Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iBook will not start after security update.

iBook will not start after security update.
maccrack
May 3, 2007, 10:26 PM

It all started last week after I installed a security update the installion and everything went fine, afterwards the computer had told me to restart so I did so.. Then the problems began, I restarted like usual and when it was rebooting it got stuck on the screen with the grey apple in the middle an it looks like it will load like normal the the wheel begind to turn under the apple.. and from there on it just freezes with the wheel spinning..

ok now for things that i have tried to do..

Safe mode: for some reason just does not start at all

Single-user mode/Verbose: loads what looks to be usual things then the last line it has is
disk0s3: I/O error. and in single-user nothing can be typed at all.

Trying to boot OS X CD: I DO NOT HAVE THE CDS. tried booting with macbook CDS but it says a wierd panic: message.

Target Mode: Ok heres where things became more in depth, I used my firewire to connect my macbook to my ibook and i tried Disk utility from the OS X cds that came with the macbook and it said that there was an error and the disk could not be repaired so then i used Diskwarrior to rebuild my ibook disk and it worked fine i replaced and it said all errors were fixed.. then i used disk utility agian and this time it said there were no errors at all and that everything was fine.

I can still access all the files and everthing on my harddrive perfectly fine through target mode but the ibook will still not start up on its own.

Please any feed back would be much appreciated.

If you need any more info about the ibook just let me know.

Also I am very new too macs, thank you for your understanding.
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

maccrack  (op)
May 3, 2007, 11:34 PM

I also have complete access to all my files.. Maybe there is a file i have to delete or something?

P.S the macbook wich is fine is running tiger and the ibook wich is messed up is running panther...

maccrack  (op)
May 4, 2007, 07:36 AM

morning bump please!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2007, 07:43 AM

You're getting a hard disk error. I'd get Disk Warrior and run it. Some people have bad luck with software updates. I have been using OS X since 10.0 and have never had a single problem with an update, but other people have a lot of problems.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 08:20 AM

Yup, you have one ailing disk drive. You ran DW on your iBook through target mode on your MacBook? DW won't boot the iBook? If that is the situation, you may have worse problems than the drive itself. If DW will boot the iBook that would be good!
The fact that DW and DU report no problems now most likely means that whatever went wrong happened to a Panther system file. You will probably need to reinstall Panther, eBay is going to be your best bet. Make sure you get the real live black install CDs, the gray ones are OEMs that may not work unless you can be guaranteed that they came with your model iBook originally, be careful there!
In all probability the software update did not hurt the drive, updates and restarts do put demands on the drive that resulted in an inevitable problem.
You mentioned that it will start in target mode, you really need to back that sucker up! Before you attempt anything with Disk Warrior. By the way, the other Tiger disks are OEMs that came with your MacBook and will not work with the iBook, the kernel panic you saw is the result.

maccrack  (op)
May 4, 2007, 04:29 PM

so reguardless i am going to have to buy new disks?
also how would i go about loading the ibook with DW i was able to fix the errors in target mode but how do i load DW on the ibook if its not installed on it?

also if you think its a panther system file can that file be fixed or replaced in target mode?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 04:50 PM

You definitely need Panther install disks, the black ones; gray only if you know they are OEM for your iBook.
You do not want to "load" Disk Warrior on the drive. You want to first: back up your data. Second, pop in the DW disk and see if you can start the iBook from it, hold down the "c" key at startup.
I may be wrong here, but I don't think you can reinstall Panther through target mode because the MacBook won't allow. If you had another PPC based Mac it would work as long as that Mac was old enough to boot in Panther.

maccrack  (op)
May 4, 2007, 05:11 PM

i got DW to load on my ibook by itself, sherman do you have aim or somethin that i can talk to you directly?

maccrack  (op)
May 4, 2007, 05:29 PM

would it possibly take a long time for the os x to load after its been repaired because of what it went rhough or should it take around normal time? DW takes about 5 min to load but most people say thats usual for it? ima going to run everything and give you guys what it says..

maccrack  (op)
May 4, 2007, 05:50 PM

when i ram the file scan in DW it says 2 errors were found

File: "BootBlocksData"
Detected that the resource header is damaged and cannot be repaired
Location: *****/Applications/DiskWarrior.app/Contents/Resources

i dont think that even has anything to do with loading up the system...

kick52
Baninated
May 4, 2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You're getting a hard disk error. I'd get Disk Warrior and run it. Some people have bad luck with software updates. I have been using OS X since 10.0 and have never had a single problem with an update, but other people have a lot of problems.
so then i used Diskwarrior to rebuild my ibook disk

maccrack  (op)
May 4, 2007, 07:11 PM

ok so before the startup chime would never work now i hear the sound at startup i dont know if this is a good sign or not am i gettin closer? im at a wall now completely it says everything was repaired but still no startup

phazeshifter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2007, 04:13 AM

I would try something else if I were you. Boot up in Target Mode again, download the security update installer from apple's website then install it on your ibook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules