Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Removing the "_." files on an SD card with my mac.

Removing the "_." files on an SD card with my mac.
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2008, 12:42 AM

I have cheap and nasty MP3 player which uses an SD card. Being cheap and nasty it cannot cope with the MacOS X invisble files - the ones which start _. - these crash the device! I know it is these files because if I delete them using a windows machine it works fine. I only have a mac at home.

Is there a way I can remove these files just before ejecting the card from my mac or set the mac to not bother writing the files to the SD card?

I am happy to use terminal, but only know really basic commands.

[I know I should have a got an iPod and I will probably buy one someday but this thing was cheap and I don't like throwing things out]

TIA

Cold Warrior
Mar 5, 2008, 12:59 AM

Check macupdate.com for this

DeStore 1.3 - MacUpdate

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2008, 01:01 AM

There's a free app called FinderCleaner which will clean these files off any volume you drop on it, then eject the volume. If you're used to ejecting volumes by dragging to the Trash (as opposed to Cmd-E or using the sidebar eject icon), then it's almost transparent to put FinderCleaner in the corner of your desktop near the Trash.

There's also a preference pane called BlueHarvest which, I believe, prevents these files from being written in the 1st place (making it even more transparent once set up), and I think it can have per-volume settings. It's not free.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2008, 01:13 AM

find /Volumes/Name -name "._*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm

Replace the "Name" with whatever your USB drive/SD card's volume name is. You can do an "ls /Volumes" to check.

It's safe to do if you don't mind losing the resource forks from your files/folders on said SD card. I think these days resource fork usage is mostly limited to custom icons, though. :-P

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2008, 01:47 AM

Thanks for those quick responses - FinderCleaner sounds closest to what I think I need (thoguh some of the comments on MU make me wary), but the others are probably useful too.

ibook_steve
Mar 5, 2008, 02:34 PM

Search Versiontracker for BlueHarvest. This is exactly what you need.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules