Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Battery Ain't What it Used to Be

PowerBook Battery Ain't What it Used to Be
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 10:52 AM

I have not been getting the longevity on my Ti 550 that I did when I first got it. I have added an airport that I keep off, a firewire PC card that only gets used when I'm plugged in, and a 512 MB RAM chip. I use OS X.1.3 and usually use an external optical mouse. What can I do to make the battery last longer?

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
<STRONG>I have not been getting the longevity on my Ti 550 that I did when I first got it. I have added an airport that I keep off, a firewire PC card that only gets used when I'm plugged in, and a 512 MB RAM chip. I use OS X.1.3 and usually use an external optical mouse. What can I do to make the battery last longer?</STRONG>
After about a years worth of hard use the batteries just start going down hill fast. Just the nature of the beast.

My PISMO (26 months old) batts only get me about 5 hours. I used to get over 8 hours when they were new.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 12:18 PM

Well, there are some ways to increase battery-life. First of all, unplug everyting you don't really need. Even if it's turned off, the Computer checks from time to time whether the hardware is still present.

Also, getting more RAM means more power being needed. But you can now create a RAM-Disk, and use it for saving your documents 'n' stuff instead of your harddrive. 'Cause then you can set you HDD-Timeout to 1 Minute, and you harddrive will turn itself off after one Minute.
You may have to decrease the brightness of your screen, that saves a lot of battery too.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 12:24 PM

Once in a while you should use the battery until it's sucked EMPTY. The LiIon batteries don't have that memory effect very distinctive, yet in the long run you will have better power...

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
<STRONG>Once in a while you should use the battery until it's sucked EMPTY. The LiIon batteries don't have that memory effect very distinctive, yet in the long run you will have better power...</STRONG>
You're absolutely right, I totally forgot 'bout that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

grey
Apr 9, 2002, 02:29 PM

Really! i've been told these new Li ion batteries don't have any memory problem like that at all, but skeptical friends with NEC/Toshiba laptops always drain and recharge the old-fashioned way...

I have the same 550 Ti with AirPort installed, using it with airport running for about 3 months now, recharging erratically. No degredation so far...

Hope these batteries don't cost too much...

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by grey:
<STRONG>Really! i've been told these new Li ion batteries don't have any memory problem like that at all, but skeptical friends with NEC/Toshiba laptops always drain and recharge the old-fashioned way...

I have the same 550 Ti with AirPort installed, using it with airport running for about 3 months now, recharging erratically. No degredation so far...

Hope these batteries don't cost too much...</STRONG>
Yeah, the LiIon batteries don't have any memory effect, but Apple recommends a full discharge/recharge when you first get the machine and once in a while afterwards. A TiBook battery isn't too bad costwise, only $129. I thought this was kind of steep until I saw what a replacement battery for my Sony VAIO was - $329!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules