and it should be there.

For some daft reason, setting the default homepage in Safari will affect all the other browsers.

Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2005, 07:24 AM

if you want it to default to your page set it up to do so under preferences

Forum Links
Forum Rules