Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook won't auto sleep in X 10.1!

TiBook won't auto sleep in X 10.1!
jmontana66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 12:55 AM

It will sleep if I tell it to sleep, but my Energy Saver settings are completely ignored. I even set everything at 5 minutes, and although the screen dims and blanks out and the hard drive spins down, the machine never truly goes to sleep (the light never pulses.)

This used to work in X 10.0.x. This is really frustrating ... anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
jon

SamGrinter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 02:19 PM

That is strange. I don't know what is wrong; but perhaps there is a way to set it so that energy saver only works in battery-mode? Maybe it is set so that it does that.

jmontana66  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by SamGrinter:
<STRONG>That is strange. I don't know what is wrong; but perhaps there is a way to set it so that energy saver only works in battery-mode? Maybe it is set so that it does that. </STRONG>
I wish! That's one of the features of OS 9 I've been dying to have in X. Right now, you gotta have a global setting regardless of whether you're plugged in or not.

Here's the weird part: today, it's suddenly working. No idea what's going on; I didn't change anything as far as I can tell .. wish I knew what was up!

jmontana66  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2001, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by jmontana66:
<STRONG>

I wish! That's one of the features of OS 9 I've been dying to have in X. Right now, you gotta have a global setting regardless of whether you're plugged in or not.

Here's the weird part: today, it's suddenly working. No idea what's going on; I didn't change anything as far as I can tell .. wish I knew what was up! </STRONG>
Gotta love quoting yourself! It's back to not working again. I don't get it ... it's really seemingly random.

Anyone else having this problem?

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2001, 01:11 AM

maybe OS X has a problem with sleep mode. my pismo would freeze everytime it woke up from sleep. I got lines of code on the screen saying something about the kernal, then i'd have to turn the machine off and on again. Anyway, I couldn't get any help from the discussion group when i posted the problem so I'm back to using OS 9 which I think I prefer over X.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2001, 10:05 AM

I have experimented and found that AOL beta (now ver 19) if on, even off line, prevents sleep from occuring automatically. If you select from the apple menu no problem. There may be other programs that when on, even though not in the foreground, may prevent sleep.

ali
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 10:54 AM

I know that the sleep mode works in 10.1 on the PB as it does so on my Pismo. Having stated that, I had a similar problem in 10.1 on my G4 Power Mac and it just disappeared one day. I had tried to fix it much the same way you have, but nothing worked. I don't know what the fix is as I said before it just corrected itself. I just wanted to confirm this is a bug and not "some forgot to include issue"

jo5_h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2001, 11:18 AM

i have not been using Mac OS X so much since around the time i upgraded from 10.0.4 to 10.1, but i think it was sleeping fine then.. and having trouble now that i've updated to 10.1.1. it's odd.. as it used to sleep just fine in 10.0.x, and as mentioned earlier it will sleep if i tell it to by selecting 'Sleep' in the Apple menu. i have a sneaking suspicion that Up-to-Date & Contact may be creating automatic backups of it's data file and preventing the machine from sleeping.. but like i said, i'm not using OS X a ton these days, so i haven't had a chance to investigate this further.

i agree that Mac OS X really needs to offer separate Energy Saver profiles for portables when they're plugged in or running from a battery..
- jo5_h

beep boop muthaf*ckers
http://braineater.net/

PowerMac G4 Cube - 500MHz | 1.5GB | 60GB | CD-RW | 22" Apple Cinema Display
Titanium PowerBook G4 - 500MHz | 512MB | 20GB

jmontana66  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2001, 02:16 PM

I'm starting to suspect that this really is the problem. I don't use AOL or NUD/Contact, but there must be some other app keeping the 'book awake. The weird part is that I've seen it go to sleep on its own and then fail to go to sleep while I was using the same group of applicatrions, so maybe that's not it after all.

I was chasing a theory that it was tied to Airport for awhile, but that's not it, either, sinced turning off Airport doesn't help. The only thing I know for sure is that it started happening with 10.1. So perhaps it's an OS problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules