Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > T68i + PB + BT Question

T68i + PB + BT Question
Wesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 02:36 PM

Hello I am about to get my first bluetooth phone (T68i) and was hoping that some of you that already have one with a bluetooth equipped mac could tell me some of the things that are possible with the pair. If i type names and numbers into the adress book on my mac will it sync up with my phone and auto put in all the names/numbers? What about a calender, please tell me everything that is possible, thanks a lot.....

Eric
Proud owner of a 12" 700 Mhz IBook
Proud owner of a 15" 500 Mhz TiBook
Proud owner of a 12" 1-SD Ghz AlBook

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 05:28 PM

There are tons of things you can do with your bluetooth phone and your mac.

1. You can sync your address book and your ical.
2. You can control your computer with your phone. Salling Clicker
3. Put pictures and ringtones on your phone (animated gifs too) using Ericsson Client (follow the Salling link).
4. You can make themes for your phone with Theme Editor
5. You can dial your phone thru address book.
6. Address book can display who is calling on your screen.
7. You can connect your PB to the internet with your phone. No wires!

I'm sure there is tons more. Have fun with your new phone/toy.

-b

Gohok!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:32 PM

Try Romeo with the T68i and your powerbook. I find it works very well, has a nice options (control panel) screen and is pretty straight forward to configure, use and tweak.

You will be able to remote control your Powerpoint, Keynote, iTunes, DVD player, system volume, mouse through menu commands that come up in the accessories window. Not to mention syncing iCal and Address book.

You could also use the phone as a wireless modem (at about 56K speeds) to surf the net but I have not 'gone there' yet.

OMGWTFBBQ
Nov 19, 2003, 11:45 PM

I too am interested in this. I'm not sure about surfing the web via the phone - does that require anything special from the provider, or is it essentially using the phone as if you were dialing someone, but as a modem?
I only ask because I also know that there are data networks for the cell phones too, but I would assume that is if you want your phone to send its text data out, and not use it as a modem/phone pairing.

My rate plan is awful anyway (computers, electronics, net connections, and cellphones/plans are very expensive here due to lack of economies of scale) , so it is just as well that other than a "oooh cool" thing, how much I'd use it anyway.

I currently have the nokia 8890 and while it serves its purpose and looks pretty nice, I am looking to get a BT phone. I have heard that Sony/Ericsson is the way to go.

I was initially looking at the T68i, telling myself that if I wanted a camera, I'd just buy a separate one, which I will be doing come January anyway.
But then I started thinking of actual scenarios where a camera phone might be useful (I live in Bermuda, plenty of photo opportunities here) and I always have the phone on me - whereas I would have to plan to take the regular camera - and I don't always need great pics.

I am thinking of waiting until the T630 is out - I prefer the way the T600 looks, but the T630 supposedly has fixed a few problems of the T600 (like the screen being hard to read in sunlight).
I am also very vaguely considering the P900, but only barely - the thing is larger than I want, and very much overkill and too pricey - but I figure I may as well consider it.

I am definitely interested in hearing about things that you can do with the phone/laptop pairing and or scenarios where one would really enjoy the pairing.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 02:40 AM

As far as using your phone for a modem, you can use it either way. You can use it if you have a data account or you can use it to dial up your isp. I have dsl at home, so I have a free dial up account and have used that to connect to the internet thru my phone. I got a whopping 9600 baud! Smokin'! It would definately be your last resort if you just HAD to check your e-mail and had no Wi-Fi available.

-b

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 04:52 PM

Phoneagent pro is the best utility I've seen up to now. Although it's billed for use with the t610/616, it apparently works with the t68i too, according to a review on macupdate. You might want to give it a go.

PhoneAgent is a tool that helps organize, connect and manage data on your Sony Ericsson T610, T616, Z600 mobile phone. Features include:
  • phonebook management (extended phonebook supported - 5 numbers, 2 texts, email and a person's picture for each entry) - editing, uploading, deleting, backup, export
    SMS management - reading from the phone, sending, replying, forwarding, deleting, flash SMS)
    Creating MMS messages and uploading them to the phone
    Creating and editing own themes and uploading them to the phone
    Sending pictures, sounds, games, themes and other files directly to the phone
    Editing phone Wap bookmarks
    Writing notes and uploading them to the phone
    Bluetooth connection

It can be found here:
http://www.macmedia.sk/

or on macupdate:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13026

OMGWTFBBQ
Nov 20, 2003, 10:14 PM

So wanderlust, judging from your sig, it looks like you have a T610.

Is the screen *that bad* in sunlight that it isn't worth it?

Do you know what the changes are from the T610 to the T630? (aside from the screen?)

I personally prefer the way the T610/T616 looks over the T630, but I have read that the screen on the T610/616 is annoying.

I actually hate being on the phone, so I'm not sure how much I would even look at the thing, especially whilst outside.

I like the fact that I can get a new T616 for $219 off of Amazon right now and not have to wait and pay more for the T630.

I don't particularly "need" either of them at this point, my phone is working just fine - but I have gadget lust I guess.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 12:16 AM

You maybe able to get the best of both worlds. I read over in the Howard Forums that it maybe possible to replace the screen of T610 with a newer T630 screen. Both phones are almost identical. I'll go and try to find you a link.

edit: Here's the link.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Nov 21, 2003 at 12:32 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ:
So wanderlust, judging from your sig, it looks like you have a T610.

Is the screen *that bad* in sunlight that it isn't worth it?

I personally prefer the way the T610/T616 looks over the T630, but I have read that the screen on the T610/616 is annoying.
I think the T616 is a great phone. But I think it does kinda suck in the sun though. It also depends on your Theme that you use.

The T630 won't be out until next year around March. And I really hate the look of all white, not that it looks bad, but I just don't like it.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by Gohok!:
Try Romeo with the T68i and your powerbook. I find it works very well, has a nice options (control panel) screen and is pretty straight forward to configure, use and tweak.

You will be able to remote control your Powerpoint, Keynote, iTunes, DVD player, system volume, mouse through menu commands that come up in the accessories window. Not to mention syncing iCal and Address book.

You could also use the phone as a wireless modem (at about 56K speeds) to surf the net but I have not 'gone there' yet.

Yep, Romeo is some awesome software...

Welcome to the forum too, great first post!

OMGWTFBBQ
Nov 21, 2003, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the tip on the 616/630!

I'll get a 616 soon and then if I think the screen is a problem - I'll just see if I can get a screen from the other.

I used to know a site that had every phone manufacturer's parts available - that is how I would fix my Nokia myself. Perhaps once the T630 is out for a bit and if I feel there is an issue with the screen, I will just replace it.

That said, I suppose if the T616 is cheaper now, it will really drop in price when the 630 comes out.

They aren't available at all here in Bermuda that I can find, and even if they were, they'd cost way more - maybe I will try to find one when I am in the States for vacation this coming week.
Or good old Amazon and their rebate so that it gets down to $219 - that is better than I have seen it on EBay.

thanks again!

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks very much for the tip and links. I was wondering what I could do with my new powerbook and my T68i, now I know
S k y p a t

Forum Links
Forum Rules