Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cracked iPod headphone jack

Cracked iPod headphone jack
msc1974
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 06:57 PM

I live in New Zealand and today I took my G2 10Gb iPod to the local Mac dealer to try and get it fixed. I noticed a small crack on the headphone jack.

The iPod still plays just fine but as my warranty expires in January (16th) and I don't want the crack get worse. I use a iTrip (best FM iPod device) ever day to and from work and I always take the iTrip out when I get to and from work. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but as a portable music device you'd expect it to be build to last... I have a Sony Walkman that must be 10 years old and apart from the odd scratch it still works just fine. Ok the quality of the iPod is far better but I digress.

The Apple service guy (including Apple logo'd t-shirt) took a look and said his own iPod broke the same way. He said that its caused be not using the remote section of the headphones... the long section that has the remote on it ;o) Anyway, he disappeared out the back and about 2 mins later he came out saying that it doesn't seem hopeful but he'll take some digital shots and email through to Apple as he/they (Authorized Apple Dealer/s) can't give me a decision and that I'll have to wait until Thursday, maybe even Friday (19 Dec) before I get an answer.

Oh, I almost forgot. When the service guy came back, he told me to claim the iPOD DESIGN FAULT on my own household insurance. I did ask he about the excess costs on my policy not to mention the increase in premium next year. I told him to take the pictures!

I'll check back and let you know when they reply.

I'm also going to post this post on the Apple forum as soon I I know Apple's reply and I'll see if they delete it.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 07:26 PM

Don't forget you can get Applecare for your iPod for $59USD to extend your warranty. Is this available for overseas customers?

-b

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 07:43 PM

if anyone has solutions to this problem, i'd be really interested. my original 5 gb ipod currently only works as a firewire hard drive, both because the battery is shot and because the headphone jack is cracked to the point of having metal exposed. plugging in headphones makes it shut off. not good.

anyway, if the headphone jack problem could be fixed, then i could jimmy it open and slap in a new battery from ipodbattery.com ... anyone?

msc1974  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 08:05 PM

Thanks aapljack for the advice but why should I have to pay an extra premium for an Apple design fault, which this is?

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 10:15 PM

Ugh, happened to me too... $250 to fix according to Apple.

What did I do? Bought a new iPod. (Good excuse, huh?)
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

msc1974  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 11:05 PM

That sucks... Some people I have spoken to have had there's fixed for free but others have not... It seem to depend on what area you live in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules