Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about Vob's & Mepgs, with a FCP twist

Question about Vob's & Mepgs, with a FCP twist
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2004, 12:51 PM

Here is a good question (I believe).

I know that a Vob file is an Mpeg (2 I believe) video, with audio (aac, or similar), with subtitles, all in one file.

So, if I were to Demux the audio and video, theoretically I would end up with Mpeg video, with whatever audio was left over.
This would mean that final cut (and imovie for that matter) should pull in the demuxed vob video no problem, since it is just an mpeg file, and it pulls in mpegs from other sources no problem.

I find the above statement not to be true however, and I dont know why. Is it a special mpeg? does it know it came from a vob? Does it have to be named a special extension, (I have tried many extensions)

Thats about it, PLEASE anyone with any insight please respond,

Thanks alot
Force
Force

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 01:32 PM

I know that a Vob file is an Mpeg (2 I believe) video,

yes

with audio (aac, or similar),

ac3

with subtitles, all in one file.

So, if I were to Demux the audio and video, theoretically I would end up with Mpeg video, with whatever audio was left over.
This would mean that final cut (and imovie for that matter) should pull in the demuxed vob video no problem, since it is just an mpeg file,

yes

and it pulls in mpegs from other sources no problem.

if you consider ignoring the audio "no problem" then yes (I'm not sure about FC but iMovie just uses QuickTime to import non-native file formats, and QuickTime doesn't convert MPEG or ac3 audio)

I find the above statement not to be true however, and I dont know why.

if you're asking for help on this one you're going to have to actually say what happened (it doesn't read the vob? it doesn't read the demuxed video? or audio? how did you demux? what did iMovie or FCP say about it?)

for video, you'd be better off converting to a good editing format like DV before opening the editing app. DiVA is a good solution for this. For audio if it's ac3 (most DVDs are, but not iDVDs) macAC3Decoder, or if it's MPEG audio MAD.

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2004, 01:58 PM

I appreciate your reply.

My exact problem is, I ripped a wedding DvD with Osex, to VOB.

Demuxed to m2v & Ac3 with Divxray 3.

I dont want to lose ANY quality, so I would rather not encode.

Problem is FCP or imovie wont pull in any of these files. FCP says unknown file format.
Force

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I appreciate your reply.

My exact problem is, I ripped a wedding DvD with Osex, to VOB.

Demuxed to m2v & Ac3 with Divxray 3.

Problem is FCP or imovie wont pull in any of these files. FCP says unknown file format.
Hrmmm. I know DVDxDV will do VOB -> editable file for FCP/iMovie. Maybe check out that software and see how it handles the output video?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
what exactly DO you want to do? internet help always goes better when people say what they want to do, not ask how to do what they think they have to do and never mention their actual goal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules