Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Putting a DVD Burner in a Mac that doesn't have one

Putting a DVD Burner in a Mac that doesn't have one
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2005, 10:50 PM

I have a Mac (Quicksilver) that currently has Tiger installed and has a CD-RW drive in it. I am about to put in a DVD+/-R/RW drive in it. It's a Pioneer. Since the machine did not have a DVD drive in it when I installed Tiger, things like DVD player did not get installed. Once I install the drive, wha items will I need to install onto the Mac in order to give it full DVD support?
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 11:00 AM

just do an archive & install, or manually extract & install the files with Pacifist. You'll need the dvdplayer.app, and the discrecording frameworks & extensions too.
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 11:36 AM

Well, the machine already has a CD-RW in it, so I assume that it would already have the discrecording framework installed. I will have to take a look when I get the machine back to work on it. I am wondering if I may only need the dvdplayer.app installed.

Andy
Andy Pastuszak

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2005, 08:35 PM

DVD Player is over 30 MB so maybe it will work just installing the app.

http://charlessoft.com/

cyclotron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 05:06 AM

hi, you might also need patchburn <http://www.patchburn.de> to enable the Pioneer DVD to be seen by the various Apple apps. as the OEM DVD drive firmware is slightly different from the Apple Superdrive firmware. (e.g. my aftermarket Pioneer DVR109 DID require patchburn).
I really like the OEM DVR109 , I was D/L capable on an eMac ages before Apple officially enabled this! I do use Toast! more often than iDVD as it ties up better with the EyeTV 200 from Elgato.[HTML]<a href="http://www.patchburn.de">www.patchburn.de</a>[/HTML]

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 01:39 PM

Acutally if you are getting a Pioneer you shouldn't need to install anything for full CD/DVD burn support. YOu can install an DV-109 or other pioneer models similar to those in the G5 and older G4 models with superdrive and you won't need to install any other software or drivers for it. I've installed a few of these and have had no problems burning CD's or DVD's I'm actually looking to upgrade my QS to a DV-109 soon.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2005, 07:25 AM

That depends entirely on the firmware it has.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 06:05 PM

10.4.3 now natively supports some Pioneer burners. My DVR-K05 now shows up as Apple supported and shipped and no longer needs the PatchBurn profile.

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2005, 07:46 PM

I bought a K05 for my PowerBook and it worked out of the box on 10.4.1 and up.
Andy Pastuszak

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 06:30 AM

Ah, it was just me then.

Tiger has supported the K05 since 10.4.0. Oddly enough this time around my PatchBurn profile was ignored after applying 10.4.3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules